Listen Up Folks

4,012 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BP Cox
Steve Williams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
It was very important to us to create a free expression message board of sorts to discuss current events. We knew as the numbers grew, so would the challenges of keeping it civil. 2020 and now 2021 have given us some of the most polarizing issues of my life time and with that, comes a wide range of opinions that people are very passionate about.

With all of that said, James and I had a lengthy talk tonight about the Water Cooler and he was going to reach out to our moderators as well. It is perfectly FINE to present your opinions on any topic. You are FINE to disagree with someone else's opinion and explain why you disagree. For the most part, the lion's share of members stick to this. However, the minute you attack an individual you are WRONG. Name calling, personal attacks, etc will result in you being censored. This could lead to your post being deleted, your account being suspended for a period of time or permanent banning. Again, feel free to post what you believe in and defend it. However, no one can be allowed to attack other members because you don't believe or feel the way they do.

We MUST keep this board civil and I want it to continue to grow but it has to do so in a mature way. If you see a post that violates what I've outlined above, flag it so we can take a look at it. We may or may not agree with your assessment but that's the best way you can help us to help keep this board civil. Thanks to you all for coming to our start up site in the first place. We simply want to create an environment where everyone wants to return.
WarrenPeace
This is how a moderator should talk to the rest of us. Some of these guys are on a serious power trip feeling like they are the kings of something.

I mean Glass has threatened to ban me over asking Wilmwolf if he liked hearing himself talk but was on here today talking about being happy if certain folks died or were shot between the eyes.

RWW26 threatened to ban me last year for questioning a Keatts coaching move DURING a game.

I hope these moderators y'all have are being watched just as much as the posters are.
tuffy1006
People are fighting over overpaid stiffs in suits and ties.

RunsWithWolves26
WarrenPeace said:

This is how a moderator should talk to the rest of us. Some of these guys are on a serious power trip feeling like they are the kings of something.

I mean Glass has threatened to ban me over asking Wilmwolf if he liked hearing himself talk but was on here today talking about being happy if certain folks died or were shot between the eyes.

RWW26 threatened to ban me last year for questioning a Keatts coaching move DURING a game.

I hope these moderators y'all have are being watched just as much as the posters are.

Considering that roughly 90% of the post you've had removed were for trolling, disrespectful guest or negativity, it may have been warranted. I personally have removed 3 of the 41 you've had removed.

Edited to add: Your post was flagged twice but I removed the flags and not the post.
cowboypack02
Steve - You and James both have a thankless job here in regards to the message boards, and especially having to deal with us knuckle heads on the Water Cooler. Thank you guys for giving us the outlet here for both the conversation and arguing back and forth.
WarrenPeace
RunsWithWolves26 said:

WarrenPeace said:

Considering that roughly 90% of the post you've had removed were for trolling, disrespectful guest or negativity, it may have been warranted. I personally have removed 3 of the 41 you've had removed.

Edited to add: Your post was flagged twice but I removed the flags and not the post.

Ok. Disrespectful guest I get. I've deserved that a few times. Others get away with far more though to be honest.

Trolling and negativity though? Y'all have to stop with that mess. I've been State fan my whole life and a season tickets holder in at least one of the big 3 sports for 15+ years. I'm anything but a troll. Plus, I'm allowed to have an opinion different from yours, even if it's a negative one.
RunsWithWolves26
WarrenPeace said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

WarrenPeace said:

Ok. Disrespectful guest I get. I've deserved that a few times. Others get away with far more though to be honest.

Trolling and negativity though? Y'all have to stop with that mess. I've been State fan my whole life and a season tickets holder in at least one of the big 3 sports for 15+ years. I'm anything but a troll. Plus, I'm allowed to have an opinion different from yours, even if it's a negative one.

You're certainly allowed an opinion. When it comes down to degrading a player or coach, that's not an opinion.
WarrenPeace
RunsWithWolves26 said:

WarrenPeace said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

WarrenPeace said:

You're certainly allowed an opinion. When it comes down to degrading a player or coach, that's not an opinion.

Yes it is. That's exactly what it is.
RunsWithWolves26
WarrenPeace said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

WarrenPeace said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

WarrenPeace said:

Again, you can have an opinion but you can't degrade a player or coach. Not sure when you joined this site but that was one of the first things mentioned when this pace was started. It happened to much on TOS and it wasn't something that was wanted here. State your opinion without degrading a player or coach and you're fine. Degrade them and it will be deleted.
James Henderson
Staff
I'm right there with Steve on this. I rarely come to the Water Cooler, mainly because I don't enter into political discussions, for the most part, but can we all just act like adults?

We are going to run a tighter ship. I've had complaints sent to me about mods deleting posts b/c they disagree with the post. That's not going to happen anymore. However, stay on topic and don't attack posters.

We don't want to shut down the Water Cooler, but it's an option if the rules violations across the board continue.
ncsualum05
Thanks for this. I don't believe in censoring posts even if they are a bit out there. So if you guys can run this board by eliminating attacks on posters while fostering a full spectrum of ideas and discussions than this will be great. I love this site.
griff17matt
RunsWithWolves26 said:

WarrenPeace said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

WarrenPeace said:

Is there a definition somewhere of degrading a player or coach?

IE - Daniels played like complete trash the last 10 minutes of that game vs Daniels is complete trash as a player and person.

I'd assume the first is allowed and the second is not? I mean, I get that you guys don't want nothing but negativity, but we HAVE to be able to talk about the negative aspects of a specific game or even negative aspects of how a specific player plays, right? Like, I think it would be in-bounds to talk about Daniels' need to work on ball handling and passing decisions but out-of-bounds to say he should have a scholarship.

I'm just not sure how you can have a blanket statement like don't degrade a player or coach. When does that line get crossed? Play? Performance? Improvements? Characteristics? Hell, half the threads on the entire site devolve into one group ganging up on one poster they have decided to not like because that poster is posting something negative. I know for a FACT there have been posts, perhaps jokingly but still, wishing death upon other posters. So that's okay but we can't say something bad about the players or coaches? Why? You can't even stop posters from bullying other PAYING MEMBERS of this site but y'all are gonna get your panties in a wad over a line without a definition? Makes no sense.
statefan91
ncsualum05 said:

Thanks for this. I don't believe in censoring posts even if they are a bit out there. So if you guys can run this board by eliminating attacks on posters while fostering a full spectrum of ideas and discussions than this will be great. I love this site.

This board can get pretty racist, even if it's via dog whistles to do so. I've complained in the past but haven't really gotten much of a response. I would like to see that cleaned up but ultimately James and Steve are responsible for their site and they can run however they think appropriate.
WPNfamily
statefan91 said:

ncsualum05 said:

This board can get pretty racist, even if it's via dog whistles to do so. I've complained in the past but haven't really gotten much of a response. I would like to see that cleaned up but ultimately James and Steve are responsible for their site and they can run however they think appropriate.
I would be interested to know what "via dog whistles" means? Sorry this is a new term for me.
ncsualum05
statefan91 said:

ncsualum05 said:

WarrenPeace
RunsWithWolves26 said:

WarrenPeace said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

WarrenPeace said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

WarrenPeace said:

Again, you can have an opinion but you can't degrade a player or coach. Not sure when you joined this site but that was one of the first things mentioned when this pace was started. It happened to much on TOS and it wasn't something that was wanted here. State your opinion without degrading a player or coach and you're fine. Degrade them and it will be deleted.

I'm fine with that. That falls under disrespectful. You threatened to ban me for saying Roy was out coaching Keatts during a game, which he was. That's BS man.
cowboypack02
statefan91 said:

ncsualum05 said:

What is a dog whistle?
BBW12OG
cowboypack02 said:

statefan91 said:

ncsualum05 said:

What is a dog whistle?
Also what are some examples of the "racist" posts. Please link them or give examples. I have yet to see anything that remotely has been posted that is racist. Also the dog whistle is code word from the left when anything they don't agree with is "hidden" terms for all things conservative. It is their way of interpreting anything they don't agree with as an "-ism"
RunsWithWolves26
WarrenPeace said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

WarrenPeace said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

WarrenPeace said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

WarrenPeace said:

I'm fine with that. That falls under disrespectful. You threatened to ban me for saying Roy was out coaching Keatts during a game, which he was. That's BS man.

Sadly, I can't go back that far and pull up the post you made that was deleted. I tried just so I could get clarification on it. If you are able to, please send it to me via private message.
statefan91
cowboypack02 said:

statefan91 said:

ncsualum05 said:

What is a dog whistle?

"Dog whistle (politics) - Wikipedia
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. In politics, a dog whistle is the use of coded or suggestive language in political messaging to garner support from a particular group without provoking opposition. The concept is named for ultrasonic dog whistles used in shepherding."
acslater1344
statefan91 said:

ncsualum05 said:

agree 100%. they know who they are
caryking
acslater1344 said:

statefan91 said:

ncsualum05 said:

Actually, I don't...

Would be nice to see examples so that we can all call them out for the remarks.

All, I think its important that these allegations are brought forward. For that, I will continue to ask for these examples; therefore, I will start a new thread for this.
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
BBW12OG
pineknollshoresking said:

acslater1344 said:

statefan91 said:

ncsualum05 said:

Actually, I don't...

Yes... please do... haven't seen a racist comment on here and I have read this board for the last couple of years and just recently joined but to my knowledge there hasn't been anything remotely racist posted. If there has I would think that the mods or members of the staff would have deleted and banned the poster. I'm guessing this is just more claiming to be a victim from liberals. You know...like they do EVERY SINGLE DAY. But, prove me wrong. Who posted racist comments, what thread and what was said. Shouldn't be hard since two people are claiming the same thing. I'll sit back and wait for your responses.
ncsualum05
acslater1344 said:

statefan91 said:

ncsualum05 said:

Yeah... who is posting racist comments on this board? I have no idea what you guys are talking about.
acslater1344
ncsualum05 said:

acslater1344 said:

statefan91 said:

ncsualum05 said:

Yeah... who is posting racist comments on this board? I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Not here to call anybody out specifically, but see the George Floyd thread from last summer. Some truly disgusting posts were made. Would love to see those types of threads cleaned up in the future.
IseWolf22
Can someone be banned for lack of paragraph breaks? Asking for a friend
Pacfanweb
I won't say there weren't any such comments in the Floyd thread, I just don't recall them.

I will say that some people do tend to go a bit out of their way to perceive such things, so it's possible that some things posted that had no racist intent might well be interpreted as such by someone who doesn't agree.

TheStorm
BBW12OG said:

cowboypack02 said:

statefan91 said:

ncsualum05 said:

What is a dog whistle?
Also what are some examples of the "racist" posts. Please link them or give examples. I have yet to see anything that remotely has been posted that is racist. Also the dog whistle is code word from the left when anything they don't agree with is "hidden" terms for all things conservative. It is their way of interpreting anything they don't agree with as an "-ism"
Kind of like the "OK sign" that people have routinely been making with their hand for the better part of a century?
wolfman18
griff17matt said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

WarrenPeace said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

WarrenPeace said:

So, can we can some clarity on this?

Is there a definition somewhere of degrading a player or coach?

IE - Daniels played like complete trash the last 10 minutes of that game vs Daniels is complete trash as a player and person.

I'd assume the first is allowed and the second is not? I mean, I get that you guys don't want nothing but negativity, but we HAVE to be able to talk about the negative aspects of a specific game or even negative aspects of how a specific player plays, right? Like, I think it would be in-bounds to talk about Daniels' need to work on ball handling and passing decisions but out-of-bounds to say he should have a scholarship.

I'm just not sure how you can have a blanket statement like don't degrade a player or coach. When does that line get crossed? Play? Performance? Improvements? Characteristics? Hell, half the threads on the entire site devolve into one group ganging up on one poster they have decided to not like because that poster is posting something negative. I know for a FACT there have been posts, perhaps jokingly but still, wishing death upon other posters. So that's okay but we can't say something bad about the players or coaches? Why? You can't even stop posters from bullying other PAYING MEMBERS of this site but y'all are gonna get your panties in a wad over a line without a definition? Makes no sense.
BP Cox
Staff
BBW12OG said:

pineknollshoresking said:

acslater1344 said:

statefan91 said:

ncsualum05 said:

Actually, I don't...

Yes... please do... haven't seen a racist comment on here and I have read this board for the last couple of years and just recently joined but to my knowledge there hasn't been anything remotely racist posted. If there has I would think that the mods or members of the staff would have deleted and banned the poster. I'm guessing this is just more claiming to be a victim from liberals. You know...like they do EVERY SINGLE DAY. But, prove me wrong. Who posted racist comments, what thread and what was said. Shouldn't be hard since two people are claiming the same thing. I'll sit back and wait for your responses.
There have been several comments made that crossed the line. I have deleted a few of them myself.

This isn't about one political ideology or another. These are the efforts to keep this platform and site as a welcome place for NC State fans (and even some UNC fans) to come and get updates on the athletic programs of the school and discuss other topics.

People can have different opinions and debate those views in a civil manner as James and Steve have both mentioned. When things get personal or indecent, there will be recourse for those actions / posts.

If people are openly looking for major political debates, arguments, and even insults I can only recommend they open a twitter account.
IPS Photojournalist
@BPCox_
GuerrillaPack
I agree that it's important to have a non-sports board where we can discuss social and political issues. I think it greatly enhances the site as a whole, and would be great to see this forum grow, and help the entire site grow. And in order to make The Water Cooler a great forum, it needs to be a place where we are able to speak freely, and can have discussions on any topic, and express any view we want -- with the exception of things like personal attacks, of course. More freedom of speech is what makes a forum great, and America great in general. Not less freedom of speech.

I understand that the owners of this site do not want content that is vehemently "racist" posted on the boards...such as use of racial slurs. But the Left's definition of "racist" is extremely BROAD, and encompasses essentially any opinion they disagree with that can remotely be tied to "race". In political and social discussions in society at large, this is why you see the Left referring to virtually everything as "racist", and calling for censorship with that tactic. We must be very careful, IMO, not to censor people on the pretext of "racist" content, when all that is occurring is a civil discussion on topics that are ABOUT the issue of race, or discussion of subjects that TOUCH upon the issue of race.

"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
BP Cox
Staff
GuerrillaPack said:

I agree that it's important to have a non-sports board where we can discuss social and political issues. I think it greatly enhances the site as a whole, and would be great to see this forum grow, and help the entire site grow. And in order to make The Water Cooler a great forum, it needs to be a place where we are able to speak freely, and can have discussions on any topic, and express any view we want -- with the exception of things like personal attacks, of course. More freedom of speech is what makes a forum great, and America great in general. Not less freedom of speech.

I understand that the owners of this site do not want content that is vehemently "racist" posted on the boards...such as use of racial slurs. But the Left's definition of "racist" is extremely BROAD, and encompasses essentially any opinion they disagree with that can remotely be tied to "race". In political and social discussions in society at large, this is why you see the Left referring to virtually everything as "racist", and calling for censorship with that tactic. We must be very careful, IMO, not to censor people on the pretext of "racist" content, when all that is occurring is a civil discussion on topics that are ABOUT the issue of race, or discussion of subjects that TOUCH upon the issue of race.

I agree it is a balancing act. I can assure you that I am all for freedom of speech and allowing people to express themselves. There have been times that I've told folks I would not act on a post because I didn't believe it crossed any lines per what James & Steve have laid out for the site. I'm actually fine with folks cracking on each other and ribbing each other. But you have to watch the edge for sure. It cannot be an outright personal attacks nor veiled racists comments. We're all adults, well, we should be. I think we should all know what is not going to pass that smell test.

Again, this is not an issue of one side getting away with something and the other not. Trust me, I don't want a double standard existing if we can help it.
IPS Photojournalist
@BPCox_
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.