Story Poster
Photo by Photo credit: Steve Murphy
NC State Baseball

WHAT WE ARE HEARING: Wolfpack Baseball

July 24, 2021

Here is the latest we are hearing on NC State baseball with the MLB deadline a week away.
To continue reading, you must be a Inside Pack Sports Premium subscriber.
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial

WHAT WE ARE HEARING: Wolfpack Baseball

33,671 Views | 158 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tau06
JCooke93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Burn
CLTWolf

Looks to be confirmation from Payton Green's dad that Payton will be in Raleigh.

*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
JCooke93
EthanBarry
Staff
CLTWolf said:

Looks to be confirmation from Payton Green's dad that Payton will be in Raleigh.

I think State dodged a huge bullet with the Red Sox and Green. The Sox love him and I think it's very possible they would have taken him in the second round if the board had fallen a different way. Even if they had drafted him in the 3rd-5th round, they probably would've been able to sign him
tau06
Glad to hear he's going to be a member of the Pack. Good for us. Like his pops confidence!
Gravis
BobbyCox95 said:

I missed the part about the stadium renovations. Did I overlook it or was it left out by accident?

Got a little verbal preview on the renovations, should be public soon. Haven't seen actual drawings, but what they have in the works is going to be pretty nice/inovative considering the area around Doak.
Wolfpacklife
Thanks for the info Gravis. Really excited about the potential of the project. Can't wait to see what they do.
ClePack
Gravis said:

BobbyCox95 said:

I missed the part about the stadium renovations. Did I overlook it or was it left out by accident?

Got a little verbal preview on the renovations, should be public soon. Haven't seen actual drawings, but what they have in the works is going to be pretty nice/inovative considering the area around Doak.
so doak will remain in it's same area? No centennial campus stadium? Hmm, i'll have to wait and see what these designs look like
JCooke93
wilmwolf
Fairly certain that is been said that there isn't land available on centennial campus for a ballpark that isn't already slated for something else.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Glasswolf
ClePack said:

Gravis said:

BobbyCox95 said:

so doak will remain in it's same area? No centennial campus stadium? Hmm, i'll have to wait and see what these designs look like
All the land at Centennial is already allocated for research and academics. There will be no baseball field there.
onemanwolfpack44
That is exciting & looking forward to official word coming out. At this point since we weren't able to announce at the end of the baseball season maybe it is wise to make the public announcement during a football game when the team is honored?
gopack1979
I've been telling you guys for years Centennial isn't happening. But carry on, you gotta B%$#@ about something...
Glasswolf
gopack1979 said:

I've been telling you guys for years Centennial isn't happening. But carry on, you gotta B%$#@ about something...
I've been saying the same thing. No one wants to listen
metcalfmafia
gopack1979 said:

Yeah yeah but what if we put the stadium on Centennial?
wilmwolf
If it was going to be anywhere different, I would've liked to put it by Carter Finley and the basketball arena, but that ship sailed also. I think it's fine where it is though. I'm probably in the minority, but I don't really think capacity needs to be increased much, just the seating reworked. I hope they focus on stuff for the players first though.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Packamylase
while playing a mobile golf game, the guy I was playing against said his son is being recruited by D1 schools for baseball and just recently returned from NC State. He said the park looked great, but that there was no shade in the seating and was oppressive.
CLTWolf
Packamylase said:

while playing a mobile golf game, the guy I was playing against said his son is being recruited by D1 schools for baseball and just recently returned from NC State. He said the park looked great, but that there was no shade in the seating and was oppressive.
I have questions...

1. What is "mobile golf"?
2. What was oppressive? the heat from no shade?
3. Did you get a name of the kid being recruited?
Packamylase
Just a golf game played online through an app. He says his son will likely go to Liberty. I didn't get his name. His only complaint that there was no shade. Scorching sun, I guess. Otherwise, he liked the look of the stadium.
CLTWolf
Packamylase said:

Just a golf game played online through an app. He says his son will likely go to Liberty. I didn't get his name. His only complaint that there was no shade. Scorching sun, I guess. Otherwise, he liked the look of the stadium.
Thank you
BobbyCox95
We don't have the funds or the need to build a brand new stadium on Centennial. I've honestly never even heard that suggested anywhere but the message boards. Doak provides a good starting point with a great field, good seating, scoreboard etc. Makes way more sense to put what funds we have available into making Doak as nice as fiscally possible instead of starting from scratch elsewhere.

I personally would love to see Varsity Drive closed down and make that a concourse between the tennis facility and Doak and would slightly alleviate the stress of having to expand Doak without any room to work with.
wolfpack1437
Gravis said:

BobbyCox95 said:

Give us some hints. Is it similar to the couple renderings we looked at on here a month or so ago? (Entrance down the first base line and some raised covered seats)
Pakbackr
I work on Centennial Campus and have insight into the 'build out' plans and I can assure everyone that at this time, there is virtually no chance a baseball stadium will be built on Centennial. The land is just too valuable.

I think it is far more likely that Doak gets renovated; that has to be a far less expensive option than building a new park. However, if the economics supported a new park, the logical site would be out near CF and PNC. A far less likely option might be to build a jointly owned park with the City of Raleigh on the Dix Park property.
Gravis

^ It is 100% decided that it will be a renovation at Doak. No use in discussing anything else.

No use in wasting time or posting anything different.
Pakbackr
Gravis said:

^ It is 100% decided that it will be a renovation at Doak. No use in discussing anything else.

Good to know!
Ripper
Gravis said:

When is the groundbreaking on the renovation? Ballpark estimate (no pun intended).
wolfpack1437
TOS just posted an article about this. Nothing new other than it needs to happen and Boo says plans in Feb
Wolfpack
Ripper said:

Gravis said:

When is the groundbreaking on the renovation? Ballpark estimate (no pun intended).

At the rate the beer garden is going, hopefully some time this century.
I40Wolf
Give me some shade and knee room. That's all I ask
CLTWolf

Rangers still have their 2nd rounder left to sign and they have plenty of money to do it with. They signed their 6th-10th rounders for well below slot.

Wonder if they're trying to make a big run at Will Taylor who they picked in the 19th round. He's a top 2-3 round talent if you believe the rankings. They just need to leave Tucker Mitchell alone.
JCooke93
I feel good about it
Wolfpack2k17
CLTWolf said:

Rangers still have their 2nd rounder left to sign and they have plenty of money to do it with. They signed their 6th-10th rounders for well below slot.

Wonder if they're trying to make a big run at Will Taylor who they picked in the 19th round. He's a top 2-3 round talent if you believe the rankings. They just need to leave Tucker Mitchell alone.
Some places had Taylor as a first round pick so not sure they'll have enough to win him over. I would assume Taylor would want a few million. Besides Taylor, the Rangers have 5 other high school picks they drafted 11-20 rounds that they may try to sign as well and throw extra money at to see who signs. Right now they have ~2,518,050 left in their pool (this includes 5% over the initial pool money and assuming the 2nd rounder signs) if my math is right. Their second rounder was viewed as a guy that they could sign for underslot so curious how that plays out since his slot value is 1.95 million. Hypothetically if he signs for slot value, then the Rangers would have ~568,050 to use on the rest of their picks from 11-20 rounds in addition to the base 125k they can offer to each without penalty. They haven't signed any of their 11-20 round picks.

https://www.mlb.com/draft/tracker/2021/all/team/rangers
Bell Tower Grey
wolfpack1437 said:

TOS just posted an article about this. Nothing new other than it needs to happen and Boo says plans in Feb
February? So, announcing plans 7 - 8 months after being kicked out of the CWS. I hope the naming rights donors are able to see something viable before then. I imagine the iron for some of the rank and file donors will probably be a lot cooler by that time. But then, should we expect anything less than this?
Gravis

I think Corey got that February quote wrong. I have personally heard Boo comment on this more than once & never have heard this timelineFebruary would be the start of the season..phase 1 should complete by then.
wolfpack1437
Bell Tower Grey said:

wolfpack1437 said:

February? So, announcing plans 7 - 8 months after being kicked out of the CWS. I hope the naming rights donors are able to see something viable before then. I imagine the iron for some of the rank and file donors will probably be a lot cooler by that time. But then, should we expect anything less than this?
I'm not happy with the timing either. Most of the excitement from the run will give way to focus on football season.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.