From Brent Road, Lawn Party to tailgating....Craziest stories

3,493 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BBW12OG
BBW12OG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Since we all have been around for decades... let's hear them... no need for names....I'll start.....

1992 Brent Road........ Cops were dressed in plain clothes... carding people on the street randomly. They were dressed like us, had cups like us, hung out with us... until they pulled badges out of their necklaces like on the movies..... $85 drinking ticket. Walked away after they gave it to each of us.... two hours later..... we got another round..... They laughed and said they'd see us later.....
Glasswolf
Well I graduated in 82 so we could drink beer even on campus. We had Campus craze, Campus Jam etc. Craziest story was my wife and her friends lived on Brent Rd. back in 1989. They would sell access to their bathrooms for the ladies so they could pee. (Guys would go anywhere) /She swears they would almost make rent from this.
SportManagementEngineer
BBW12OG said:

Since we all have been around for decades... let's hear them... no need for names....I'll start.....

1992 Brent Road........ Cops were dressed in plain clothes... carding people on the street randomly. They were dressed like us, had cups like us, hung out with us... until they pulled badges out of their necklaces like on the movies..... $85 drinking ticket. Walked away after they gave it to each of us.... two hours later..... we got another round..... They laughed and said they'd see us later.....
That's been the ALE method in the student tailgate lot for a while. They're usually in State shirts, but they're the random "adult" creeping around the tailgates not talking to anyone so they tend to standout.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
Ironwolf
My freshman year was in '72. I was in Bowen Dorm. For a short while you could buy beer at
Tucker Dorm. They had a nice little bar in the basement. You would go to some guy's room on
the 2nd or 3rd floor and buy tickets. Then go downstairs and they would "give" you a six pack.
Did not last too long.
WolfQuacker
I lived on Brent Rd for a year. We, like everyone else, hosted kegs at our house on the party night. Buddy of mine wound up doing some "bouncing" at our place with some dude being a total jackass. Broke his jaw. I wound up in court over it as a witness. When asked if we were charging for access to the kegs, I answered "we were accepting donations" as I was instructed by my buddy's lawyer. Judge chuckled, looked at me and said "good answer, son". Turns out buddy's lawyer and judge went to the same synagoge, and coincidentally my friend got off scott free.

Same year, another friend got a little action under our deck during the party. He wound up covered in poison ivy in places you don't want to get poison ivy.
Cornpack
I'm just sad that the current students will never be able to have an experience with THE Maiden Lane. Lots of good hours were had sitting on the roofs of those houses. The smell of old and alcohol soaked wood will stick with me for the rest of my life. Just before they were set to be torn down my fraternity hosted our national conference in Raleigh. I like to think we sent the street off in a great way in what turned into a "**** the lease" party
Retired internet funny guy
SportManagementEngineer
WolfQuacker said:

I lived on Brent Rd for a year. We, like everyone else, hosted kegs at our house on the party night. Buddy of mine wound up doing some "bouncing" at our place with some dude being a total jackass. Broke his jaw. I wound up in court over it as a witness. When asked if we were charging for access to the kegs, I answered "we were accepting donations" as I was instructed by my buddy's lawyer. Judge chuckled, looked at me and said "good answer, son". Turns out buddy's lawyer and judge went to the same synagoge, and coincidentally my friend got off scott free.

Same year, another friend got a little action under our deck during the party. He wound up covered in poison ivy in places you don't want to get poison ivy.
Both stories, classic. Good stuff.
BBW12OG
I was digging around through some boxes the other day and found two Lawn Party shirts. A group of us, only two being of age, took advantage the year Hootie was there of "borrowing" a huge recycling trash can on wheels from a North Raleigh neighborhood, washed it out and filled it up with 12 - 15 cases of beer.

Remember you could bring in a cooler if you were 21. They didn't say how big it was. All the underage guys carried bags of ice. It was quite the scene.

We staked our spot out right of the stage facing toward the stage next to a fence under a small tree. The bands took notice and they were coming over after they played and drank beers with us. Darius and the guys were there before they went on hanging out.

The idea was great. The work and time it took to get that heavy ass can rolled from the parking area to the bottom in that grass was brutal. I'm pretty sure that recycling can never made it back to its rightful owners.
wilmwolf
An out of town friend visited one year for the Brent Road party. We had friends that lived on Brent, and were at their house along with a massive amount of people everywhere. I think this was the next to last or last real year of the party before they decided to shut it down. My buddy was out on the roof, and decided he would share his goods with the crowd below, and proceeded to drop trousers. Several of Raleigh's finest saw it and decided that crossed the line, and stormed into the house to arrest him. Buddy jumped off the roof on to a table on the deck and took off through the trees with the cops in pursuit. He showed up at our apartment at about 4 that morning, having somehow avoided capture and found his way back to the apartment despite not knowing the area and this of course being in the pre-smartphone era. Certainly a moment none of us will ever forget. Buddy ended up having a long, decorated military career and is now a family man with a bunch of kids. It's amazing some of the things we survived back in the day.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
WolfQuacker
wilmwolf80 said:

An out of town friend visited one year for the Brent Road party. We had friends that lived on Brent, and were at their house along with a massive amount of people everywhere. I think this was the next to last or last real year of the party before they decided to shut it down. My buddy was out on the roof, and decided he would share his goods with the crowd below, and proceeded to drop trousers. Several of Raleigh's finest saw it and decided that crossed the line, and stormed into the house to arrest him. Buddy jumped off the roof on to a table on the deck and took off through the trees with the cops in pursuit. He showed up at our apartment at about 4 that morning, having somehow avoided capture and found his way back to the apartment despite not knowing the area and this of course being in the pre-smartphone era. Certainly a moment none of us will ever forget. Buddy ended up having a long, decorated military career and is now a family man with a bunch of kids. It's amazing some of the things we survived back in the day.
I thank God on a regular basis that camera phones weren't around for our college years!
wilmwolf
Without a doubt.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
metcalfmafia
Cornpack said:

I'm just sad that the current students will never be able to have an experience with THE Maiden Lane. Lots of good hours were had sitting on the roofs of those houses. The smell of old and alcohol soaked wood will stick with me for the rest of my life. Just before they were set to be torn down my fraternity hosted our national conference in Raleigh. I like to think we sent the street off in a great way in what turned into a "**** the lease" party

I was all for Hillsborough Street getting gentrified, but Maiden was too far for me. I saw some stupid **** on that damn culdesac. Never had a chance to live in one of the houses but spent a lot of time over there.
SportManagementEngineer
metcalfmafia said:

Cornpack said:

I was all for Hillsborough Street getting gentrified, but Maiden was too far for me. I saw some stupid **** on that damn culdesac. Never had a chance to live in one of the houses but spent a lot of time over there.

Yes, Maiden Lane and Logan Court all had those old houses knocked down. Some of them were probably safety hazards but it sucks to see.
BBW12OG
WolfQuacker said:

wilmwolf80 said:

I thank God on a regular basis that camera phones weren't around for our college years!
How many of us would be gainfully employed if they had?

We have an entire department, 12-15 depending on the time of year with interns, that is dedicated solely to creating, monitoring and regulating our social media accounts. Not just our work accounts if we choose to have them but we are REQUIRED by company policiy to disclose all social media accounts. If we fail to do so it is terms for immediate dismissal and forfeiture of all earned post employment benefits. i.e. stock that we were given while employed. Tell me that's not a kick in the ass!!!
metcalfmafia
Jesus Christ what kind of company do you work for?
BBW12OG
metcalfmafia said:

LOL... a good one and I fully understand why they do that. We had a Regional Manager in his late 50's 20+ years in posting pictures on Facebook of him and customers/dealer reps out and about in Vegas. Not smart. He was relieved of his duties.

Their mindset is that they take care of us, we are well compensated and we become the "face" of the company in our respective areas/field. I totally agree with that.

Is it a bit of an overreach? Absolutely.

Teachers go through the same exact thing and they aren't nearly as well compensated for their having to abide by those same standards. I think you'd be surprised how many companies actually require that you disclose all social media accounts when you apply nowadays.

Several of my friends have kids entering the work force and I have heard stories from them about their kids stressing about Snapchats being screen shot and saved, twitter posts, etc... I don't think they are much on Facebook anymore but the other stuff is just as brutal if not worse!
SportManagementEngineer
BBW12OG said:

metcalfmafia said:

LOL... a good one and I fully understand why they do that. We had a Regional Manager in his late 50's 20+ years in posting pictures on Facebook of him and customers/dealer reps out and about in Vegas. Not smart. He was relieved of his duties.

Their mindset is that they take care of us, we are well compensated and we become the "face" of the company in our respective areas/field. I totally agree with that.

Is it a bit of an overreach? Absolutely.

Teachers go through the same exact thing and they aren't nearly as well compensated for their having to abide by those same standards. I think you'd be surprised how many companies actually require that you disclose all social media accounts when you apply nowadays.

Several of my friends have kids entering the work force and I have heard stories from them about their kids stressing about Snapchats being screen shot and saved, twitter posts, etc... I don't think they are much on Facebook anymore but the other stuff is just as brutal if not worse!

I know with a few roles I've applied for in recent years, that looking through your social feeds is part of the background check process. As a side anecdote to this, when I worked in college athletics, we had an applicant who was close to getting an offer but when my department looked through their twitter feed, we found that she had been trashing the school/basketball team quite a bit during the season. There was no offer.
BBW12OG
It's the way things are done today. I have 5 direct reports and we just hired a new inside coordinator in anticipation of the economy opening up. We have a "pre-screen" before we bring them in for a face to face interview.

The questionnaire is basic but involves several questions on like "how many hours per day do you spend on electronic devices, social media etc...." If they say more than 5 we don't bring them in.

The lady we ended up hiring is 51. We had 20+ applicants and most of them were just out of college or a few years out. The lack of social skills in that age group is concerning.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.