Patrick Bailey Called up 5-19-2023

9,566 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Wolfer79
Alex Gee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Joey Bart goes onto the 10 day IL. Patrick called up. 3 good, young catchers on that roster. Excited he's getting a shot.

Wolfpack91
Congratulations to Patrick Bailey and welcome to the Show.
Wolfer79
Wolfpack91
https://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore/_/gameId/401471686

Bailey made his MLB debut last night as a defensive replacement in 7th inning.

Did not get a plate appearance.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Alex Gee
Staff
Pat just hit his first big league homerun.

Alex Gee
Staff
wilmwolf
Everyone knew Bailey was a pro when he stepped on campus. Glad he's getting some action so early in his pro career. Great for him and great for our program.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
DrummerboyWolf
Great job for Patrick getting his first action, his first hit, and his first home run all in the first couple of days of action. Hopefully he is in The Show to stay and he makes it a great career.

WELL DONE YOUNG MAN!
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
DrummerboyWolf
Wolfer79 said:

Also my oldest son's birthday today as he turns 43. It is also the birthday of the guy who was right beside me in the Marching Band for 4 years too. Unfortunately that means that Patrick is young enough to be my grandson. Wow where has the time gone? Happy Birthday Patrick.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
wilmwolf
Funny to think that so many Giants fans on Twitter thought he was a wasted pick with the other catchers they already had in the organization.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
WP
I listen to KNBR (SF sports talk radio....also broadcasts Giants games) any time my wife isn't in the car. As great as he's been offensively, they say his greatest attribute is his defense, framing and how well he's handling the pitchers (who are all old other than Webb). In a very short time, he's made Joey Bart trade bate.
tripchuck
Joey Bart optioned to Triple A today. Patrick now officially the Giants starting catcher.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Bailey wows Kapler with 'superstar-caliber' night

Rookie backstop lifts Giants to comeback win with three-run homer, clutch throw

Prior to Friday night's game against the Mets, Giants manager Gabe Kapler was asked to compare catcher Patrick Bailey to San Francisco legend Buster Posey.

Kapler's response: pump the brakes. Bailey has been in the league for a little over a month.
"Let's just let things unfold," Kapler said.

After San Francisco edged the Mets 5-4 at Citi Field, though, it sounded like Kapler had begun to change his tune, having witnessed one of the rookie's best games of the season. Bailey crushed the game-winning three-run homer off reliever David Robertson in the top of the eighth inning, then did his best impersonation of Johnny Bench in the ninth, throwing out Starling Marte, representing the tying run, as he tried to steal second base.

"That was as good as it gets," Kapler said. "That was superstar-caliber stuff. A big three-run home run against one of the tougher relievers in baseball. Absolute perfect throw."

When Bailey was in the Minor Leagues, he was projected to be a strong defensive catcher, likely no more than a backup. His offensive stats were not impressive. In 193 Minor League games, Bailey batted .251.

Since making his Major League debut on May 19th, Bailey is more than just a backup catcher. In fact, he's one of San Francisco's best players, hitting .322 with five home runs and 26 RBIs in 33 games.

"It feels like I've played 33 games. I feel like I'm getting into the routine of things, just playing baseball every day," Bailey said. "It's just sticking to the game plan, whatever that may be against a certain pitcher. … Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't."

On why he has improved in the batter's box, Bailey said, "A lot of the credit is the way the game changes in the big leagues, especially from the catching side. The defense is more valuable, and I think it takes a lot of pressure off the hitting. Anything I can do at the plate is kind of looked at as a bonus. I just go up, try to stick to my approach. If it works out, great. If it doesn't, I'll catch up."

Bailey caught up to Robertson in the eighth inning. With San Francisco down, 4-2, entering the frame, Joc Pederson reached base on an error by first baseman Pete Alonso and J.D. Davis followed with a walk. Up next, Bailey hit a 1-1 pitch over the center-field fence to give San Francisco a one-run lead. According to Statcast, the home run came off his bat at 107.3 mph, with a projected distance of 432 feet.

New York had a chance to at least tie the score in the bottom of the ninth. With Marte on first base as a pinch-runner with one out, Bailey and closer Camilo Doval were reminded by quality assurance coach Nick Ortiz that Marte, who has 21 steals on the season, could be running. Sure enough, Marte made the attempt. Bailey threw him out.
"[Doval] did a job of getting one of his quicker moves to the plate," Bailey said. "Fortunately, it was a fastball up and I was able to put a good throw [to second base]."

The homer by Bailey took right-hander Alex Cobb off the hook, leaving him with a no-decision. After missing time with a left oblique strain, Cobb returned to the mound and pitched five innings, allowing three runs [two earned] on six hits with three strikeouts.

https://www.mlb.com/giants/news/patrick-bailey-hits-clutch-homer-makes-key-throw-to-second
Wolfer79
#Giants at #Mets
MLB Regular Season
7:10 pm ET
ESPN

@karlravechespn (pbp), @PerezEd (analyst), @dcone36 (analyst) & @Buster_ESPN (reporter) #MLB
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.