WSM vs BGE vs Kamado Joe

2,860 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ncsupack1
pkt89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hello, I currently have a WSM which is used for smoking salmon, brisket and butts. I have a gas grill that is used for burger, steaks, etc during the week when convienience is needed.

I have an itch for a new smoker. Probably looking at 18" models. For those that have cooked on all three, what are your thoughts? The WSM seems pretty idiot proof, but temps cant get as high, so it really is just a smoker.

What is the learnign curve on the other two? Are they good smokers or more grills?

I would like to know opinions if cost didn't matter and then if cost did matter between the BGE and Kamado Joe, seeing that the WSM is by far less expensive, I am choosing not to include it in the cost comparison since it woukd win.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
FlossyDFlynt
If you have a Costco membership, look at a Louisiana Grill

https://louisiana-grills.com/collections/charcoal-grills/products/louisiana-grills-red-k24

I believe they run for 650 when Costco stocks them. Ive cooked on BGE and Kamado Joe's before and it does the same job at half the price.

There is a small learning curve with temperature control, but if you are used to charcoal cooking, it wont take long to figure out.
packgrad
I have a WSM that I cooked on for years. Won a lot of neighborhood cook offs with it too. I now use a Kamado Joe Big Joe. My name is Joe. I'm vain. Went into my decision in choosing what kind.

I LOVE my KJ. Honestly haven't used the WSM once since I bought this. Can do high temp cooks and smoke. Not much of a learning curve if you've been cooking on a WSM. Maybe cooking with lump instead of kingsford but I don't think there's much of a learning curve there.

I had an 18" WSM before. That's all they had when I started smoking. When the larger model came out I often wished I had the larger model. That's the reason I bought the Big Joe when I purchased a KJ. I've never thought I should have gotten the smaller model. I like to do big cooks though for a lot of people. With the Big Joe that's is no problem at all. The amount of meat I had on my smoker a couple of weeks ago was moving. Packer Brisket, big butt, 2 racks ribs, chicken wings. Later added jalapeƱo poppers. So fun.

I definitely recommend one. Love mine. Cook on it every week.
Mormad
Love my bge, but I think the KJ does it just as well for less. And it's red.
mrcpack17
I have an 18" WSM that is great. But I have friends that have both KJs and Eggs and based on their experiences and feedback, when I upgrade my WSM, it'll be a KJ.
Bell Tower Grey
I have looked at the WSM, Egg, KJ and also at the Yoder's at Grillbillies. The Yoder is nice, but just way bigger than what I need. Been looking for a while and have decided to get a Big Joe. Now I just have to find one, because they seem to be out of stock.
ncsupack1
I also have a WSM and I love it. I've never used the other smokers. I use what I know and feel comfortable using. I'm fact all of my grills are Weber.
TheStorm
This thread is worthless without pictures!
mrcpack17
My WSM in action last weekend. Also featuring ThermoWorks' Billows in the bottom left, they make some awesome products.
pkt89
Wound uo buying a kamado joe classic....it does get hot. I have been experimenting without food to guage temp's...it's hard to keep it at 250 - 275. Both the bottom vents and daisy wheel are barely open, but wants to run 325 - 350. Granted I have filled up the backet to see how long it would burn, so maybe lack of meat (heat sink) and just too much coal are the problem.

I am using lump.

Any help is appreciated.
Mormad
Start closing the wheel and bottom at around 200, once you overshoot its hard to bring it back down because they retain heat so well. Most cooks at that temp are indirect, so place your diffuser at 225 and that'll lower your temp and then bring it up slowly to 250. Should hold that all day, at least my bge does.
pkt89
"difuser"?
packgrad
The heat deflector.

It's definitely a process learning to get it to temp without overshooting. As mormad said, it's tough to get it down once it gets over, especially if there is a solid lit coal base. A lot of times when I have a full load, I have the top and the bottom barely even cracked once I get to temp and am maintaining temp. The dance is in shutting down the vents. When I start the coals and have a good base lit, as I'm approaching temp I'm more aggressive shutting vents down. Sometimes I have more time and am less aggressive with the starter coal base and it's slower getting to temp, I find when I shut the vents down too soon the temp drops as I'm choking out a not well established coal base. It's a fun hobby to play around with. You'll figure it out after a few cooks.
curmudgeon.zen
Try using briquettes instead of lump. Lump charcoal burns hotter than charcoal briquettes.
Log off. Go outside.
ncsupack1
Thanks. Will have to try it on my WSM.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.