#Pack9 (18-11, 8-7) @ UNC-Wilmington 4/9 6(4-5 loss)

1,910 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by Alex Gee
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UP NEXT

NC State's seven-game road trip continues on Tuesday as the Wolfpack travels to UNCW for a midweek matchup. Tuesday's game in Wilmington is set for 6 p.m. and will stream live on FloBaseball.
Wolfer79
The NC State baseball team continues its seven-game road stretch with a midweek matchup at UNCW on Tuesday night. Tuesday's game is set for 6 p.m.

Tuesday's contest will stream live on FloBaseball. This is a subscription-based service. A free audio stream will be available for Tuesday's contest on the Varsity Network App and will be available on the radio on WKNC 88.1.

SCOUTING UNCW

UNCW (19-13, 7-2 CAA) went 2-2 this past week with a home midweek victory over No. 20 Coastal Carolina before dropping two games out of three to CAA rival College of Charleston over the weekend. The Seahawks got off to a hot start in league play, posting back-to-back sweeps over in-state foes Elon and North Carolina A&T to start 6-0 in CAA action. The Seahawks are 0-2 so far this season against ACC opponents, falling to Boston College and North Carolina in midweek matchups earlier in 2024. The Seahawks rank second in the CAA in home runs (49), homers per game (1.53) strikeouts per nine innings (9.6) and fielding percentage (.977). UNCW sophomore Tanner Thach leads the Seahawks with 16 homers, 42 RBI, 94 total bases, 42 hits and a 1.126 OPS.

https://gopack.com/news/2024/4/8/baseball-pack9-travels-to-wilmington-for-in-state-matchup-at-uncw
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Whitetailpack
Score?
WolfQuacker
4-2 Surfer boys. Top4th
MoCoWolf
sigh.
rmcwpups
This team is slumping bad
Slobbering_Wolf
rmcwpups said:

This team is slumping bad

Not sure we were ever that good to be honest
wilmwolf
I'm at the park. We had the tying and go ahead runs on in the ninth, but their SS caught a liner to end it. UNCW wins 5-4. Win Scott and Derrick Smith had great outings from the pen, but A Mak was the only one doing anything from the plate with two homers. I think UNCW threw every left hander they had. We need to find another right handed bat somehow.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Whitetailpack
Lost 5-4

#2 Clemson up next.

Yikes.
Borowolf10
Clemson this weekend, Campbell mid week, UNC the following weekend. Getting late early for these guys.
wgpack
5 straight losses. Not much going right. Not sure how we can get better. Pitching staff is a mess.
Alex Gee
Staff
wgpack said:

5 straight losses. Not much going right. Not sure how we can get better. Pitching staff is a mess.

Hitting a much bigger problem than pitching right now IMO
wilmwolf
Alex Gee said:

wgpack said:

Yup. Not the popular thing to complain about, but this team is built around hitting and we aren't right now. Eli has hit that draft year wall guys do sometimes. We've got six straight lefties in the order, none of them hit left handed pitching great. I understand why the order is the way it is, but it puts a lot of pressure on the top three guys when the other team has a bunch of lefties to throw at us. I liked what we got out of Scott and especially Smith today, he looked great. Just need to get the hitting mojo going.
matracey
wilmwolf said:

Alex Gee said:

wgpack said:

Yup. Not the popular thing to complain about, but this team is built around hitting and we aren't right now. Eli has hit that draft year wall guys do sometimes. We've got six straight lefties in the order, none of them hit left handed pitching great. I understand why the order is the way it is, but it puts a lot of pressure on the top three guys when the other team has a bunch of lefties to throw at us. I liked what we got out of Scott and especially Smith today, he looked great. Just need to get the hitting mojo going.

Yep 13-1 when we score 7 or more runs. Haven't scored 7 in the last 5 games. Gotta get the bats woken back up.
Alex Gee
Staff
matracey said:

wilmwolf said:

Alex Gee said:

wgpack said:

Yep 13-1 when we score 7 or more runs. Haven't scored 7 in the last 5 games. Gotta get the bats woken back up.

Thanks for doing that. I hadn't realized it was that significant. 7-8 seems to be the number around the country right now that you have to get to.

I think the balls are juiced this year
LegacyPack4
Sorry if this is a question everyone already now's the answer to but I am just now switching my attention over to the baseball team.

Where is Soles?
wilmwolf
Soles was injured running the bases on March 29th against Notre Dame.
Wolfer79
NC State's ninth-inning rally came up short in Tuesday night's 5-4 loss at UNCW.

Faced with a 5-3 deficit entering the ninth, Brandon Butterworth drew a one-out walk before Garrett Pennington roped a single to center field to put runners at the corners. Alec Makarewicz, who finished the night 4-for-5, singled to right field to bring home Butterworth and make it a 5-4 game.

After a lineout put two down in the ninth, Makarewicz and Pennington advanced to second and third, respectively, on a wild pitch to put the tying run at third and the go-ahead run at second. Josh Hogue worked into a hitter's count at 2-0 before scalding a line drive to UNCW shortstop Kevin Jones, who knocked Hogue's line drive up into the air before hauling in the final out to seal the win for the Seahawks.

UNCW (20-13) struck first when John Newton lifted a sacrifice fly to right field in the bottom of the first, giving the Seahawks a 1-0 lead. The Seahawks stretched their lead to 3-0 with a pair of runs in the second, scoring their first run via a balk before leadoff batter Aiden Evans delivered an RBI single.

Makarewicz cut the Wolfpack's deficit to one with a two-out, two-run homer in the top of the third. NC State (18-12) kept the inning alive when Pennington singled with two outs. Makarewicz then crushed a 424-foot shot over the scoreboard in right field to make it 3-2. Makarewicz's 12th homer of the season set a new single-season career high, besting his previous high of 11 homers in 2022 and 2023.

UNCW plated one in the third and fifth frames to re-establish its three-run lead. The Wolfpack stranded runners at second and third with two outs in the fifth as Case Stroup battled back from a 3-0 count to get a groundout to end the inning.

Makarewicz homered for the second time in the top of the seventh, smacking a homer from the right side to log home runs from both sides of the plate. Makarewicz's solo shot trimmed the Wolfpack's deficit to 5-3 heading to the seventh-inning stretch.

Bullpen efforts from Win Scott and Derrick Smith kept the Wolfpack within striking distance the entire night. Scott set a new career-high with 4.2 innings pitched as the first NC State pitcher out of the bullpen, allowing just three hits and two runs with three strikeouts. Smith then retired six straight batters in his two innings pitched, striking out five consecutive UNCW hitters to cap off his performance. Smith's five strikeouts marked a new career-high for the sophomore.

NC State starting pitcher Hollis Fanning suffered the loss, dropping to 2-1 on the season. Case Stroup (1-0) earned the win for UNCW, while Cody Benton recorded the save.

UP NEXT
NC State concludes its season-long seven-game road trip at No. 2 Clemson this weekend. The Wolfpack's series at Clemson begins Friday night at 6 p.m. at Doug Kingsmore Stadium.

https://gopack.com/news/2024/4/9/baseball-pack9s-ninth-inning-rally-falls-short-at-uncw
StateFan2001
Alex Gee said:

wgpack said:

Wow. Not sure I agree with that. Our bullpen has thrown it a little better of late but we are falling behind early in every game because of awful starting pitching. Hard way to win ballgames. Have to figure a way to get some quality starts. Need Sam and Logan to settle things down for us and then find someone to start Sunday. Maybe it is time to see what Van Dam can do.
pack2010
Alex Gee said:

matracey said:

wilmwolf said:

Alex Gee said:

wgpack said:

Thanks for doing that. I hadn't realized it was that significant. 7-8 seems to be the number around the country right now that you have to get to.

not true. there are 219 teams that have a sub 7 ERA. let's not act like that is the norm.

FWIW NC State is 206th in the country in team ERA. 201st in the country in walks per 9.
Alex Gee
Staff
pack2010 said:

Alex Gee said:

matracey said:

wilmwolf said:

Alex Gee said:

wgpack said:

not true. there are 219 teams that have a sub 7 ERA. let's not act like that is the norm.

FWIW NC State is 206th in the country in team ERA. 201st in the country in walks per 9.
7-8 runs scored. The average number of runs scored in ACC games this year is right at 7 for every team. Our offensive output in April is 4, 1, 6, 6, 4.
StateFan2001
Alex Gee said:

pack2010 said:

Alex Gee said:

matracey said:

wilmwolf said:

Alex Gee said:

wgpack said:

7-8 runs scored. The average number of runs scored in ACC games this year is right at 7 for every team. Our offensive output in April is 4, 1, 6, 6, 4.

And we are behind big early in many of those games. It changes things when you are down 7-1 after 3 innings. The offense will be fine yes there will be bumps offensively there always is. We have to pitch better with our starters. Highfill has been all we have been able to rely on.
Alex Gee
Staff
StateFan2001 said:

Alex Gee said:

pack2010 said:

Alex Gee said:

matracey said:

wilmwolf said:

Alex Gee said:

wgpack said:

And we are behind big early in many of those games. It changes things when you are down 7-1 after 3 innings. The offense will be fine yes there will be bumps offensively there always is. We have to pitch better with our starters. Highfill has been all we have been able to rely on.
I mean I guess, but hitting is hitting and the fact of the matter is we aren't scoring above league average in conference games except for twice against BC and once against ND. We have to hit better.

Winners scored on average 8 runs per game this weekend. It's an offensive league and we aren't performing to a good enough standard right now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.