Your favorite rock acts of the 70's

4,229 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ciscopack
Ih8blue77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Allman Bros
(Early) REO Speedwagon
Lynyrd Skynyrd and CDB - tie

Anybody beside me remember when Leon Russell came to State right after his Mad Dogs tour with Joe Cocker?
Glasswolf
ciscopack said:

The way I see as when I was listening....of course times mix

Early 70's - CCR, Hollies, 3 Dog Night, Grand Funk Railroad, Steppenwolf, Rolling Stones

Early mid-70's - Bachman Turner Overdrive, Allman Brothers, Bad Company, Marshall Tucker, Foghat, Outlaws, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Eagles, Doobie Brothers, ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd,

Mid-late 70's - Aerosmith, Kansas, Styx, Boston, Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeppelin (when I was listening to those earlier songs), Peter Framton, Steve Miller

Late 70's - Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot, Nantucket

The Boss....I didn't really know his many great 70's songs well until the 80's....the same with Bob Seger; +many others....I can't do 2-3

Except for the Boss I saw the majority of those groups at Roadies in Goldsboro
Pacfanweb
TheStorm said:

Pacfanweb said:

The first 4 albums by Van Halen are untouchable.
Van Halen

Van Halen II

Women and Children First

Fair Warning

1978, 1979, 1980, 1981 - BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM - one right after the other, and released almost exactly one year apart.

Diver Down was pretty kickass as well, but you could start hearing the commercialization starting to creep in (but it finally got them plays on mainstream radio).

Saw that Fair Warning concert in the old Chrome Dome in Charlotte of all places... Then I saw their very first concert when David Lee Roth came back and Wolfgang's initial live appearance at the Cable Box in Charlotte, and man it was like they had never left!

I agree with every single thing you said in your post! Thanks for going into such detail, I really enjoyed reading it!
I was at the first show of the 07 reunion with Roth in Charlotte, and at the next one in Greensboro. It was great. Roth was making a concerted effort to sing all the words and do it right. Saw them on the second leg in 08 in Raleigh and he was slipping into the "I sing when I feel like it" Dave by then. Next couple of tours he was spotty....2015 in Raleigh, fun show but Dave wasn't great.

He got a lot of criticism in his first Vegas residency show early this year when the videos of him half-ass singing and using that yelpy high voice that sucks that he started with in the 90's..
Well, he must have someone reading the Youtube comments, because in his next show, he went back down into the low register and sounded like David Lee Roth should sound at his age.

Then he was opening for KISS until Covid hit, and he was MUCH better. Staying in his natural range and singing. He was FAR better than Paul Stanley, who sings to a vocal track these days because his voice is long gone.

Check out the Diamond opening for KISS:

Pacfanweb
Glasswolf said:

I'm going to lose my man card for this but in 1984 I took my ex wife to see the Bangles and Cyndi Lauper at Cameron indoor. Missed most of the bangles but Cyndi Lauper rocked from the minute she hit the stage till she left.

Saw VH at carter Finley and Reynolds in 1981.

Actually worked for Loverboy in 83. They had a band opening for them called Zebra. Fantastic group

VH in Reynolds was in 82. First concert ever for me, 2nd row right center aisle. I couldn't hear for 3 days.

Nothing wrong with the Bangles. You got to see prime Susanna Hoffs. And I always liked Cyndi.

You gotta do what you gotta do for the women occasionally. I had to go with the wife to see Rick Springfield at Red Hat a couple years ago. Could have been worse...lots of middle-age cougars there to see.
Steve Williams
Staff
Glasswolf said:

I'm going to lose my man card for this but in 1984 I took my ex wife to see the Bangles and Cyndi Lauper at Cameron indoor. Missed most of the bangles but Cyndi Lauper rocked from the minute she hit the stage till she left.

Actually worked for Loverboy in 83. They had a band opening for them called Zebra. Fantastic group

I remember Zebra, they got some airplay on MTV back in the 80's IIRC
Ripper
Ripper said:

The Dead, Hot Tuna (Jorma), Zep, Neil Young, and Allman Bros.
Forgot to include Eric Clapton. Definitely one of the greatest 70's Rock acts.
Glasswolf
Pacfanweb said:

Glasswolf said:

VH in Reynolds was in 82. First concert ever for me, 2nd row right center aisle. I couldn't hear for 3 days.

Nothing wrong with the Bangles. You got to see prime Susanna Hoffs. And I always liked Cyndi.

You gotta do what you gotta do for the women occasionally. I had to go with the wife to see Rick Springfield at Red Hat a couple years ago. Could have been worse...lots of middle-age cougars there to see.
I started smoking Hash 3 days before that concert. 81 and 82 kinda blended in together
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

Steve Williams
Staff
Glasswolf said:

Pacfanweb said:

Glasswolf said:

I started smoking Hash 3 days before that concert. 81 and 82 kinda blended in together
LOL!
Ironwolf
Used to love QDR back when it was album rock. Bought a lot of albums just by listening to the cuts
you would never hear on any other stations. Was sick when they changed formats. Then came RDU but
it was never the same.
Tootie4Pack
Ironwolf said:

Used to love QDR back when it was album rock. Bought a lot of albums just by listening to the cuts
you would never hear on any other stations. Was sick when they changed formats. Then came RDU but
it was never the same.

WQDR was a great AOR radio station. I remember when The River came out by Bruce. Within a week had heard 3/4 of that double album on QDR. Daniel the DJ loved him some Bruce.

In fact , today being Bruce's birthday , I remember being in my 2 best friends dorm room in Sullivan Dorm as they were playing Bruce songs all day to celebrate his birthday on WQDR.

That was 40 years ago today. Damn, I'm getting old.
TheStorm
Tootie4Pack said:

Ironwolf said:

it was never the same.

WQDR was a great AOR radio station. I remember when The River came out by Bruce. Within a week had heard 3/4 of that double album on QDR. Daniel the DJ loved him some Bruce.

In fact , today being Bruce's birthday , I remember being in my 2 best friends dorm room in Sullivan Dorm as they were playing Bruce songs all day to celebrate his birthday on WQDR.

That was 40 years ago today. Damn, I'm getting old.
Was one of those guys originally from Hillsborough?
Tootie4Pack
No, both of them are from Garner and both of them still live there.

And they still like good rock and roll....we've been texting about the new release from Bruce.
Steve Williams
Staff
Just curious, is there a station within a hundred miles of Raleigh that plays new rock music?
Pacfanweb
Steve Williams said:

Just curious, is there a station within a hundred miles of Raleigh that plays new rock music?
Not that I know of.

103.5 used to, but I don't know now. I listened to them when I could pick it up a few years back, before I
subscribed to XM. They had a nice mix...they'd play you some Van Halen, Aerosmith, Stones, etc, and they'd mix in some new bands as well. It was kind of like when WRDU used to do the "best of the old, best of the new" back in the day, before they started just recycling the old stuff all the time.
RDU checked out of the new music business after the grunge bands. That was the last new music they played.

Subscribe to Sirius/XM, you'll never go back.
ciscopack
Steve Williams said:

Glasswolf said:

Pacfanweb said:

Glasswolf said:

LOL!
I don't know about the 80's but in the 70's TKE loved some blonde.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.