News on State Softball Job? 6/3 Lindsay Leftwich named

12,787 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Wolfer79
chippertorry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any news or rumors on the softball job? Interviews taken place?
Glasswolf
Last I heard a potential coach was still coaching in the tournament. That was early last week
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

Whitetailpack
Jenelle Breneman - UNCG?

Ashley Chastain - UNC Charlotte?
chippertorry
Heard UNCG coach "likely" to UNC.
pack2010
chippertorry said:

Heard UNCG coach "likely" to UNC.
FWIW UNC is also looking at south carolinas coach too. She is a UNC alum, so could be an option. IF the UNCG coach is pretty solid, could be good for us if UNC doesn't poach her.
JCooke93
Duke AC/HC ?
chippertorry
UNCG Coach hasn't shown much interest in our job the last two times.

She is very good.

UNCG wins and wins a lot. Look at their recent success in the Socon

Reminds me a little of Wes Moore and his time at UTC
chippertorry
Heard another rumor about UNCC staff but will see.
JCooke93
Oh boy
JCooke93
So we hired a LSU AC hm
pack2010
https://extrainningsoftball.com/north-carolina-state-hires-lindsay-leftwich-head-coach/
Glasswolf
She looks qualified to my slow pitch softball eyes lol

Glasswolf
A couple of the players both current and former seem to think this is a great hire

ncsuchris
Glasswolf said:

She looks qualified to my slow pitch softball eyes lol
what does that mean?
Dr Wire
Broussard vouch for her?
I40Wolf
braz213
I40Wolf said:

ncsuchris said:

Glasswolf said:

She looks qualified to my slow pitch softball eye

That's exactly what I thought it meant.
Glasswolf
Means from the outside it looks like a good hire

ncsuchris
Glasswolf said:

Means from the outside it looks like a good hire

smh
JCooke93
Go Pack
Glasswolf
As I said, the only thing that matters is the players are very excited about the hire. What I think or anyone else thinks is useless as far as the program in concerned

Wolfer79
89_Grad
After last disaster of a hire, what player wouldn't be excited about anyone else with a brain wave? So that's certainly necessary bit not sufficient in evaluating a hire. Was it softball or volleyball that we hired the assistant from Arizona couple of hires back?
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
wilmwolf
What's going on this thread, why are people in their feels? Are there some missing posts I didn't see?
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
89_Grad
After last disaster of a hire, what player wouldn't be excited about anyone else with a brain wave? So that's certainly necessary bit not sufficient in evaluating a hire. Was it softball or volleyball that we hired the assistant from Arizona couple of hires back? Hiring assistants is basically a roll of the dice. But given the precarious state of the Department 's finances, about the best we can do...
PKAwolfpacker
Can you clarify what you mean by the "precarious department financials"? Legitimately curious if you have insight.
89_Grad
PKAwolfpacker said:

Can you clarify what you mean by the "precarious department financials"? Legitimately curious if you have insight.
Look at how difficult it has been to raise money for Doak improvements. My point is, there isn't a lot of cash sitting around for a sport like softball. We are DFL among all public universities in ACC in athletics fundraising last time I looked (neck and neck with Georgia Tech)
ncsupack1
Best of luck and wish the best. I'll be honest though I don't know much about softball.
DecaturWolf
Reading her bio on GoPack tells ne that Boo went out and got a really good head coach.
Posted for years as ColoradoWolf and Rick from Littleton. On Twitter as @espwapoujacmel
Rob McLamb
Staff
89_Grad said:

PKAwolfpacker said:

Look at how difficult it has been to raise money for Doak improvements. My point is, there isn't a lot of cash sitting around for a sport like softball. We are DFL among all public universities in ACC in athletics fundraising last time I looked (neck and neck with Georgia Tech)
NC State is in a decent spot, facility-wise, in softball. It can flip quickly, as Duke did from the ground up over the past few years. If the Wolfpack gets someone who can lead and recruit, they can be a program that reaches the postseason almost annually and makes a deep run every so often.

If comparing to SEC, Oklahoma, Oregon, UCLA, and the like, then NC State has a ways to go -- but most other schools do too.
Twitter: @RobMcLamb
89_Grad
Rob McLamb said:

89_Grad said:

PKAwolfpacker said:

NC State is in a decent spot, facility-wise, in softball. It can flip quickly, as Duke did from the ground up over the past few years. If the Wolfpack gets someone who can lead and recruit, they can be a program that reaches the postseason almost annually and makes a deep run every so often.

If comparing to SEC, Oklahoma, Oregon, UCLA, and the like, then NC State has a ways to go -- but most other schools do too.

I certainly agree with you that we should be doing better than last year's record. Been more or less downhill since Shawn Rychik's first season... They shouldn't have gotten rid of Lisa Navas
Rob McLamb
Staff
89_Grad said:

Rob McLamb said:

89_Grad said:

PKAwolfpacker said:

I certainly agree with you that we should be doing better than last year's record. Been more or less downhill since Sean Rychik's first season...
Shawn Rychick's third season, then it fell apart. In 2015, NC State hit a walk-off homer to win the program's first regional. I was there.
89_Grad
Rob McLamb said:

89_Grad said:

Rob McLamb said:

89_Grad said:

PKAwolfpacker said:

I certainly agree with you that we should be doing better than last year's record. Been more or less downhill since Sean Rychik's first season...
Shawn Rychick's third season, then it fell apart. In 2015, NC State hit a walk-off homer to win the program's first regional. I was there.

What do you think was the problem with rychick? We know Patrick Swift was a total disaster, but I don't recall a team this bad under either him or Lisa Navas...
Rob McLamb
Staff
89_Grad said:

Rob McLamb said:

89_Grad said:

Rob McLamb said:

89_Grad said:

PKAwolfpacker said:

What do you think was the problem with rychick?
He didn't recruit well enough. He could coach with the best of them but did not adequately replace the Navas players he inherited, who were extremely good.
chippertorry
Zero ties to NC with her resume.

As someone that has coached Travel Softball in North Carolina for several years and currently has a 2026 softball player, I can tell you that NC State is "not relevant" in the softball world. Needed to hire someone with NC ties IMO,

Perhaps they tried and got Plan F. I hope she does great and wins BIG .

Just adding my .02
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.