Goldsboro Barbecue

6,722 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by waynecountywolf
kbdavis33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Heading to Goldsboro today. Recommendation on where to get some?
SexualChocolate
Wilbers is my go to but not tried since new owners but I understand that they kept their old pitmaster.
packgrad
Wilber's on principle alone. Used to be the best in the state hands down. I haven't been in quite a while though. I miss driving through Goldsboro on the way to the beach.
SCUDDER
Was at Wilber's a few months ago. Made a comment that the food was just like I remembered years ago. Waitress said it was because the same person was still cooking.
DrummerboyWolf
packgrad said:

Wilber's on principle alone. Used to be the best in the state hands down. I haven't been in quite a while though. I miss driving through Goldsboro on the way to the beach.
You can still go to the beach that way. With the Bypass it's not so bad. Now you will have to get off the bypass to get to Wilbers.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
Bell Tower Grey
SCUDDER said:

Was at Wilber's a few months ago. Made a comment that the food was just like I remembered years ago. Waitress said it was because the same person was still cooking.
We've eaten there three or four times since it reopened, when passing through. Most days, the bbq is as good as, or better than, it was when Wilber's was in its heyday.

I've had one meal there that the bbq tasted old or reheated. I mentioned it to the waitress, she apologized, and brought two new plates from the kitchen to us. Those were back on point, so it must have been some that was from the previous day.

As we left, one of the new owners apologized again, hoped we were satisfied with the new plates, and asked us to please come back. We will go back.
Bell Tower Grey

The chicken and chicken gravy is still good, too. Plus, they serve some beer now.
caryking
Bell Tower Grey said:

The chicken and chicken gravy is still good, too. Plus, they serve some beer now.
And those green beans look good…
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
TopsailWolf
Wilbur's is terrible. Go to Grady's.
Tootie4Pack
TopsailWolf said:

Sorry I did not see this post earlier. Wilbur's is still good, no question, but Grady's may be the best wood cooked BBQ in the entire state. And their sides are outstanding. The sweet potatoe pie is worth driving down there.

And their turkey BBQ that they cook on Saturdays is also outstanding.
ncsupack1
That looks good! I also like the Bud!
Bell Tower Grey
Tootie4Pack said:

TopsailWolf said:

Sorry I did not see this post earlier. Wilbur's is still good, no question, but Grady's may be the best wood cooked BBQ in the entire state. And their sides are outstanding. The sweet potatoe pie is worth driving down there.

And their turkey BBQ that they cook on Saturdays is also outstanding.
Have to agree about Grady's. Really may be the best in the state. I hope they find someone to take it over before they retire. Word has been out that if not, they will shutter the place.
wolfman18
Lived right next to Grady's growing up.....great food and good people. Hope it lives on forever
packgrad
I've never had Grady's. Need to rectify this.
TopsailWolf
You and me both man
Bell Tower Grey
To modify what the late Franc White would say:

"Do yourself a favor and take yourself there"
ciscopack
Bell Tower Grey said:

To modify what the late Franc White would say:

"Do yourself a favor and take yourself there"
Miss Franc White's shows...I have 3 of his cookbooks. Most are on Youtube.

The Southern Sportsman
caryking
Call me a blasphemous... when I want BBQ, I will stop at a Smithfield BBQ for a sandwich. I think they do a solid job.

My favorite place used to be Allen and Son's in Hillsboro; however, I haven't been in a long time. Don't even know if its even open anymore

Joe Biden
Tootie4Pack
caryking said:

Call me a blasphemous... when I want BBQ, I will stop at a Smithfield BBQ for a sandwich. I think they do a solid job.

My favorite place used to be Allen and Son's in Hillsboro; however, I haven't been in a long time. Don't even know if its even open anymore
Mr. Allen retired a few years ago and closed the place. He knew that no one would take the time to cut down the wood that he had always used to cook his Q. It was some mighty good Q, and the desserts were also home made and delicious.

I agree with you that a sandwich from Smithfield's is prety darn good. They pack it full of Q. And a bag of a dozen hot hushpuppies.
caryking
Tootie4Pack said:

caryking said:

Mr. Allen retired a few years ago and closed the place. He knew that no one would take the time to cut down the wood that he had always used to cook his Q. It was some mighty good Q, and the desserts were also home made and delicious.

I agree with you that a sandwich from Smithfield's is prety darn good. They pack it full of Q. And a bag of a dozen hot hushpuppies.
Yep! That red dipping sauce they have is dang good!!!

Joe Biden
hokiewolf
caryking said:

couldn't agree more. Allen & Sons was awesome. I'm sad to see it go.

Locally now, my go to is Picnic in Durham or Sam Jones in Raleigh.
Originator of the Tony Adams Scale
caryking
hokiewolf said:

caryking said:

Never been to Picnic, although, we have friends that swear by them. Sam Jones is excellent! I'm not a fan of Stamey's in Greensboro...

Joe Biden
hokiewolf
caryking said:

hokiewolf said:

caryking said:

Never been to Picnic, although, we have friends that swear by them. Sam Jones is excellent! I'm not a fan of Stamey's in Greensboro...
I won't go any farther west then Hurseys. After that it's that trash western stuff
Originator of the Tony Adams Scale
Bell Tower Grey
hokiewolf said:

caryking said:

hokiewolf said:

caryking said:

I won't go any farther west then Hurseys. After that it's that trash western stuff
Overall, for a large chain, Smithfield's does a consistently good job with their bbq. And their fried chicken is as good as any you will find most anywhere.

That original Allen's was a measuring stick for great, wood cooked bbq in central NC. Mr. Allen most likely never got nearly out of that place what is was worth given the work he put in.

We've eaten at Picnic several times, since our son lives in Durham and he and his fiancee' like going there. Pretty good food, but I find it hit or miss. For the price, I'll go to Hillsborough BBQ.

Haven't tried Sam Jones' place in Raleigh yet. I have tried the place in Winterville as well as the Moore's almost right behind it. Both of them do a great job. I prefer Moore's, Mrs. prefer's Jones' but neither of us would turn a hand over for the difference. When we head that way, we alternate places unless we're headed straight to B's for chicken and bbq.

As for Hursey's...God help us all. I got food poisiong from there many years ago and have never gone back. I have cousins that live in Burlington that rave about a new place called the Smokehouse at Steve's, that has opened.up in Graham. I've not been yet, but want to. They have put it into their rotation so as to hit the place once a week.
Tootie4Pack
BTG: I agree with you about Sam's place in Winterville and Moore's right around the corner. Both serve good Q…. and Sam's has good sides.

If you and your wife are that close , slide on down to Ayden and get some delicious Q at Bum's. Now the Skylight is also in Ayden and is delicious. But I just had some Bum's last week and the wood smoke flavor they get in their Q is outstanding. As good a wood cooked Q as there is. Along with some slaw and collards (and that day some down east fish stew ) my Father and I got several meals / snacks out of that order.

Just wanted to mention that Bum's serves outstanding wood cooked BBQ. I enjoy B's also , but IMO, Bum's is better.
caryking
Who in the Triangle is doing wood cooked bbq?

Joe Biden
TheStorm
hokiewolf said:

caryking said:

Is Bullock's in Durham still open? It's been a minimum of 17 years since I last ate there, but at the time it wasn't as good as Allen & Son's, but far better than Hursey's, Stamey's, etc.
packgrad
Bullocks is still alive and well. Maybe not as good as the old days, but still good. I'm not that big on Picnic. Been a few times and haven't been overly impressed. It's in that trend of "bbq restaurant that serves craft beer" where I sometimes think they put equal effort to their craft beer selection that they do to their bbq. Having said that I still like their bbq and vegetables. The fried chicken sounds majestic on the menu, but doesn't get the smoke flavor they sell on the menu. For this style of bbq restaurant, I more prefer Hillsborough bbq. I like their bbq, chicken, Turkey, and veggies. I have not enjoyed their ribs nor brisket though.
packgrad
I know this is heresy, but the chain Alabama bbq joint Moes (in the old Pizza Palace building by 9th Street) may have the best bbq sandwich in Durham. Their collards and red beans and rice are also quite good as well.
TheStorm
packgrad said:

I know this is heresy, but the chain Alabama bbq joint Moes (in the old Pizza Palace building by 9th Street) may have the best bbq sandwich in Durham. Their collards and red beans and rice are also quite good as well.
Is that the same as this place in Wilmington?

https://www.wilmingtonbiz.com/restaurants/2022/02/09/after_fire_setback_moes_original_bbq_reopens_wednesday/22852
packgrad
TheStorm said:

packgrad said:

Is that the same as this place in Wilmington?

https://www.wilmingtonbiz.com/restaurants/2022/02/09/after_fire_setback_moes_original_bbq_reopens_wednesday/22852

Think it might be. Wondered the same when I was visiting my brother down there last weekend.
barnburner
caryking said:

Sam Jones, Lawrence, Picnic, soon to be Longleaf Swine, The Pit (ugh), BBQ Lab.. I think there a couple more
caryking
barnburner said:

caryking said:

Sam Jones, Lawrence, Picnic, soon to be Longleaf Swine, The Pit (ugh), BBQ Lab.. I think there a couple more
I haven't been to The Redneck BBQ Lab in a few years…. I thought they were as good as it gets…

Joe Biden
SexualChocolate
If you get down to Emerald Isle, Shepards BBQ is a Texas style place that is great. Great family who owns it. Parchment paper with Brisket, pulled pork, Ribs, sausage, Turkey, chicken with collards, Mac n cheese, potato salad, pit beans, and street corn. Only open Wed-Sun but you can preorder or get there early bc they sell out quick.
caryking
Well, with all their BBQ talk, I had to stop in somewhere to get some. So, I stopped into City BBQ, in Cary.

I really like the consistency of their BBQ; however, it didn't have a lot of flavor. Also, it was somewhat greasy. I had to use a ton of their sauce to enjoy it…

Hey, nonetheless, I had BBQ on my 56th birthday today…. My treat to me!

Joe Biden
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.