James Webb Telescope

4,295 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Oldsouljer
dogplasma
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't think there's too much interest in space science news on here, but still, I saw this update today about the Webb telescope and know that it's a pretty amazing project: The $10B (with a capital B) telescope just reached its final orbit around the sun this afternoon after a 30-day ride and deployment process.

The telescope is so big - unfurled, it's about the size of a tennis court - it had to fold up origami-style into the launch rocket and then undergo a sequence of many events to fully deploy. That sequence included over three hundred single points of failure, any of which could have ruined the whole 20-plus-year project or at least kept it from working as designed. That many opportunities for failure just blows my mind and was the reason for a testing program that is probably unequalled by any other unmanned mission. The whole deployment process is illustrated really well here (if my link works): Deployment Explorer Webb/NASA

Eventually, when the telescope is fully aligned and calibrated by this summer, it will be looking back to within 100 million years from the big bang and will be able to do measurements on the atmospheres of planets around other stars. The mirror is actually 18 individual mirrors that have to align and control independently (at -340 F) to function as a single unit. It's larger than the Hubble telescope, but Webb doesn't really replace Hubble - it sees infrared and Hubble sees mostly visible light.

Anyway, not typical Water Cooler stuff, but maybe someone from NC State, given our engineering backbone, has worked on it at some point. It would be cool to hear about it if they had.
FlossyDFlynt
Been following since launch. The Instagram account that they setup for it has been a good follow as its been going through step by step what they are doing for the deployment. Been really cool to follow along
PackFansXL
It's very cool technology and I am glad it has finally been deployed. It also provides a great example of how inefficient government run programs are these days. If we had chosen private companies to build and deploy with perhaps a $1B prize for first to deliver to the specifications, we could have done this in 2 or 3 years instead of 10 and saved billions in the process.
engineercoach
I've been following a long for a while on this project. I'm glad they've made it this far with it and now we're only a few months away from getting the first images. The entire process had about 380 points of potential failure and the entire process went smoothly. I'm excited for what we could possibly discover out in space
barnburner
It took Bezos 21 years to get his first commercial flight. Branson thought it would take him 3 years but it took 16.
Sometimes governments have to do things that are valuable but difficult to monetize that will benefit private companies and mankind for the future.
Very cool project that will reap benefits for generations. I am excited to see the progress and what a feat!!
packwest
Been following for a while. I can't wait to see first images.
Steve Williams
Staff
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.
dogplasma
Yeah, $10B is a lot, even over twenty years. Still, there is some new useful tech coming out of the program that I'm too lazy to describe here: https://webb.nasa.gov/resources/JWST_spinoffs_v122011.pdf. Also, for perspective, I was thinking that SoFi stadium cost nearly $6B. Granted, I don't think most of that was public money, and it probably has beer and bathrooms.

I also read that the mirror scaffold is made from the metal beryllium, which is 6x stronger than steel and lighter than aluminum. One of my first thoughts was why they don't use that stuff in BattleBots! But it's probably crazy expensive and it also turns out that beryllium dust is toxic, so there's that.
flylike44
Amazing. Can't wait for it to go live. I took "Stellar Astrophysics" at State back in the day because I thought it sounded cool. It sparked a lifelong interest/obsession with our Universe and how it works.
Oldsouljer
I've been interested in extrasolar planets since before I took Space Biology at NCSU as an elective. Have been waiting in anticipation for Webb's launch for a long time. It's kind of a hot local topic in Granville County where a local high school is named after Webb's father.
dogplasma
Looks like mirror alignment is complete!

https://www.space.com/james-webb-space-telescope-better-than-expected-image

All those things behind the alignment star are galaxies. I don't think that's even a fine-tuned image.

Oldsouljer
Incredible engineering. Given the delays and the cost overruns that went into this project, it HAD to work right or future such endeavors were likely to be given a very cold reception by congressional appropriators.
Mormad
So cool
dogplasma
Oldsouljer said:

Incredible engineering. Given the delays and the cost overruns that went into this project, it HAD to work right or future such endeavors were likely to be given a very cold reception by congressional appropriators.
Just imagine how many coaches we could buy out for $10B.
PackBacker07
The universe is f***ing amazing, spherical Earth and all.
Y'all means ALL.
Bell Tower Grey
First time opening this thread; am glad I did. I look forward to seeing the updates and progress as things move ahead.

Thank you for posting this.
dogplasma
First Images From NASA's Webb Space Telescope Coming Soon - July 12!

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2022/first-images-from-nasa-s-webb-space-telescope-coming-soon
PackFansXL
Why is it taking so long?
dogplasma
There was a long cooling off period to let the telescope get down to operating temperature. It's basically a heat telescope so the cold side has to be really cold. Also the instruments took a while to calibrate. Apparently that's a slow process.
Oldsouljer
dogplasma said:

First Images From NASA's Webb Space Telescope Coming Soon - July 12!

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2022/first-images-from-nasa-s-webb-space-telescope-coming-soon
I'm pumped. This is probably the first scope that can maybe verify or rule out if certain planets may be habitable. I'm really looking forward to the images they get from the TRAPPIST system.
caryking
Can somebody please turn the telescope around and take an image of earth? Hell, take a time lapsed image…

I have a friend, who daughter is a flat earther. He is completed lost as what to do in order for her to accept the earth is round.
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
dogplasma
It's the one direction this telescope can't point! But they could drop $250k for a seat on Blue Origin to prove it first hand. Or maybe just a weather balloon and a GoPro - that's probably a lot cheaper and easier.
Oldsouljer
dogplasma said:

It's the one direction this telescope can't point! But they could drop $250k for a seat on Blue Origin to prove it first hand. Or maybe just a weather balloon and a GoPro - that's probably a lot cheaper and easier.
Not sure "cheaper" and weather balloons go together anymore. Helium shortage is real, getting worse, and skyrocketing price-wise. Just ask Nebraska football fans.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/05/24/nebraska-announces-end-red-balloon-release-tradition-helium-shortage#:~:text=May%2024%2C%202022%20Nebraska%20athletic%20director%20Trev%20Alberts,first%20score%20at%20home%20began%20in%20the%201960s.

Anyone wanting to make a potentially lucrative bet should snap up some promising helium stocks.
FlossyDFlynt
With it going live tomorrow, came across this video today

Really looking forward to see what they discover
Bell Tower Grey
Genesis 1

New International Version

The Beginning
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
3 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morningthe first day.
6 And God said, "Let there be a vault between the waters to separate water from water." 7 So God made the vault and separated the water under the vault from the water above it. And it was so. 8 God called the vault "sky." And there was evening, and there was morningthe second day.
9 And God said, "Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear." And it was so. 10 God called the dry ground "land," and the gathered waters he called "seas." And God saw that it was good.
11 Then God said, "Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds." And it was so. 12 The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. 13 And there was evening, and there was morningthe third day.
14 And God said, "Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth." And it was so. 16 God made two great lightsthe greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening, and there was morningthe fourth day.
20 And God said, "Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the vault of the sky." 21 So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living thing with which the water teems and that moves about in it, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 22 God blessed them and said, "Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth." 23 And there was evening, and there was morningthe fifth day.
24 And God said, "Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind." And it was so. 25 God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.
26 Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."
27 So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.
28 God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground."
statefan91
dogplasma

James Webb telescope takes super sharp view of early cosmos - BBC News

I think the rest of the initial science-grade images are being released at 10:30 EST today.
Oldsouljer
The brainiacs estimate there are something like two trillion galaxies in the universe. I've never been clear on how they arrived at that number.
FlossyDFlynt
Civilized
Fascinating stuff from a technical and engineering/production perspective. Somewhat akin to early manned spaceflight in that I'm always completely astounded to see and learn about the process and the actual flight vehicles. Thousands and thousands of opportunities for catastrophe on every flight. And yet still, ~98% of the time it all works even in all its complexity.

Interesting debate also regarding the role of government in funding extremely expensive but potentially life-altering scientific exploration.

All around an incredible topic for conversation.

Can't wait for more of these images to roll in!
dogplasma
Oldsouljer said:

The brainiacs estimate there are something like two trillion galaxies in the universe. I've never been clear on how they arrived at that number.
I would hate to get to 1,900,000,000,000 and then lose count because the dog saw a squirrel out the window.
wolf howl
Love this sort of thing. Always been fascinated looking up at the night sky. Will be curious to see what comes from this project. I'd rather our govt spend money on something like this than other wasteful projects that certainly won't help mankind.

Interesting that they can't point it at Earth, if that is indeed true.
Daviewolf83
More images are to be released today. All of this is fascinating to me and I have been eagerly awaiting these early images. We knew the images would be an improvement on Hubble, but the amount of improvement is stunning to see. Of course, the images are much much better than the images I am able to capture with my telescopes from my backyard of my house or the ones I see monthly in Sky and Telescope.

The really neat thing about astronomy and deep space is the fact you are looking back in time, when you view a deep space object. For example, the image released yesterday is a view of how those stars and galaxies appeared over 4.5 billion years ago. Not only were optics involved with this image. They were also able to use the amplifying effects of gravity to see even further back in time.

Exciting days and years ahead for astronomers.
Oldsouljer
I'm hopeful that JWST hugely advances our ability to characterize potentially life bearing rocky exoplanets.
dogplasma
If this link works, it has the hi res images from today:

https://www.esa.int/ESA_Multimedia/Sets/Webb_First_Images/(result_type)/images

Also, from the broadcast. this guy in red (in the center) from the deep field view is 13.1 billion light years away:

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.