Story Poster
NC State Baseball

Wolfpack Pummels Panthers To Advance To ACC Title Game Versus Carolina

May 28, 2022

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — No. 10 seed NC State (36-20) defeats No. 11 seed Pitt (29-27) Saturday evening at Truist Field in the ACC Baseball Championship semifinals, 8-3.

The Wolfpack enters Sunday afternoon as the first double-digit seed to play in the ACC Championship game, returning to the title match after losing last year’s game against Duke, 1-0. After defeating Notre Dame in the early-afternoon semifinal, North Carolina faces NC State for Sunday’s championship game.

Canaan Silver (8-1, 3.21 ERA) picked up the win after striking out seven Panthers while allowing just two unearned runs on five hits and two walks over 5-2/3 innings. Justin Lawson and Chris Villaman both followed Silver in relief with Lawson allowing one run over 2-1/3 innings while Villaman hurled a three-strikeout ninth inning to secure the Pack’s championship berth. The trio of pitchers held the Panthers to 14 runners left on base as opposed to seven for the Wolfpack.

Wasting no time in jumping ahead, State’s offense hung five runs on the board in the bottom of the first inning. Devonte Brown led off with his 15th home run of the season. Two batters later, Tommy White clobbered his 27th of the year, breaking the NCAA freshman home run record previously held by Georgia Southern’s Todd Greene. Josh Hood followed White’s bomb by drawing a walk with Noah Soles reaching on a double immediately after. J.T. Jarrett then grounded out to shortstop, driving Hood home. Dominic Pilolli concluded the scoring for the inning with a towering two-run home run to right field, well over 400 feet.

Brock Franks put the Panthers on the scoreboard in the top of the fourth inning, driving home two runners with a single to center field after Pitt loaded the bases with a pair of walks and an error. In the bottom half of the fourth, LuJames Groover, III answered with a bases-loaded sacrifice fly to drive Payton Green home before Soles plated Jacob Cozart and Brown with a single to left-center. The final run of the game came in the top of the seventh inning with Ron Washington, Jr. blasted a solo home run over the wall in left field.

The Wolfpack will return to the home of the Charlotte Knights one final time this season, seeking its first ACC Championship since 1992. First pitch versus the Tar Heels is set for noon.

Wolfpack Pummels Panthers To Advance To ACC Title Game Versus Carolina

5,745 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by CLTWolf
Wolfpacklife
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TheCapper
Paniconpack
Love this squad! Got the game we wanted! Let's win it!
livewolf
Will we be on the third or first base side? Family wants to go!
SportManagementEngineer
livewolf said:

Will we be on the third or first base side? Family wants to go!

First base line
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
cmsteven
Frick. My gang will be sitting with the blues.
WilmingtonPackman777
cmsteven said:

Judging from yesterday, that's doubtful.
TheCapper
WilmingtonPackman777 said:

cmsteven said:

Judging from yesterday, that's doubtful.

lol … it should be fun atmosphere.
Red&White
Les Go!!!!!!!!
minthillwolf
Must admit I had modest expectations for our BB possibilities at the season's start. Maily because I thought we lost to much pitiching power from last year, but this is a pleasant surprise and the batting power is amazing. All contributers should get recognition, but especially coach Avent.
packman34
Typical outcome. When are people going to realize Avent will never win anything significant at State. We won't fire him, just hope we get a coach that knows how to win a championship at least once per 3 decades
cmsteven

We had fun.
Tootie4Pack
cmsteven said:

We had fun.

Hey, that's a great looking family of Wolfpack fans ! Glad your little ones had a good time. At their age, that's all that matters.
Wolfpacklife
cmsteven said:

We had fun.

Making memories with your little wolfpackers is always a win!
Glasswolf
minthillwolf said:

Must admit I had modest expectations for our BB possibilities at the season's start. Maily because I thought we lost to much pitiching power from last year, but this is a pleasant surprise and the batting power is amazing. All contributers should get recognition, but especially coach Avent.
This team is a set up for next year.
Glasswolf
packman34 said:

Typical outcome. When are people going to realize Avent will never win anything significant at State. We won't fire him, just hope we get a coach that knows how to win a championship at least once per 3 decades
The next coach is already on staff unless something strange happens
CLTWolf
Glasswolf said:

minthillwolf said:

This team is a set up for next year.

100% agree.
Work the portal for another arm or two. Hope the draft breaks our way with Gupton, Zayas and Serrano and win ball games.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
CLTWolf
Glasswolf said:

packman34 said:

The next coach is already on staff unless something strange happens

Chris Hart and Bo Robinson will be a nasty combo on the crootin trail.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.