Story Poster
Photo by Steve Murphy/Inside Pack Sports
NC State Baseball

WATCH: Avent, Soles, Whitaker Speak in Wolfpack's Final 2023 Press Conference

June 4, 2023

NC State's Elliott Avent, Noah Soles, and Logan Whitaker met with the media following the Wolfpack's 11-1 loss to Campbell in the 2023 NCAA Columbia Regional.

Soles went 2-for-3 at the plate versus the Camels. Whitaker, a teammate of Soles’ since the two played at Ledford HS in Thomasville, N.C., tossed 4-1/3 innings in the Pack’s regional opener.

NOTE: Click on the video in the player above to watch the NC State press conference.

WATCH: Avent, Soles, Whitaker Speak in Wolfpack's Final 2023 Press Conference

2,919 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by wilmwolf
Packfanme1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Other than the first game win, we were not very competitive in this regional. The careless way we played this last game was very disappointing. As a season ticket holder, I saw a few glimpses of a good team this year, but somehow we just never seemed to be able to put it all together against other good teams. Pitching depth was one of several issues.
Jesus, Family, Wolfpack!
CLTWolf
Packfanme1 said:

Other than the first game win, we were not very competitive in this regional. The careless way we played this last game was very disappointing. As a season ticket holder, I saw a few glimpses of a good team this year, but somehow we just never seemed to be able to put it all together against other good teams. Pitching depth was one of several issues.

The last game, sure. Against the SCar we had the tying run at the plate several times at the end but let's not let facts get in the way of a good 'ol boo hoo fest.

We also beat several good teams during the season. We just couldn't win a series.

100% agree that pitching depth was an issue. Injuries killed this staff over the last couple years from Whitaker's multiple arm injuries, to Sam's back to Willy's stuff as well. We also lost Payne for the year. He was gonna be a (hopefully) reliable arm out of the pen and a midweek start option. Time to blow it up and work different angles as far as the pitching staff is concerned, IMO.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
Glasswolf
CLTWolf said:

Packfanme1 said:

The last game, sure. Against the SCar we had the tying run at the plate several times at the end but let's not let facts get in the way of a good 'ol boo hoo fest.

We also beat several good teams during the season. We just couldn't win a series.

100% agree that pitching depth was an issue. Injuries killed this staff over the last couple years from Whitaker's multiple arm injuries, to Sam's back to Willy's stuff as well. We also lost Payne for the year. He was gonna be a (hopefully) reliable arm out of the pen and a midweek start option. Time to blow it up and work different angles as far as the pitching staff is concerned, IMO.
Man, I completely forgot about Payne. Hopefully he's fully recovered and can be a major contributor next season.
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

CLTWolf
Glasswolf said:

CLTWolf said:

Packfanme1 said:

Man, I completely forgot about Payne. Hopefully he's fully recovered and can be a major contributor next season.
Agreed. He had the 3rd most appearances of the staff last year, IIRC.
Packsd14me
CLTWolf said:

Packfanme1 said:

I agree about the So Carolina game. I thought we were the better team. Walks cost us. We hit the ball better all game long. I would like to go back to 2 on- one out and Soles batting and not pinch hit, just to see what would happen. A base hit there makes it 6-4 likely and Groover coming to the bat. I think that's pretty competitive. Since we heard Fritton was out, that's the only way we were winning that regional. Pitching depth was an issue.

Note here. Jacob Halford was really good in his short stint. Where has he been?
CLTWolf
Packsd14me said:

CLTWolf said:

Packfanme1 said:

I agree about the So Carolina game. I thought we were the better team. Walks cost us. We hit the ball better all game long. I would like to go back to 2 on- one out and Soles batting and not pinch hit, just to see what would happen. A base hit there makes it 6-4 likely and Groover coming to the bat. I think that's pretty competitive. Since we heard Fritton was out, that's the only way we were winning that regional. Pitching depth was an issue.

Coach said in the post game that Halford has dealt with some injury stuff but I think his main problem is that he wasn't throwing strikes. No idea what the injury was.
Alex Gee
Staff
Packsd14me said:

CLTWolf said:

Packfanme1 said:

Halford had some solid pre-season buzz. Started our midweek game against Elon and was lit up. Only got one out. Gave up 3 hits, 2 walks, 5 ER. It was brutal and definitely set him back.

Came in against UNC in the Saturday blowout loss and pitched fairly well.

He has juice. Would be awesome to see him blossom into a weekend bullpen arm.
CLTWolf
Alex Gee said:

Packsd14me said:

CLTWolf said:

Packfanme1 said:

Halford had some solid pre-season buzz. Started our midweek game against Elon and was lit up. Only got one out. Gave up 3 hits, 2 walks, 5 ER. It was brutal and definitely set him back.

100%

If he can control the off speed stuff and pump FBs in for strikes regularly then he could be a candidate for a closer role next year. Guys like Halford a pitching lab would do wonders for.
Packsd14me
Alex Gee said:

Packsd14me said:

CLTWolf said:

Packfanme1 said:

I thought he look pretty good. One start seems like it wasn't enough opportunity to relax. I think he could have worked his way up into time this year, given the chance. Maybe the staff underestimated him because Elon was a little better than they thought?
wilmwolf
CLTWolf said:

Packsd14me said:

CLTWolf said:

Packfanme1 said:

Coach said in the post game that Halford has dealt with some injury stuff but I think his main problem is that he wasn't throwing strikes. No idea what the injury was.
On the radio broadcast Andrew said that he was injured, got better, and then aggravated the injury. Didn't give any other specifics.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.