Baseball vs Wake Forest 5/19-21 (2-8, 2-6, 0-5)

7,748 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by wilmwolf
Pack31
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We aren't very good. Hoping we get some pitching next year and turn it around! Or get hot somehow in the tourney.
metcalfmafia
I don't think some fans realize just how bad a "down year" can be. If this is a down year then we're in a pretty damn good place as a program.
Bigwuf
This series, unlike some prior games, did not turn on our fielding, which was pretty good overall. Our batters made WF's pitchers look like MLB-grade throwers. Our batters' swings often looked more like golf swings than guys looking to make hits, and contact usually resulted in infield bouncers. Very rarely did our guys even get anything into the outfield, whereas WF's batter were making contact and putting stuff at the wall (and over it, rather frequently). Are their pitchers really that good? Are they that much better than our guys. Highfill's absence has hurt the pitching rotation, but he would not have been of help this series ... unless he were to turn in his hitting performance from the World Series. I'm sure the players and coaches are disappointed. I'm frankly puzzled by the performance. I thought it would be a tight series that that I thought we might win 2 or 3, but I did not expect that we would get swept, including a shut-out to end the regular season. I wish we could get perspective from some coaches or players on what is going on....
Packsd14me
metcalfmafia said:

I don't think some fans realize just how bad a "down year" can be. If this is a down year then we're in a pretty damn good place as a program.

I agree 100% with this statement, especially when you consider how Avent builds a team. Young power hitters often struggle early in their career. They have lately. Tommy is special but he still strikes out a lot. We miss Highfill badly. With average speed and defense, small ball is difficult to play, which is what would happen in most team's down years. Having said that, the guys have beaten the good teams and limped home against UNC, Duke and Wake. That's the disappointing part. Maybe the bats will wake up next week and the ACC tournament will be fun again. I am an optimist. The 69 Mets said "ya gotta believe" or our own Russell Wilson's "Why not us?"
Rounder
So what are you're predictions for this team?
NCAA 3rd seed?
Wolfer79
metcalfmafia said:

2021 College World Series Champion Mississippi State did not qualify for SECT
metcalfmafia
Wolfer79 said:

metcalfmafia said:

2021 College World Series Champion Mississippi State did not qualify for SECT

Right.
CLTWolf
Packsd14me said:

metcalfmafia said:

I agree 100% with this statement, especially when you consider how Avent builds a team. Young power hitters often struggle early in their career. They have lately. Tommy is special but he still strikes out a lot. We miss Highfill badly. With average speed and defense, small ball is difficult to play, which is what would happen in most team's down years. Having said that, the guys have beaten the good teams and limped home against UNC, Duke and Wake. That's the disappointing part. Maybe the bats will wake up next week and the ACC tournament will be fun again. I am an optimist. The 69 Mets said "ya gotta believe" or our own Russell Wilson's "Why not us?"
I disagree about White striking out too much. Obviously, it would be nice if he struck out less but there's 4 others on the team that strike out more than White does. To put that in perspective, there are 10 other teams that K more than the Wolfpack does, so far this season. Further, only Kevin Parada at Ga Tech K's much less than White of the top power hitters in the league. Here are the top 10 HR hitters in the ACC and their strikeout numbers so far on the season...

1. Max Wagner Clemson 46
2. Kevin Parada Ga Tech 25
3. Tommy White NC State 46
4. Brendan Tisman Wake 42
5. Jake Gelof UVA 44
6. Dalton Rushing 54
7. Alberto Osuna 70
8. Brock Wilken 66
9. Andrew Jenkins 59
10. Tim Borden 57

IMO, Tommy could stand to walk a little bit more but that's me picking nits a hair.

Hood, Pilolli and Green are the ones that need to cut down on their K numbers, IMO. If Payton Green makes a couple adjustments this summer, he's gonna be a dynamite ball player on offense. He's looked much better on D lately so that's good news as well.

I 100% agree that we miss Highfill. Having to put Silver into the weekend rotation jacks up our pen a good bit.

*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
goosedaddy
So have we become Wake Forrest's bit@h? Unreal
CLTWolf
goosedaddy said:

So have we become Wake Forrest's bit@h? Unreal
nope. We're 66-36 against Wake since 1990 (that as far back as I could find).
Bell Tower Grey
Oh yeah, we do. See mbb.
Packsd14me
CLTWolf said:

Packsd14me said:

metcalfmafia said:

I disagree about White striking out too much. Obviously, it would be nice if he struck out less but there's 4 others on the team that strike out more than White does. To put that in perspective, there are 10 other teams that K more than the Wolfpack does, so far this season. Further, only Kevin Parada at Ga Tech K's much less than White of the top power hitters in the league. Here are the top 10 HR hitters in the ACC and their strikeout numbers so far on the season...

1. Max Wagner Clemson 46
5. Jake Gelof UVA 44
6. Dalton Rushing 54
7. Alberto Osuna 70
8. Brock Wilken 66
9. Andrew Jenkins 59
10. Tim Borden 57

IMO, Tommy could stand to walk a little bit more but that's me picking nits a hair.

Hood, Pilolli and Green are the ones that need to cut down on their K numbers, IMO. If Payton Green makes a couple adjustments this summer, he's gonna be a dynamite ball player on offense. He's looked much better on D lately so that's good news as well.

I 100% agree that we miss Highfill. Having to put Silver into the weekend rotation jacks up our pen a good bit.

No problem with any of your statements. As Tommy gets older, he will be more selective and I feel he will strike out less, similar to your statement about Parada this season. For me, the 3 hole has to put the ball in play hard with two strikes more than Tommy does but I guess I am old school. I am not willing to sacrifice 10 K's for an extra homer. But you statements about the 3 three, and maybe most of the team, have gotten home run happy. Thus the strike outs. I think that's why we are struggling. Cut down on their swing, hit to the opposite field and this score more runs. As far a Green, I agree. At the plate, he could hit in front of Tommy at the top of the order in the future. He has a great, level swing and has pop in his bat with a little speed, too. An old school 3 hole hitter. I also agree that he is relaxing in the field and playing better. Thanks for all your numbers and research. It's nice to see. I still think Tommy could improve by striking out less as, to your points, so could the rest of the team. If they did, things have to improve.
CLTWolf
Packsd14me said:

CLTWolf said:

Packsd14me said:

metcalfmafia said:

1. Max Wagner Clemson 46
5. Jake Gelof UVA 44
6. Dalton Rushing 54
7. Alberto Osuna 70
8. Brock Wilken 66
9. Andrew Jenkins 59
10. Tim Borden 57

No problem with any of your statements. As Tommy gets older, he will be more selective and I feel he will strike out less, similar to your statement about Parada this season. For me, the 3 hole has to put the ball in play hard with two strikes more than Tommy does but I guess I am old school. I am not willing to sacrifice 10 K's for an extra homer. But you statements about the 3 three, and maybe most of the team, have gotten home run happy. Thus the strike outs. I think that's why we are struggling. Cut down on their swing, hit to the opposite field and this score more runs. As far a Green, I agree. At the plate, he could hit in front of Tommy at the top of the order in the future. He has a great, level swing and has pop in his bat with a little speed, too. An old school 3 hole hitter. I also agree that he is relaxing in the field and playing better. Thanks for all your numbers and research. It's nice to see. I still think Tommy could improve by striking out less as, to your points, so could the rest of the team. If they did, things have to improve.
The team doesn't strike out a lot as it stands now. I guess the ACC website just updated from the weekend games and only two teams strikeout less than we do, Notre Dame and UVA.

We're just going to disagree when it comes to Tommy. The kid isn't striking out a ton, is leading the team in batting average, HRs (6th nationally), RBI (top 15 nationally), 2nd in OBP, and is in the top 35 nationally in OPS.

Let's look at last season's 3 hole hitter, Jonny Butler...in the same amount of games (about 1 more than Tommy so far, 52) , he K'd 48 times while hitting .376. Tommy is batting .365. Our #2 hitter, Tyler McDonough struck out 48 times in 55 games. Our leadoff hitter last season, Austin Murr, struck out 40 times (6 less than Tommy) and only walked 21 times, two more than Tommy so far.

Wolfer79
NC State baseball (33-20, 14-15 ACC) suffered a 5-0 loss in its regular season finale with Wake Forest (39-16-1, 15-14-1 ACC) on Saturday afternoon at Doak Field at Dail Park.

It marked the second time this season the Wolfpack has suffered a shutout loss.

Nick Kurtz put the Demon Deacons on the board in the second with his solo shot over the left field wall, giving his team the early 1-0 lead.

In the fourth Wake Forest extended its lead to 3-0 thanks to Brendan Tinsman's leadoff homer to left field and Jake Reinisch's RBI single to center field with Kurtz at second after he reached on a single through the left side and moved to second on a wild pitch.

Wake plated two more runs on as many hits and an error in the seventh to take a 5-0 lead. After Tommy Hawke and Pierce Bennett started the inning with back-to-back base hits up the middle, a two-base error followed by a sacrifice fly to left field by Kurtz drove in the runs.

NC State attempted to make a late surge in the bottom of the ninth when Tommy White led off with a single up the middle and Noah Soles drew a one-out walk, but the squad couldn't bring the runners home.

The Demon Deacon pitching trio of Teddy McGraw, Crawford Wade and Camden Minacci combined to hold the Pack to three hits in shutout fashion, as Devonte Brown (2-for-3) and White (1-for-4) were responsible for the three hits.

NC State will now turn its attention to the ACC Championship, which will run May 24-29 at Truist Field in Charlotte, N.C. The official bracket with matchups, game times and TV designations will be released Sunday, as the pool play portion will be May 24-28 with the semifinals and finals being held the 28th and 29th, respectively.

https://gopack.com/news/2022/5/21/baseball-pack9-falls-in-regular-season-finale.aspx
Packsd14me
CLTWolf said:

Packsd14me said:

CLTWolf said:

Packsd14me said:

metcalfmafia said:

1. Max Wagner Clemson 46
5. Jake Gelof UVA 44
6. Dalton Rushing 54
7. Alberto Osuna 70
8. Brock Wilken 66
9. Andrew Jenkins 59
10. Tim Borden 57

The team doesn't strike out a lot as it stands now. I guess the ACC website just updated from the weekend games and only two teams strikeout less than we do, Notre Dame and UVA.

We're just going to disagree when it comes to Tommy. The kid isn't striking out a ton, is leading the team in batting average, HRs (6th nationally), RBI (top 15 nationally), 2nd in OBP, and is in the top 35 nationally in OPS.

Let's look at last season's 3 hole hitter, Jonny Butler...in the same amount of games (about 1 more than Tommy so far, 52) , he K'd 48 times while hitting .376. Tommy is batting .365. Our #2 hitter, Tyler McDonough struck out 48 times in 55 games. Our leadoff hitter last season, Austin Murr, struck out 40 times (6 less than Tommy) and only walked 21 times, two more than Tommy so far.

Not arguing. It's me . Not you our your numbers. I'm sure compared to other current players all is fine. It's me. I hate strike outs. To me Brown shouldn't lead off. Again, swings for the fences too much. He should hit behind Tommy and protect him. I said I was old school. To me nothing good comes from strike outs. With two strikes, cut down your swing, hit the ball the opposite way, and put the ball in play, hard if possible. It wins games. I don't like the style of play now. Launch angle leads time more fly balls, some home runs and lots more strike outs. MLB teams are starting to teach flatten batting swings again because of strike outs. Put the ball in play hard as often as you can. UVA and ND play more like that and they are near the top of the conference in wins. Our defense hurts us too. We are slow in the outfield comparatively and have no strong arms. Infield defense is not much better. So to put pressure on the opposition, take pitches, let your pitchers sit in the dugout and make the others play defense by striking out less.As you said, we are not awful when compared to others teams but I want our guys to beat those other teams. To do that, something needs to change. I think less strike outs offensively would help all of them. Approach at the plate changes that.

CLTWolf
Packsd14me said:

CLTWolf said:

Packsd14me said:

CLTWolf said:

Packsd14me said:

metcalfmafia said:

1. Max Wagner Clemson 46
5. Jake Gelof UVA 44
6. Dalton Rushing 54
7. Alberto Osuna 70
8. Brock Wilken 66
9. Andrew Jenkins 59
10. Tim Borden 57

Not arguing. It's me . Not you our your numbers. I'm sure compared to other current players all is fine. It's me. I hate strike outs. To me Brown shouldn't lead off. Again, swings for the fences too much. He should hit behind Tommy and protect him. I said I was old school. To me nothing good comes from strike outs. With two strikes, cut down your swing, hit the ball the opposite way, and put the ball in play, hard if possible. It wins games. I don't like the style of play now. Launch angle leads time more fly balls, some home runs and lots more strike outs. MLB teams are starting to teach flatten batting swings again because of strike outs. Put the ball in play hard as often as you can. UVA and ND play more like that and they are near the top of the conference in wins. Our defense hurts us too. We are slow in the outfield comparatively and have no strong arms. Infield defense is not much better. So to put pressure on the opposition, take pitches, let your pitchers sit in the dugout and make the others play defense by striking out less.As you said, we are not awful when compared to others teams but I want our guys to beat those other teams. To do that, something needs to change. I think less strike outs offensively would help all of them. Approach at the plate changes that.

Who should lead off? Only Gino and Tommy get on base close to the rate that Brown does. He's second in the ACC in BBs. Brown and Groover are 6th and 7th in runs scored in the league. That shows me Tommy and Hood (mainly Tommy) are doing what they are supposed to do once Brown and/or Groover get on base. Brown might be striking out but he's still getting on base more than anyone else on the team, which I think is the point. We have flaws on offense but that's not even close to the reason our season is where it is currently.

ND and UVA (moreso ND) are winning b/c of pitching and defense. If our defense was just 2-3% better we'd probably have 5 plus wins on the season. Sounds crazy, but we've booted away games that a middle of the road defense still wins.

This is still a young team, IMO. If the draft breaks the right way for us and we can do some portaling in certain areas next year will be a really really good squad.
Packsd14me
CLTWolf said:

Packsd14me said:

CLTWolf said:

Packsd14me said:

CLTWolf said:

Packsd14me said:

metcalfmafia said:

1. Max Wagner Clemson 46
5. Jake Gelof UVA 44
6. Dalton Rushing 54
7. Alberto Osuna 70
8. Brock Wilken 66
9. Andrew Jenkins 59
10. Tim Borden 57

Who should lead off? Only Gino and Tommy get on base close to the rate that Brown does. He's second in the ACC in BBs. Brown and Groover are 6th and 7th in runs scored in the league. That shows me Tommy and Hood (mainly Tommy) are doing what they are supposed to do once Brown and/or Groover get on base. Brown might be striking out but he's still getting on base more than anyone else on the team, which I think is the point. We have flaws on offense but that's not even close to the reason our season is where it is currently.

ND and UVA (moreso ND) are winning b/c of pitching and defense. If our defense was just 2-3% better we'd probably have 5 plus wins on the season. Sounds crazy, but we've booted away games that a middle of the road defense still wins.

This is still a young team, IMO. If the draft breaks the right way for us and we can do some portaling in certain areas next year will be a really really good squad.

We are all different. I said I am old school. Tommy would hit 4 for me. Soles, Hood, the one who hit early in the year to right side and not the one that tries to hit homers, Gino, Tommy, Brown, Green, platoon Piloli and Marcy in the 7 hole, the catcher 8 and pitch hit often for them, and J. T. 9 to reset the top. I think we would score more this way. Brown hit with runners on base would be better. Top 3 run well. Put the ball in play and pressure the defense especially with runners on base. I want Brown hitting in key situations, not often leading off innings with no one one.

ND and UVa both play pitching and defense but UVa can hit. I think only Ga. Tech is better but GaTech has very little pitching. UNC is in the same boat. Pitching. Even without Highfill we are better than them. Lack of defense hurts our pitching. It's not just making errors. Not getting to fly balls other teams do. Playing too deep for a faster runner in the infield as Hood did with Tommy Hawke batting allowing him an infield hit. We just aren't sound like UVa and ND…it's not just pitching. They sacrifice power for the other things I am talking about but they win and we lose. I understand others like playing the power game as we do now. It's just not my preference. Speed, defense, pitching, and putting the ball in play wins a lot of games. It takes a team. But power hitting can make up for deficiencies and mistakes. That's what we try to do. Power and limit mistakes. Even last year, power pitching, power hitting and making routine plays. It can win with key hits but it struggles often against good pitching. Not my favorite style and why I have written so much. But, I root hard for the guys we put out there and why I was disappointed with the recent struggles. We were better than who we are losing to. By getting the fence out of our eyes and putting the ball in play hard to the opposite side, I think we win more games against WF, Duke and UNC. Sorry for the long post.
CLTWolf
Soles and Hood get on base less than your 1 and 2 hitters now. So, your lineup is potentially starting out in the hole and means Gino and White have to be on it with two outs (meaning they will be pitched to differently as well with no one on base), since Soles and Hood don't get on base nearly as much. Also, Brown has walked more than Soles (who's walked less than White) and Hood combined. Brown and Groover get on base. Tommy more often than not cleans them up and Hood does a good job as well as he's 2nd on the team in RBI.

We can talk personal strategies all day but hitting is not this team's problem, IMO.
Packsd14me
CLTWolf said:

Soles and Hood get on base less than your 1 and 2 hitters now. So, your lineup is potentially starting out in the hole and means Gino and White have to be on it with two outs (meaning they will be pitched to differently as well with no one on base), since Soles and Hood don't get on base nearly as much. Also, Brown has walked more than Soles (who's walked less than White) and Hood combined. Brown and Groover get on base. Tommy more often than not cleans them up and Hood does a good job as well as he's 2nd on the team in RBI.

We can talk personal strategies all day but hitting is not this team's problem, IMO.

Last comment…I think your numbers are correct but personal skills of the players in each batting position would change with the situation. In other words, Soles would walk more in the one hole Brown would walk less and drive in more runs hitting later. He would score less but maybe even hit more home runs in fast ball situations. Brown is a selective hitter. Hood can handle the bat. He has to drive in runs a lot in the 4 hole often with two outs. He hits to the right side well as does Tommy. But I want Tommy to feel comfortable with runners on base, swing freely until he has 2 strikes and to see lots fastballs. I think he would hitting like this. Groover can rake. He is as clutch or even more clutch than Tommy and puts the ball in play in key situations. I think this order benefits the players personal skills better than the current lineup and should be even more productive. To your point earlier, Green is soon going to a top of the lineup hitter. Likely 3 hole. He is going to be good, too. You are right about next year. Outfield spots open but Jarrett will likely be replaced with musical chairs of this year's team. And the can all hit. Piloli could be next year's DH with two new outfielders gaining PT. Lots to look forward to.
wilmwolf
CLTWolf said:

I think Brown has been a perfect leadoff guy personally. Sports science says your best hitter should be in the two hole, and Gino is that dude. I could make an argument for putting White there to try and steal him another AB, but he's been fine hitting third. My only thing I might do differently is to put Green or JT or someone at 9, because I like the idea of having a second leadoff type guy there instead of putting your worst hitter there. But really, the lineup has been fine, it's easy to be critical after a weekend when we hit like *****
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.