Story Poster
NC State
Duke
NC State Baseball

DUGOUT REPORT: Duke Knocks Wolfpack Out of ACC Title Contention

May 23, 2024

No. 12 NC State's Elliott Avent and Alec Makarewicz and No. 17 Duke's Chris Pollard, Devin Obee, and Andrew Healy met with the media following the Wolfpack's 8-1 loss to the Blue Devils Thursday evening.

Makarewicz went 2-for-4 at the plate with one run scored. Obee hit a two-run home run in the top of the sixth inning to cap off a 2-for-3 performance at the dish. Healy picked up his third win of the season after striking out four batters while allowing just one hit over five shutout innings.

NOTE: Click on each respective thumbnail to watch each press conference in the player above.

DUGOUT REPORT: Duke Knocks Wolfpack Out of ACC Title Contention

2,706 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by wilmwolf
livewolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am really dumb on this topic, but I thought it was double elimination?
braz213
If it is we got really screwed. Again.
Francis
I thought it was double elimination as well.
Nairo
Pool play is single elimination, at least as far as I can tell with this Swoffified format.

3 teams, 2 games. Bottom two plays first. Top seed plays loser. Winners meet, winner advances to semis, which is then double elimination
PKAwolfpacker
Nairo said:

Pool play is single elimination, at least as far as I can tell with this Swoffified format.

3 teams, 2 games. Bottom two plays first. Top seed plays loser. Winners meet, winner advances to semis, which is then double elimination

Wrong
getwicked
Nairo said:

You can make the semis with a loss if another team doesn't go 2-0.

PKAwolfpacker
Schedules are made as soon as regular season ends and pools are formed. Advance by going 2-0 against the other 2 teams or in the event of 1-1 tie between 2 teams, the higher seed advances, which is why we could have lost to vt, beaten Duke, and advanced.
WilmingtonPackman777
PKAwolfpacker said:

Schedules are made as soon as regular season ends and pools are formed. Advance by going 2-0 against the other 2 teams or in the event of 1-1 tie between 2 teams, the higher seed advances, which is why we could have lost to vt, beaten Duke, and advanced.

*1-1 tie across 3 teams, highest seed advances.
(I've been a college baseball expert since April, not May, so I know things)
Wolfer79
WilmingtonPackman777 said:

PKAwolfpacker said:

*1-1 tie across 3 teams, highest seed advances.
(I've been a college baseball expert since April, not May, so I know things)

We will add you to the Holiday Inn Express game viewing events
Wlfpackamk
Dunno if you know this but according to social media, NC SH** is back and we suck and the end of the world is near and fire everyone.

Geez this fanbase.
Wearestate13
Yeah but when you're in the semis, winners go to title game and losers are done.
packguy75
Four teams advance to semi-finals - Pool A plays Pool D, Pool B plays Pool C (1 v 4, 2 v 3). The winners play for the championship. Single elimination -
Pakbackr
The VT win was fun to watch, but I am always concerned about the next day performance after blasting a team. I'm sure my theory can be disproven by someone on here, but it sure seems that - more often than not - explosive performances are followed by the polar opposite! This one hurts!
MoCoWolf
Nairo said:

no.
DJncsu13
IIRC, the coaches across the league voted on this format because it kept their pitching very similar to a traditional week/weekend type series. Doing traditional double elimination was wearing arms out, especially right before NCAA Tournament regionals started.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
pluralitus
The format is cool, but it makes more sense to me if the 2 lower seeds in the pool play first, and the loser of that game is eliminated. Us playing VT was a pointless mid-week matchup jammed in the middle of the ACCT.
Bigwuf
You just knew that, as soon as the VT coach announced that State was probably one of the best teams they have played, we were screwed for the game against Duke the following night.
wilmwolf
The tournament format was changed in the fall off 2016 to the current iteration, coincidentally following UNC not qualifying for the ACC tournament, which they felt kept them out of the NCAA that year. Perhaps by 2026 folks will understand how it works. It's a dumb format, the top four teams should just get a bye, and then you wouldn't have meaningless games.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.