Story Poster
NC State Baseball

IPS TAKE: Wolfpack Baseball Intel And Discussion

June 3, 2022

In this feature we discuss NC State infielder Tommy White entering the transfer portal, ODU star Carter Trice transferring into the program, and much more!
To watch this video, you must be a Inside Pack Sports Premium subscriber.
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial

IPS TAKE: Wolfpack Baseball Intel And Discussion

8,851 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by wolfgators
packwest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
James is going to make you earn the Tommy White back story….
wilmwolf
I haven't listened all the way, but I agree with Ethan on the NIL part. Tommy could get NIL money even at a JUCO. He's got deals with Bose and barstool and all kinds of stuff that's not specific to any school. If it was just about money, then you wouldn't let the FSU rumors even get out. Just go straight to the portal and let the bidding commence. There are schools in Florida just as close or closer to where he's from that would give him big bucks. I think his people, aka his dad, are letting the connection to FSU blind them to his best interests (not to mention, if they love FSU so much, why not just go there out of high school?). If I was advising him, I'd tell him to go to JUCO, play third base, hit fifty homers, and get drafted. He won't do anything in two years at FSU or any other school that would help his draft stock more than that.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Packsd14me
I think this is personal for Tommy versus $$. Avent and company likely promised him 3B to get him here. He got here but wasn't good enough defensively win the job. Thus, no amount of money makes Tommy trust Avent's promise to play and a promise to get a shot wasn't good enough this time. FSU's 3B is a 5 year senior transfer that hit .235 with 7 homers. Tommy would have likely played in front of him for them this season. The promise to get on the field is huge here. As one pro scout told my son "go where you can get on the field so I can see you play". "I can't evaluate you in the dugout". I think it's as simple as that. He didn't play third and he felt he was promised it. No promise changes trust. We don't have to like it or root for him. And I might accidentally let an inside pitch get away from me in every game next year to show my displeasure....but Tommy has to do what he thinks is best for him.
Pack87
Packsd14me said:

I think this is personal for Tommy versus $$. Avent and company likely promised him 3B to get him here. He got here but wasn't good enough defensively win the job. Thus, no amount of money makes Tommy trust Avent's promise to play and a promise to get a shot wasn't good enough this time. FSU's 3B is a 5 year senior transfer that hit .235 with 7 homers. Tommy would have likely played in front of him for them this season. The promise to get on the field is huge here. As one pro scout told my son "go where you can get on the field so I can see you play". "I can't evaluate you in the dugout". I think it's as simply as that. He didn't play third and he felt he was promised it. No promise changes trust. We don't have to like it or root for him. And I might accidentally let an inside pitch get away from me in every game next year to show my displeasure....but Tommy has to do what he thinks is best for him.
He played first, then went to third, got hurt and was shut down. LIkely Hood goes pro and Green to SS then third is open again next season. Don't know where this narrative came from that he didn't get to play third.
wilmwolf
I think that we told him he would have a chance to play third, and he did. Nothing about anything I know about Avent would lead me to believe he would guarantee him he would play at third just to get him to campus. Avent says what he means, which is sometimes good and sometimes not. Maybe it's semantics between giving him a chance and that being interpreted as a guarantee. Who knows. I still say that if he hadn't been hurt, he'd have finished the year at third. But when you get a guy with his offense, it's not smart baseball to risk him getting injured again just to placate his desire to play third. He got injured on a play third basemen have to make multiple times a game, you can't have him back out there dislocating his shoulder.
Cincinnati Wolf
I don't think it was NIL related either. He turned down offers to join The Pack of Wolves.

My understanding was he didn't show he could handle 3rd base in the preseason so he started at 1st. Then he had some issues so tried 3rd, had more issues and became DH. He was struggling some keeping his head in game at DH only so he went back to 3rd. In that stretch he had a 3 error game and then he got hurt diving for a ball. If he hadn't gotten hurt he would have finished the season at 3rd unless he kept having errors. He finished the season very strong at DH..

It doesn't matter where he goes, he will need to improve his fielding so he isn't a liability at 3rd or 1st. He doesn't have the speed to play in OF.

This immediate transfer rule needs some modification.
CLTWolf
Packsd14me said:

I think this is personal for Tommy versus $$. Avent and company likely promised him 3B to get him here. He got here but wasn't good enough defensively win the job. Thus, no amount of money makes Tommy trust Avent's promise to play and a promise to get a shot wasn't good enough this time. FSU's 3B is a 5 year senior transfer that hit .235 with 7 homers. Tommy would have likely played in front of him for them this season. The promise to get on the field is huge here. As one pro scout told my son "go where you can get on the field so I can see you play". "I can't evaluate you in the dugout". I think it's as simply as that. He didn't play third and he felt he was promised it. No promise changes trust. We don't have to like it or root for him. And I might accidentally let an inside pitch get away from me in every game next year to show my displeasure....but Tommy has to do what he thinks is best for him.
The Assistant Director of Scouting for the Nationals told me last week at the Miami game that he's seen (along with all the other scouts as well) plenty of Tommy White and knows what he can and can't do. I posted this previously but the scout said the main question is what position can he play? The bat absolutely plays but where else you gonna put him?

You nailed it though, Tommy has to do what he thinks is best for him. I 100% agree with that.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
Pakbackr
Perhaps the most interesting thing about this entire hour long ramble was the discussion about Avent near the end....that makes you wonder.
SportManagementEngineer
If the $1000 a month thing for quality SEC baseball players is true, you're talking a little over $100k for your batting order. Almost makes you want to go all in on baseball and spend "big" in the transfer portal. Zig where others are apparently zagging.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
Packsd14me
Pack87 said:

Packsd14me said:

He played first, then went to third, got hurt and was shut down. LIkely Hood goes pro and Green to SS then third is open again next season. Don't know where this narrative came from that he didn't get to play third.

I agree with everything you said. I didn't even say I wasn't on Avent's side. But I think Tommy thought he was going to be given third base, Avent gave him a chance and Tommy failed. So Tommy wants a guaranteed 3B spot, which in my estimation is not in the best interest of the team. All this is on Tommy to me. But, we can like it or not, Tommy has to look out for himself. We don't have to like it, think it's right or treat him nicely when he comes to Raleigh.
wilmwolf
The most interesting thing to me was James being bad cop and Ethan being good cop, normally the roles are reversed it seems.
Lsnoel3
If you can't EARN a spot in the field on a college team, how do you ever expect to EARN one in the pros. It starts with earning it in practice. Can'f force a coach to play a kid so he can showcase his ability. The coach is judged on winning as well as DEVELOPING talent. Going to play somewhere that you can get on the field ain't going to help when everyone is as good as pro fielders.
Colonel Armstrong
Awesome listen. I would caution against saying Tommy is easily replaceable though. From a production and just fun to watch standpoint. Not many guys in any sport that can generate the excitement that he can. Every time he's up to bat the entire stadium was paying attention
tau06
CLTWolf said:

Packsd14me said:

The Assistant Director of Scouting for the Nationals told me last week at the Miami game that he's seen (along with all the other scouts as well) plenty of Tommy White and knows what he can and can't do. I posted this previously but the scout said the main question is what position can he play? The bat absolutely plays but where else you gonna put him?

You nailed it though, Tommy has to do what he thinks is best for him. I 100% agree with that.

Yep, if Tommy can't transform his body big time in the next 2 years it doesn't matter how much he plays 3B in college. Will never get out there in the pros
Bcwhitl2
I feel like you can't replace him with one guy, but get a couple who can also play defense, steal some bases, and you'll replace his production in other ways. 27 HRs don't have to be replaced if you're getting on base and scoring in other ways
MaxPack
Bcwhitl2 said:

I feel like you can't replace him with one guy, but get a couple who can also play defense, steal some bases, and you'll replace his production in other ways. 27 HRs don't have to be replaced if you're getting on base and scoring in other ways

And if your defense is preventing the other team from scoring
WolfQuacker
Bcwhitl2 said:

And you don't need to replace it 100% if your defense improves and doesn't give up as many runs.
PKAwolfpacker
Did he have an FSU offer coming out of HS?
PackFansXL
PKAwolfpacker said:

Did he have an FSU offer coming out of HS?
As one of the top high school players in the country who many thought would go straight to the minor leagues, I am confident he had an offer to FSU unless he made it obvious he was firmly committed to NCSU.
James Henderson
Staff
Cincinnati Wolf said:

I don't think it was NIL related either. He turned down offers to join The Pack of Wolves.

My understanding was he didn't show he could handle 3rd base in the preseason so he started at 1st. Then he had some issues so tried 3rd, had more issues and became DH. He was struggling some keeping his head in game at DH only so he went back to 3rd. In that stretch he had a 3 error game and then he got hurt diving for a ball. If he hadn't gotten hurt he would have finished the season at 3rd unless he kept having errors. He finished the season very strong at DH..

It doesn't matter where he goes, he will need to improve his fielding so he isn't a liability at 3rd or 1st. He doesn't have the speed to play in OF.

Turning down POW doesn't mean NIL wasn't a factor. He could have wanted an exclusive deal or a larger deal from another school.
poexcuse
James Henderson said:

Cincinnati Wolf said:

Turning down POW doesn't mean NIL wasn't a factor. He could have wanted an exclusive deal or a larger deal from another yes school.
I disagree with Ethan spending 10 minutes listing Tommy's short comings. If he was coming back, would Ethan give us this same break down? I doubt it.
I do agree with Ethan that the team performance going forward probably will not change much if any. On the other hand, It's a big blow for the program to lose a star.
Best of luck Tommy. I enjoyed watching you play.
FLWolf
Tommy has a ton of friends at FSU and these are others he played summer ball with that are heading there this year

Who knows, maybe he hated NC or Raleigh

Even if NIL didn't play a factor, it will. He will get some big time offers this month
EthanBarry
Staff
poexcuse said:

James Henderson said:

Cincinnati Wolf said:

Turning down POW doesn't mean NIL wasn't a factor. He could have wanted an exclusive deal or a larger deal from another yes school.
I disagree with Ethan spending 10 minutes listing Tommy's short comings. If he was coming back, would Ethan give us this same break down? I doubt it.
I do agree with Ethan that the team performance going forward probably will not change much if any. On the other hand, It's a big blow for the program to lose a star.

We talked about the concerns all year and dating back to the draft as to how he even made it to State in the first place
poexcuse
EthanBarry said:

poexcuse said:

James Henderson said:

Cincinnati Wolf said:

We talked about the concerns all year and dating back to the draft as to how he even made it to State in the first place
This is just talk but I feel if he was coming back it would have been much more "glass half full" than what I heard. I heard a few "Tommy better..." phrases that I do not think I would have heard if we were not singing our version of "he's gone". I understand when the face of the program bolts before we even get the uniforms washed it stings.
CLTWolf
poexcuse said:

EthanBarry said:

poexcuse said:

James Henderson said:

Cincinnati Wolf said:

This is just talk but I feel if he was coming back it would have been much more "glass half full" than what I heard. I heard a few "Tommy better..." phrases that I do not think I would have heard if we were not singing our version of "he's gone". I understand when the face of the program bolts before we even get the uniforms washed it stings.
You'd be wrong. Ethan has a rep for the "negative" when, especially in this case, he's just being honest. Hell, I've mentioned Tommy's crappy approach at the plate a few times but when you have a swing with so few holes it helps. It's also been mentioned many times that Tommy doesn't really have a position especially at the next level but his bat plays everywhere.

poexcuse
CLTWolf
poexcuse said:

JCooke93
I am A little bit excited about the portal
gabeezzell04
What do you know
Bell Tower Grey
JCooke93 said:

I am A little bit excited about the portal
Wife, GF (or both) give you a "yes" promise for later?
wofpac
From what I have seen, White might want to give it a try behind the plate. His infield fielding skills were poor.
Civilized
I don't know about y'all but I don't want any coach in any sport giving a guarantee to play a guy or gal, no matter how they perform.

Tommy's bat is plus plus but Avent can't afford to literally tell him "We'll start you at third no matter what."

Like TOB said, it's gotta be a (at least mostly) performance based system or it all falls apart.
JCooke93
We are going after some good players right now
FLWolf
We will land some solid players in the portal

I wonder if Tommy and FSU happen quickly now that they are eliminated
wolfgators
Tommy should try to work on playing 1st base.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.