James Webb Telescope

4,366 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Oldsouljer
metcalfmafia
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm both deeply fascinated by space, but also terrified depending on the day.

Something about it gives me anxiety.
Oldsouljer
metcalfmafia said:

You saying that you don't have "the right stuff"? ;B
metcalfmafia
Oldsouljer said:

metcalfmafia said:

The devil's lettuce tends to help brother.
Civilized
metcalfmafia said:

Oldsouljer said:

metcalfmafia said:

The devil's lettuce tends to help brother.

The vastness of space and the time parameters involved does it for me.

It brings into focus what a tiny speck we are in the continuum of existence.

Fascinating but brain-melting stuff.

Wolfer79
You've seen the first full-color images from the James Webb Space Telescope. So, what's next for the #JWST? @NCStateSciences' Rongmon Bordoloi explains what the telescope will help us learn and how he and his students will play a role. #UnfoldTheUniverse #ThinkAndDo https://t.co/vIANUyGuJd
dogplasma
Check out this image. This is crazy. The spikes/flares are just artifacts from the telescope itself, but the rings are real. They're concentric waves of gas coming off of a binary star system. Whenever the two stars come close to each other, a burst of gas is ripped off one of the stars and emitted into space. So it happens over and over as they orbit each other.

dogplasma
There's also this - the first direct image of another planet by JWST. This one is about 400' light years away and is about 7x the mass of Jupiter. The photo shows the planet in different wavelengths with the star blocked out.

dogplasma
Cool picture of Uranus. Plus it's never not funny to talk about "the rings around Uranus".

https://www.space.com/uranus-rings-james-webb-space-telescope-holiday-photo

Oldsouljer
dogplasma said:

There's also this - the first direct image of another planet by JWST. This one is about 400' light years away and is about 7x the mass of Jupiter. The photo shows the planet in different wavelengths with the star blocked out.

This is a particularly fascinating for several reasons. Do they know what kind of star it is? If it's below F class, could be old enough to allow evolution of life on a habitable world. A world 7x Jupiter's mass could very easily have exo-moons the size of earth with possible atmospheres supporting life. Or if it's out beyond the "frost line" distance from its star, perhaps an earth-like rocky planet exists in the habitable zone, protected from frequent asteroid impacts by the super-Jupiter much as Jupiter is postulated to protect the Earth via its massive gravitational field.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.