Story Poster
Photo by Jaylynn Nash, NC State Athletics
NC State Baseball

NC State baseball sweeps Pitt

May 16, 2021

Another day, another win for NC State baseball. The Wolfpack took a 10-3 win over No. 16 Pitt Sunday in the series finale for a sweep of this weekend’s three-game set. 

The Pack scored 10 runs on 11 hits and hit five home runs, led by a two-homer day for Terrell Tatum and 3-for-5, four-RBI outing from Jose Torres. 

Matt Willadsen and Chris Villaman combined for an excellent outing on the mound, with Willadsen allowing just three runs on eight hits while striking eight and walking one in seven innings. Villaman pitched the final two innings and pounded the strike zone, allowing just one hits and recording all six of his outs via the strikeout. 21 of Villaman’s 32 pitches went for strikes. 

With the win, NC State has won five straight and 10 of 11. The Pack is 22-5 since starting the year 4-9. 

The two teams traded runs in the first inning, with Torres’ RBI single putting the Pack up 1-0 and Pitt tying it with a bases-loaded hit batter. The Pack then took the lead in the top of the second on a solo shot to center by Devonte Brown. 

The Pack extended its lead to 5-1 with a pair of home runs in the top of the third, a two-run shot to center from Jonny Butler and solo homer to left from Torres. The Pack continued to pour it on in the top of the fifth, extending its lead to 7-1 with a two-run double for Torres. 

The Panthers tacked on two in the bottom of the eighth to get within 7-3, but that was as close as it would get, as Tatum’s second homer of the day, a two-run blast to center in the top of the ninth, closed out the scoring. 

The win also moves NC State 1o 17-13 on the year in ACC play, good for third in the ACC Atlantic, and clinches the team’s spot in the ACC Tournament in Charlotte. The Pack will have a chance to finish second by winning its final regular-season series against Florida State (19-14) Thursday through Saturday at Doak Field. 

NC State baseball sweeps Pitt

5,557 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by wilmwolf
wilmwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nice write-up, thank you.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Bigwuf
Any guidance from the WPC about the Doak's capacity for the FSU series? In theory, it could be increased under the most recent changes in NC Executive Orders.
SniderFC
What would it take for the Pack to host a regional, or is that out of the question?
TraCha4
Awesome sweep. Lets duplicate it next weekend in front of a home crowd.
Cotten
Nice sweep. I just wish the crud between ACCNX, ESPN, and U-verse would allow me to watch. Never had issues, until this year.
wilmwolf
SniderFC said:

What would it take for the Pack to host a regional, or is that out of the question?

Not possible. 20 potential host sites have already been set. It's hypothetically possible we could get a 1 seed, but we still wouldn't be hosting.
JCooke93
The Pack 9 Family members and some Fans
JCooke93
It's out of the question unfortunately
ciscopack
The dudes are playing well and fun to watch! A couple of poor 2nd to 3rd runs today when it wasn't there yet.
ciscopack
wilmwolf80 said:

SniderFC said:

Not possible. 20 potential host sites have already been set. It's hypothetically possible we could get a 1 seed, but we still wouldn't be hosting.
That's stupid and I hear you.
packfan1221
wilmwolf80 said:

SniderFC said:

Think we get a 1 seed with a sweep of FSU and an ACC tournament victory?
wilmwolf
In years past the result of the conference tournament hasn't mattered much for seeding. With saying we could hypothetically be a one seed, I just meant you can be a one and not host this year, not that it was possible for us. I would guess we are a 3 seed possibly a 2, particularly if we take 2 of 3 next weekend, but I'm not an expert.
waxhaw
Zero chance for a 1 seed.

But this run has been fun to watch. I hope we stay hot against FSU and make some noise in the tourney.
castlewood107
What a fantastic weekend. This is the most fun team to watch in years, probably since 2013.

We honestly have a chance at a traveling 1 seed ... have a resume of a 1 but go to a pre-set host out of the 20 announced. Charlotte, LaTech are candidates for this maybe?

That wouldn't be so bad at all.
dmelvin
I can't think of any school hotter right now. Pack is on fire.
Dmelvin
wilmwolf
waxhaw said:

Zero chance for a 1 seed.

But this run has been fun to watch. I hope we stay hot against FSU and make some noise in the tourney.

I won't say zero. It's highly unlikely, but RPI at 26, three road sweeps against top 25 teams, etc. is a strong resume. I think a sweep of FSU could possibly put us into the conversation at least, depending on what other teams do. I don't think it's very likely, but the chance is greater than zero at least.
SniderFC
ciscopack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

SniderFC said:

That's stupid and I hear you.

Agreed, so we could hypothetically play ourselves into a one seed and travel to a host site? Why set the potential sites when the season is yet to be concluded? Seems stupid to me.
wilmwolf
The given reason is that due to safety and travel concerns from covid they wanted to give potential host sites more time to get ready than the typical few days they get in a normal year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.