How does our NC State degree stack up?

3,383 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Mormad
Mormad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With my daughter about to start at State, her BF headed off to Stanford, and all the kids headed off to various great schools, I've thought a lot lately about how our degrees stack up to these other universities. She would have been highly competitive to go to "bigger named" school from an academic perspective, but she was just so comfortable with State.

My daughter, on the surface, picked State for swimming. Hard to blame her. But she's also aware of what a State degree can do for people, and she's obviously listened to my incessant defense of all things NC State. And she BELIEVES in NC State and in its rigor and preparation for future success. I just LOVE that. She totally gets it. I'd put my ChemE degree from State up against any degree anywhere. Prolly goes back to childhood and all the moo u, state college, farmer, red headed step child crap I heard from holes, but nothing gets me more defensive than people discrediting the quality of education available at State.

What do you guys think? Am I drinking the Kool aid? Do we or do we not get the credit we deserve?
lumberpack5
Mormad said:

With my daughter about to start at State, her BF headed off to Stanford, and all the kids headed off to various great schools, I've thought a lot lately about how our degrees stack up to these other universities. She would have been highly competitive to go to "bigger named" school from an academic perspective, but she was just so comfortable with State.

My daughter, on the surface, picked State for swimming. Hard to blame her. But she's also aware of what a State degree can do for people, and she's obviously listened to my incessant defense of all things NC State. And she BELIEVES in NC State and in its rigor and preparation for future success. I just LOVE that. She totally gets it. I'd put my ChemE degree from State up against any degree anywhere. Prolly goes back to childhood and all the moo u, state college, farmer, red headed step child crap I heard from holes, but nothing gets me more defensive than people discrediting the quality of education available at State.

What do you guys think? Am I drinking the Kool aid? Do we or do we not get the credit we deserve?
I don't hire people anymore, but in the past, if you hired someone from NC State they could jump through the hoops necessary to do a job. Hiring firms like NC State graduates. Everyone who enrolls at Duke is going to graduate unless they shoot someone, so that means you can get a numb nut from some of these "more" exclusive places. The real measure in a way is the willingness for Duke and UNC to hire NC State grads.
I like the athletic type
RunsWithWolves26
My dad graduated in 78 with a degree in food science. He retired from the USDA 4 years ago and for the last 15 years of his career, he was the boss to people with 6 and 8 year degrees from other colleges. He did ask at one point why that was. He was told that a degree from NC State meant you weren't manageable material but management material. He laughed about that. A poor kid from Jacksonville NC being the "boss" to others who thought they had more education. Oh, and he never allowed me to have anything that was any shade of blue. I'm in my mid 30's and I still don't own anything blue. Lol
IseWolf22
I firmly believe my NC state degree holds up against other top schools. I went into corporate tech consulting out of undergrad and most of my peers went to more "prestigious" universities. I was more than able to hold my own and often found that the skills I learned in school were more relevant to the work situations we encountered.
Later one of the partners that leads recruiting in the SE told me that NC State has a reputation in the firm. Our top end graduates are just as smart as other school's top graduates, but we are humble, hardworking, and willing members of a team, making us some of the best hires overall
Pacfanweb
Don't post at PP anymore, but read sometimes. There's a "What college for my kid" thread there

One post was pretty spot-on, IMO: He said your college gets you your first job. After that, it's what you've done.

Not always true, but I suspect that it's mostly true.

As far as the actual education....if you get a STEM degree from NC State, you're not going to be less-educated in that area than any other school.

My daughter is a rising senior, wanting to do bio chem. She's looked at State, Duke, Wake, Johns Hopkins, MIT, Harvard, you name it. Can probably get into all of them. Is above the top % for GPA, SAT, ACT, etc. for all of them, anyway.

She's likely going to go to whoever offers the most money....we already know she can basically go for free to Johns Hopkins. MIT is free, you just have to get in. Harvard would probably be free or close to it.
Duke estimates 4800 per year before any academic scholarships, so probably free. Same with Wake.

State says up near 10k per year. Also before academic scholarships, but state schools seem to be behind the curve in this area....UNC says about the same.

So I'm not sure that a bio chem degree from NC State would leave you any less-educated than one from MIT....but I'm reasonably sure that if you show up for a job with an MIT degree, THAT might be a little more eye-opening to the employer than one from NC State. It's not always about the quality...optics matter, too.
Mormad
Your post shows the importance of endowments. We could do better, but that's another discussion for a different thread I guess.

Why biochem? I probably haven't had the right discussions with my daughter about majors. She wants to do biology, because she likes it and may use it as a stepping stone to vet school.

I do think optics matter, but are likely very dependent upon the whos whens and wheres.
Mormad
I do wonder if Stanford and mit and Harvard get better professors such that learning chemistry, physics and math leaves kids better prepared than those from NC State. It happens at the high school level I think, but it's a difficult thing to measure.
PackMom
My daughter was accepted at MIT and Caltech, among others. Chose State, and graduated with separate BS degrees in chemistry and math, then got her Ph.D. at Duke in Biophysics.

As you say, preparation is key. At State they told her if she earned AP credit for the first semester of a paired class but not the second, they'd advise her to take that first semester anyway because of the connectivity between the two, but if she earned credit for both, it was fine to go on to the next.
FlossyDFlynt
Pacfanweb said:

One post was pretty spot-on, IMO: He said your college gets you your first job. After that, it's what you've done.
This is one that I certainly agree with. When I graduated from State in 09, there werent any job due to the market crash. I eventually got a crappy job running an IT department for an Orthopedic group. Now where State helped me tremendously is that I learned and observed how they handled the business side of their practice and realized they were horrific at actually running a business. Granted, they didnt give any thought to it because the business side wasnt where their money was coming from, but it helped me realize where I could carve out something that could help my career. I was also exposed to their vendors (drug reps, EHR systems, etc.) which was a great networking experience. As much as I hated that job, it certainly helped my career. And I am 100% certain that if I didnt have my degree from State, I may still be stuck at that type of crappy work.
Pacfanweb
Mormad said:

Your post shows the importance of endowments. We could do better, but that's another discussion for a different thread I guess.

Why biochem? I probably haven't had the right discussions with my daughter about majors. She wants to do biology, because she likes it and may use it as a stepping stone to vet school.

I do think optics matter, but are likely very dependent upon the whos whens and wheres.
Genomics. Conservation biology, genetics. Those are her interests. So an actual biochem degree isn't set in stone, but definitely in that area.
Turfpack
While each degree is very program-specific in determining how it's viewed from folks unaffiliated with NC State, I'd suggest that State is generally regarded as a higher mid-tier to lower high-tier STEM school, with certain programs that are considered exceptional. For Liberal Arts and Non-STEM degrees, my assumption would be that the perception would be lower.

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter, in my opinion. My experience has been that the perception is driven by alumni networks, and many southeastern schools don't have the sheer numbers in alumni networks of some of our neighbors in the Big Ten or Ivy League. Midwestern schools have been cranking out dozens of thousands of graduates annually for 75-100 years while the growth of southern schools has really been more since the early 90's. For instance, a quick search shows Ohio State claims roughly 500,000 living alumni while NC State is about 250,000. That's quite an opportunity for those alums to tout their degrees with voices that outnumber NC State 2:1. Some perception is warranted, but I think it can be easily manipulated.
If you can't mow it, don't grow it.
Colonel Armstrong
To me it boils down to a few factors

1. How much did you pay for the education?
2. What are your job prospects when you graduate (ie, can your degree make you money)?

State does a phenomenal job with both of those so I'd definitely say we stack up really well against other major universities.
Pakbackr
I work in Computer Science and interact with lots of companies. Recruiters covet NC State graduates, especially in STEM fields like CSC. The fact that our CSC program is in the College of Engineering is viewed as a key differentiator by recruiters as companies view our graduates as great 'problem solvers'. Our CSC grads almost always have multiple job offers by the time they graduate and their salaries are the tops at NC State. Our December BS grads in CSC reported average starting salaries of over $80,000. Most of our grads (over 75%) stay in NC, helping fuel our economy, but Silicon Valley is the #2 landing spot. A survey from a few years ago showed that Silicon Valley companies love NC State grads too, as we ranked #13 as the most popular school to recruit from nationwide, and #7 of schools not located in California.

All that to say, when you consider the cost and quality of most degrees at NC State, and the reward on the other end, we stack up pretty darn well!
johntom
https://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report/best-schools-by-state/bachelors/north-carolina

This link is by no means an official analysis of salaries by school, but I think it is a good reference. There are many other sources that show similar information/rankings though.

State, by potential salary, is the best public school in the state and are ranked close to or ahead of a few schools that some would consider a "better school." To me salary potential is the value of your degree. Others look at it differently. I do think it's a solid starting point. I think this link shows that State is the best value in NC for college.
IseWolf22
Pakbackr said:

I work in Computer Science and interact with lots of companies. Recruiters covet NC State graduates, especially in STEM fields like CSC. The fact that our CSC program is in the College of Engineering is viewed as a key differentiator by recruiters as companies view our graduates as great 'problem solvers'. Our CSC grads almost always have multiple job offers by the time they graduate and their salaries are the tops at NC State. Our December BS grads in CSC reported average starting salaries of over $80,000. Most of our grads (over 75%) stay in NC, helping fuel our economy, but Silicon Valley is the #2 landing spot. A survey from a few years ago showed that Silicon Valley companies love NC State grads too, as we ranked #13 as the most popular school to recruit from nationwide, and #7 of schools not located in California.

All that to say, when you consider the cost and quality of most degrees at NC State, and the reward on the other end, we stack up pretty darn well!
I just shake my head when someone tries to argue that a UNC CS degree is better than NC State. Look at the freaking numbers coming out of both programs.
Pacfanweb
IseWolf22 said:

Pakbackr said:

I just shake my head when someone tries to argue that a UNC CS degree is better than NC State. Look at the freaking numbers coming out of both programs.
Yeah, I looked up that list, found the top 25 schools for Silicon Valley. UNC isn't on it.
kmb717
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/28/the-top-50-us-colleges-that-pay-off-the-most-in-2020.html?__source=twitter|makeit

#20 in Public Schools
GeeBee
My Son was accepted to engineering schools at the University of Tennessee (in state for us), Virginia Tech and Clemson but was not accepted at NC State. He applied only to these schools. While he wanted to go to State he was not interested in a Wake Tech or other transfer routes so he is going elsewhere to my chagrin. But, it does tell me that the selectivity of applicants has gone off the charts in comparison to years gone by. For example my daughter was accepted 3 years ago with lower scores than he earned in standardized testing and was not accepted to Clemson back then.

So our University is changing in terms of applicant scores and selectivity.. We will never rank as high as liberal arts schools or private schools as the purpose of a land grant University is more to provide opportunity for education while having less concern for entrance selectivity. And if a student is not willing to work in order to take advantage of the opportunity, they don't graduate - which goes counter to US News ranking criteria. IMO schools that are hard to get into but easy to graduate from build an entitlement culture for students. NC State is far from that and that is why employers covet our graduates. We stack up.
Mormad
I agree. We definitely stack up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.