Pack 9 Recruiting and Portal News

272,594 Views | 1622 Replies | Last: 44 min ago by JCooke93
Jtilley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
StateFan2001 said:

I think Nixon is a future 300 hitter that you park in the leadoff spot.
He better start hitting lefties and off speed then.

Personally, I think Fitz-Gerald could lead off from day one.
Glasswolf
Jtilley said:

StateFan2001 said:

Every lefty we have needs to learn to do that.
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

JCooke93
If Heavner and Young stay after the fall same with Woodson
JCooke93
100%
Glasswolf

StateFan2001
Yep but i am optimistic that is part of his maturation process.
CLTWolf
Jtilley said:

StateFan2001 said:

Must be a Nixon thing as anything that bends and in the dirt they have trouble laying off of. Haha

I don't care if he hits .300 just get on base and he's very mature with working counts at this stage so I think his walk numbers will be up there. He definitely has patience at the plate. Hopefully he fills out sooner than later from a power perspective.
Jtilley
Glasswolf said:

Jtilley said:

StateFan2001 said:

100000000%.

This is probably my biggest gripe with Avent and not changing his lineups. Not just this year but I hate seeing lefty hitters who have a career sub .200 average against LHP in the top of the order.

I also hope to never see a lefty pinch hitter against a LHP again. I know our depth was not great this year but there shouldn't ever be a time that happens. You should be able to have another right handed bat or two on the bench that can at least pinch hit.
Jtilley
CLTWolf said:

Jtilley said:

StateFan2001 said:

Must be a Nixon thing as anything that bends and in the dirt they have trouble laying off of. Haha

I don't care if he hits .300 just get on base and he's very mature with working counts at this stage so I think his walk numbers will be up there. He definitely has patience at the plate. Hopefully he fills out sooner than later from a power perspective.
Yea I agree, just get on base. I would be interested to see what his average was without his drag bunts as hits. I had a love hate with those because it seemed like later in the year he was attempting it more and more. I love seeing a good bunt but when he didn't get it he would basically be starting in an 0-1 count or easy out.
Glasswolf
Jtilley said:

Glasswolf said:

Jtilley said:

StateFan2001 said:

100000000%.

This is probably my biggest gripe with Avent and not changing his lineups. Not just this year but I hate seeing lefty hitters who have a career sub .200 average against LHP in the top of the order.

I also hope to never see a lefty pinch hitter against a LHP again. I know our depth was not great this year but there shouldn't ever be a time that happens. You should be able to have another right handed bat or two on the bench that can at least pinch hit.
Serrano, Cozart, Soles were all near or above .300. None were immune from down and away. That's why I like the idea of having a switch hitter or two in the lineup. Fitz-Gerald and Lyons along with incoming Freshman Trey Bentley are all switch hitters

JCooke93
Still going after some infilders right now
gopack1979
Avent used to play the line up game where he switched lefties and righties based on pitcher and we'd complain kids couldn't get in rhythm or there was a drop off in the fielding. Can't have it both ways...
Jtilley
Glasswolf said:

Jtilley said:

Glasswolf said:

Jtilley said:

StateFan2001 said:

100000000%.

Serrano, Cozart, Soles were all near or above .300. None were immune from down and away. That's why I like the idea of having a switch hitter or two in the lineup. Fitz-Gerald and Lyons along with incoming Freshman Trey Bentley are all switch hitters
Cozarts splits had to be insane. I can't find them but I doubt he hit .200 vs lefties.
Jtilley
gopack1979 said:

Avent used to play the line up game where he switched lefties and righties based on pitcher and we'd complain kids couldn't get in rhythm or there was a drop off in the fielding. Can't have it both ways...
If you're hitting sub .200 vs a lefty there is no getting in rhythm to begin with lol. I get it, I just think its an old school approach and you should maximize your lineup better.

Easy for me to say though, I haven't went to multiple CWS or anything.
wilmwolf
I don't think guys struggling to hit left on left breaking pitches is a condition unique to NC State hitters. Unfortunately this past season due to roster construction and injuries, there just weren't many options in those situations.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
The Gatekeeper.
Jtilley
wilmwolf said:

I don't think guys struggling to hit left on left breaking pitches is a condition unique to NC State hitters. Unfortunately this past season due to roster construction and injuries, there just weren't many options in those situations.
Right, outside of Juan Soto, Ohtani or your other elite lefty hitters the majority of lefties struggle vs lefties.

I watch too much MLB now and if you don't hit lefties you are platooned. I know that is not the case in college for the most part.
Glasswolf
Jtilley said:

Glasswolf said:

Jtilley said:

Glasswolf said:

Jtilley said:

StateFan2001 said:

100000000%.

Cozarts splits had to be insane. I can't find them but I doubt he hit .200 vs lefties.

I'm sure he didn't but there were games where he looked terrible against LHP

Bas2020
Are we still going after the SS at San Diego ?
JCooke93
Maybe
JCooke93
So
JCooke93
I am keeping a eye on a Washington infilder
CLTWolf
New JUCO name...Nate Nichols LH OF Yavapai College in Arizona
Hit .371 as a FR in a wooden bat college league. That's legit. He's probably 5'11 190 or so.
https://twitter.com/NathanNichols27

https://goroughriders.com/sports/baseball/roster/nate-nichols/918

As Mr Cooke alluded to in a post above, looks like we've reached out to Aiva Arquette, MIF from Hawaii that spent two years at Washington. Was also drafted in the 18th round out of HS. Grew up in the same hometown as Kalae Harrison.
https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=947006
https://gohuskies.com/sports/baseball/roster/aiva-arquette/15687

he's 6'4 220. Would be a massive get and probably the starting SS for whatever team he ends up on. Played 2B for the Husky's this year. They had a pretty good SS that just hit the portal as well.
Glasswolf
I'm sensing a trend here where the staff is targeting more size and speed. It's going to be a different roster this season

James Henderson
Staff
CLTWolf said:

New JUCO name...Nate Nichols LH OF Yavapai College in Arizona
Hit .371 as a FR in a wooden bat college league. That's legit. He's probably 5'11 190 or so.
https://twitter.com/NathanNichols27

https://goroughriders.com/sports/baseball/roster/nate-nichols/918

As Mr Cooke alluded to in a post above, looks like we've reached out to Aiva Arquette, MIF from Hawaii that spent two years at Washington. Was also drafted in the 18th round out of HS. Grew up in the same hometown as Kalae Harrison.
https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=947006
https://gohuskies.com/sports/baseball/roster/aiva-arquette/15687

he's 6'4 220. Would be a massive get and probably the starting SS for whatever team he ends up on. Played 2B for the Husky's this year. They had a pretty good SS that just hit the portal as well.
That kid would probably be State's best player (Arquette).
JCooke93
100%
JCooke93
And new pitcher target David Shaw from Texas Longhorns
JCooke93
And Going after looks like Brayden fraasman Summer League Teammate SP Parker Dillhoff
JCooke93
Brayden Fraasman has been playing LF/CF this summer and has been batting 2th in the batting order
braz213
66 at bats and batting 379 with 1 hr.
JCooke93
Thank you
Packsd14me
CLT, how does Fraasman's arm translate? Offensively, he looks very athletic at the plate although all his good hits but one seem middle in, his bat looks pretty good. Between Thompson and he, who is the CF and could either play RF? Or could Bechtel be in play there?
James Henderson
Staff
Packsd14me said:

CLT, how does Fraasman's arm translate? Offensively, he looks very athletic at the plate although all his good hits but one seem middle in, his bat looks pretty good. Between Thompson and he, who is the CF and could either play RF? Or could Bechtel be in play there?
I would think Hogue in RF, Fraasman LF, and Thompson in CF.
JCooke93
Great minds think a like hopefully Thompson can get to campus this fall after the draft
CLTWolf
James Henderson said:

Packsd14me said:

I would think Hogue in RF, Fraasman LF, and Thompson in CF.

Prolly swap Hogue and Fraasman. Hogue started in LF and played 19 games there until Soles got hurt then he moved to Right. Fraasman played RF this year for Lincoln Trail with a game or two in center sprinkled in.
Good news is we know Hogue can play RF as well with 17 starts there until he got hurt.
Fraasman apparently ran a 6.63 sixty at a scout day a year ago so he's plenty fast to play center if needed, IMO.
He was a HS catcher so his arm should have plenty of juice from out there.
JCooke93
Love that lineup for Outfield too

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.