Oldest thing you own

8,997 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by RodanthePier
NatePait94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A nickel from 1905.
2 silver dollars, both 1922.
My great Grandfathers Rapala Marttiini filet knife that he purchased in Finland during his time in service, WW2.
We're all Red on the inside. Some of us are just Blue in the face, and they're sick.
Pacfanweb
I'll have to think about it, but I know I have my Grandfather's medical discharge papers from the Army during WWI. Had a heart problem (18 years old, I believe he was at the time)

Pacfanweb
ncsupack1 said:

A 1949 IH Cub tractor. Still runs great!

I have one of those. It's supposed to be a 47 model. Never checked the VIN to be sure. Grandfather bought it around 1950 or so, according to my Dad.
Dunlow66
Also picked up a few of these over the years. No idea how old some of them are

Dunlow66
ncsupack1
WolfStock said:

I'm a bit of a coin collector. Probably my favorite is a 1788 Massachusetts Cent (for a brief period) after the revolution a few states put out their own coins):

There's a bit of a personal connection as I was born in MA.

Thats pretty cool.
packlawyer04
wolfpack1437 said:

Have boxes of native American stuff from family property that is anywhere from 12000 bc to just a few hundred years ago. Several pieces of furniture from 1600s. Some silverware from a family of and from the time of the American revolution
That native american stuff is pretty cool.
PackFansXL
My old arrowhead collection from land near my grandmother's house around Fairview, NC is pretty cool and the oldest thing I have.
Jacksonvillewolf
A French Bible with hand painted pictures in it from 1846.
Wufwuf1
A box full of family papers from 1790 - 1920's used to try to prove ownership of lands around Rahway, NJ, Jersy City and Meadowlands back in the 1930's. Some cool stuff with some witnesses on documents I have been able to find in the Continental Army and several wills including one from the owner of an inn that serves as the residence for the current Historical Society of Rahway.
PackMom
We have an old family Bible from 1801. There are some pieces of furniture that may be older than that, but I have no documentation on them.
PackFansXL
PackMom said:

We have an old family Bible from 1801. There are some pieces of furniture that may be older than that, but I have no documentation on them.
Wow, I'll bet that's a treasured book.
Cole's commandments:

1) You get out what you put in
2) Treat everyone the right way and stand for something
3) Never accept mediocrity in anything
PackMom
PackFansXL said:

PackMom said:

It really is. We also have a German Bible from the 1800s that belonged to my great-great grandfather, who was a preacher.
PackFansXL
PackMom said:

PackFansXL said:

PackMom said:

It really is. We also have a German Bible from the 1800s that belonged to my great-great grandfather, who was a preacher.
Family heirlooms are special and books are great. A pair of treasured family Bibles are another measure.

Do you do anything unusual to protect these items?
Cole's commandments:

1) You get out what you put in
2) Treat everyone the right way and stand for something
3) Never accept mediocrity in anything
PackMom
The 1801 Bible had been kept on a coffee table in the living room. It's not in pristine shape, but it's still out in our living room now. The German Bible is wrapped in acid-free paper and stored. I'm not even sure when I last had it out, but I should check on it.
stiflersmom
I have a trilobite that is 500 million years old, or 4500 depending upon what you consider a day to be.

For man made stuff I have some arrowheads like the poster above, coins from the early 19th century and the oldest family item is 1/2 of a grist mill stone that I use as a step(like other family members have used for about a century).
ValleyWolf
One book from 1700s but exact date is hard to determine.
Book on Infantry tactics dated 1832. Lots of notes in it and would say it went through "The War".
WolfStock
stiflersmom said:

I have a trilobite that is 500 million years old, or 4500 depending upon what you consider a day to be.

For man made stuff I have some arrowheads like the poster above, coins from the early 19th century and the oldest family item is 1/2 of a grist mill stone that I use as a step(like other family members have used for about a century).

Eh? I didn't think there was more than one way to measure a day. Or a year. Might have to expound on that.
WPCHRIS
I'm on the younger side so my family hasn't passed anything surprisingly old to me.

I got my a first edition Robert Frost New Hampshire as a wedding gift, I think that was published in 1923.
waxhaw
I have a Winchester lever action rifle (cowboy rifle) from the late 1800s. My grandfather gave it to me.

My dad has a chest of drawers that supposedly came over on the boat with our family. I'm not sure how old it is but I would guess mid to late 1800s.

I also have a few bottles of cardiac pack cola that will be 35 years old in March.
basementwolf
I have a Model 1873 Trapdoor Springfield rifle. Built in the 1870's and it's still a shooter.
DirtPitPacker
wife
pack99
Several items of furniture that date at least back to my great grand parents. One of my favorites is a wooden cigar box that my great, great grandfather used kept on his work desk. Also some old coins and Confederate money.
cowboypack02
I recently found a penny from 1909 while going through my grandfathers things
fitz89
I had a student give me an algebra textbook from 1887. (great year)
Go State!
RodanthePier
I have a railroad pocket watch from my grandfather that is probably over 125 years old. Doesnt run, but looks good. I have a .32 caliber auto from a dead german in WWII my dad brought back. Made in 1942. Cycles bullets like a champ.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.