Baseball @ Notre Dame 4/16-18 (ND wins series 2-1)

7,553 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Wolfer79
wilmwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah, lefty versus righty doesn't really come into play in that situation. You put in your best shutdown guy, regardless of who they have coming up. Justice is that guy for us at this point. Hitting the guy was unfortunate, but that doesn't mean it was the wrong decision. Honestly the fact that we only gave up one in that situation is a testament that it was the right call.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
pack4life11
CLTWolf said:

pack4life11 said:

Avent bringing in a lefty to face a righty in a 2-2 game with the bases loaded....questionable at best, let's see how this plays out

Who else was Chrysler gonna trot out there? Everyone else is either hurt or a true freshman that's not ready. Especially in that spot.

They went with their best guy out of the pen. No issue with that.

I don't disagree, either way you go right there, if it doesn't work out there are going to be questions. Our bullpen is just...blah. Even with Klyman and Harrison things still weren't great. Very little confidence in the pen right now as I think the coaches have shown by letting the starters try to work through
CLTWolf
pack4life11 said:

CLTWolf said:

pack4life11 said:

Avent bringing in a lefty to face a righty in a 2-2 game with the bases loaded....questionable at best, let's see how this plays out

Who else was Chrysler gonna trot out there? Everyone else is either hurt or a true freshman that's not ready. Especially in that spot.

They went with their best guy out of the pen. No issue with that.

I don't disagree, either way you go right there, if it doesn't work out there are going to be questions. Our bullpen is just...blah. Even with Klyman and Harrison things still weren't great. Very little confidence in the pen right now as I think the coaches have shown by letting the starters try to work through
When you have something like 4 or 5 (maybe more) guys hurt there's only so much you can do. Add to that Dalton Feeney being just terrible this year (maybe he's dinged up too, I don't know) and (as we've seen) the pen is quite limited. Cotter and Pace are definitely out. We haven't seen Bender since Campbell and Baker Nelson hasn't thrown since Ga Tech. Nelson and Cotter were important kids to the bullpen.

It's not just no confidence in the pen, it's not having the arms in the pen either. Reid and Sam HAVE to go late for us to have a chance.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
JCooke93
Bender vs App State
JCooke93
But you need to put your bullpen guys in good spots and trust them and don't need to ruin Reid Sam Matt and Chris arms
CLTWolf
JCooke93 said:

Bender vs App State
Good call out. Not sure how I missed him when I was checking. Thx
Wolfer79
wilmwolf
It's a dead horse I've beaten frequently, but I don't understand why any announcer would say "North Carolina State" instead of "NC State". Aside from the fact that it goes against the branding that we want used, if you have to say it a hundred times in a three hour span, it's just easier to say NC State.
wilmwolf
Umm, he was out dawg.
CLTWolf
wilmwolf80 said:

Umm, he was out dawg.
Yeah, very out. I yelled at the computer that he was out and my kids are now confused as to why I'm yelling at the computer.
wilmwolf
Sam's thrown about six pitches in this inning that looked like strikes to me that were called balls. Zone seems to be shrinking.
wolfpack1437
Tresh is going to homer here. This guy has had some balls hit hard
wolfpack1437
Darn. Oh well
wilmwolf
He was about a millimeter off of getting one his previous at bat. Just barely missed it.
wolfpack1437
A debo one will do!
wilmwolf
Devo Dinger!
wilmwolf
I know everyone hates small ball, but I would've had Tatum and Jarrett both bunting there.
CLTWolf
wilmwolf80 said:

I know everyone hates small ball, but I would've had Tatum and Jarrett both bunting there.
I honestly don't think Tatum is good at it otherwise he should be bunting once or twice a game to get on base with that speed.

And L O L at the announcer getting a stiffy over a super shallow fly ball. hahaha
DrummerboyWolf
WOW, that last one was driven deep...according to the announcer but ended up in shallow left field. Must have been the wind.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
Wolfer79
DrummerboyWolf said:

WOW, that last one was driven deep...according to the announcer but ended up in shallow left field. Must have been the wind.
batter had 24 hits on season
12 of them were home runs
if he puts ball in play, not a bad assumption
CLTWolf
Wolfer79 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

haha that's kind of a good point.
Wolfer79
Wolfpack wins 5-2
wilmwolf
Alright boys, let's get the series tomorrow!
DrummerboyWolf
Good win, now lets win the series tomorrow and keep the momentum going forward.

Justice did a good job coming in after the unfortunate HBP yesterday and finished it off.

Devonte Brown is en fuego right now!!!

GO PACK!!
Wolfer79
10 out save for Justice
DrummerboyWolf
Wolfer79 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Well we all know what happens when you assume. It made the announcer look like one right there. Ball ended up in shallow left field, sorry but it was not driven deep.
kmb717
Massive game tomorrow
Wolfer79
DrummerboyWolf said:

Wolfer79 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Well we all know what happens when you assume. It made the announcer look like one right there. Ball ended up in shallow left field, sorry but it was not driven deep.
if they said "check that" it is ok
castlewood107
Massive win. Let's get this series.

We should having the pitching advantage tomorrow with Matt. Villaman should be good, based on pitch count, for a six-out save or so.
wilmwolf
I'm not a hundred percent sure the announcers are actually at the stadium. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he was just going based on the head on view from the TV screen.
CLTWolf
castlewood107 said:

We should having the pitching advantage tomorrow with Matt. Villaman should be good, based on pitch count, for a six-out save or so.
How many pitches did Evan throw today? He threw 11 Friday so depending on what he threw today, we could maybe get another inning or two out of him tomorrow. With no midweek game next week, you're right, Villaman could go an inning or two as well. Gotta have Matt give us 6 or 7 tomorrow, for sure.
EthanBarry
Staff
You wonder if there's a midweek game in the works (I doubt it), if so I'd think willadsen for 7 and Ingle for 2. If not, willadsen to villaman should be enough. I wouldn't think justice is available
Wolfer79
CLTWolf said:

castlewood107 said:

How many pitches did Evan throw today? He threw 11 Friday so depending on what he threw today, we could maybe get another inning or two out of him tomorrow. With no midweek game next week, you're right, Villaman could go an inning or two as well. Gotta have Matt give us 6 or 7 tomorrow, for sure.
post game said 46 pitches today for Justice and he thought Justice is probably done for the weekend
CLTWolf
Wolfer79 said:

CLTWolf said:

castlewood107 said:

post game said 46 pitches today for Justice and he thought Justice is probably done for the weekend
Dang, my kids started acting crazy but I didn't realize I missed that much action. Yeah, 11 yesterday and 46 today probably keeps him on the bench.

Thanks!
Wolfer79
Sam Highfill went 5.2 innings for @NCStateBaseball and got some run support to pick up his 3rd win of the season and even up the series with No. 10 Notre Dame.
@katpeters15
https://t.co/CTqst50TzN

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.