2019 baseball rankings

19,560 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by WilmingtonPackman777
EthanBarry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
GrayWolf98 said:

EthanBarry said:

GrayWolf98 said:

Clemson went from unranked to ranked ahead of us. Ok.
They did sweep a top 5 team
So those three losses don't mean anything? It also doesn't explain how Coastal Carolina is also ranked ahead of us? This poll just seems all over the place. But it doesnt really matter right now. Bottom line is, keep winning and see where we land at the end of the year.
They do matter and they did drop a noticeable amount. As for Coastal, they are a very good team and we won a 50/50 game against them, that's not going to show voters we are clearly better than them. If State had beat them in a series, different conversation.
GrayWolf98
It seems to me that the biggest hangup, and it is referenced in the write-up, is that we don't have a nationally recognized pitcher right now. What we do have had is a reliable pitching staff, however. I will take that every day of the week. It will be fun to see us match up with the other ACC heavy-weights. We have time to prove it.
The artist formerly known as LuvtheHerb - DONT PANIC!
EthanBarry
Staff
My point is, is State ranked too low? Probably. They're also winning games at an unsustainable rate. 6-0 in one-run games and the pythagorean formula has State at 12-3. If they rank State too high now they're going to have to overcorrect at some point. The other problem is that Minnesota is doing State no favors and Elon, Kent State and Campbell have just been okay, so the schedule doesn't look as tough as it originally did. Hopefully that changes at some point. I think around 15 is fine for where State is now
ScoobyWolf
Minnesota is 0-5 in 1 run games....maybe their pythagorean forumula will even that out..
wilmwolf
EthanBarry said:

My point is, is State ranked too low? Probably. They're also winning games at an unsustainable rate. 6-0 in one-run games and the pythagorean formula has State at 12-3. If they rank State too high now they're going to have to overcorrect at some point. The other problem is that Minnesota is doing State no favors and Elon, Kent State and Campbell have just been okay, so the schedule doesn't look as tough as it originally did. Hopefully that changes at some point. I think around 15 is fine for where State is now
I would agree, if we were ranked ~15 in all the polls.
johntom
We haven't played the best schedule so far. We'll be a consensus top 10 team if we take 2 of 3 against FSU this weekend. It shouldn't have to be this way, but it is what it is.
GrayWolf98
Being 6-0 in one-run games should be a huge positive, not viewed as something to hold back State in the rankings. Just my two cents.
metcalfmafia
johntom said:

We haven't played the best schedule so far. We'll be a consensus top 10 team if we take 2 of 3 against FSU this weekend. It shouldn't have to be this way, but it is what it is.
Yep. We win the series this weekend, then there will be no doubt.
cape2
metcalfmafia said:

Wolfer79 said:

I'm dying laughing....thats funny as hell.....
Wolfer79
wolfpack1437
Arizona State wins last night and improves to 16-0.

The real question is: Is it more important to be the last remaining undefeated team -or- the team with the most wins before a loss? Pack is currently 17-0 but heads into a tough weekend series against FSU.
GrayWolf98
The streak is impressive, but taking 2 of 3 this weekend will be even more impressive to me. FSU is a very good baseball team.
wolfpack1437
GrayWolf98 said:

The streak is impressive, but taking 2 of 3 this weekend will be even more impressive to me. FSU is a very good baseball team.
No doubt, but why can't we have both (the longest streak and series win over FSU)
wilmwolf
I'll toast a good bourbon to 20-0.
GrayWolf98
wolfpack1437 said:

GrayWolf98 said:

No doubt, but why can't we have both (the longest streak and series win over FSU)
Oh we can, and I hope we do!
wolfpack1437
wilmwolf80 said:

I'll toast a good bourbon to 20-0.
Atta boy!
EthanBarry
Staff
GrayWolf98 said:

They are definitely good but they've had a ridiculously easy non conference slate, should've lost to VT last weekend and looked awful against Florida on Tuesday. It's a good time to play them
Riddickulous
FSU is our baseball kryptonite.
boguesound
We'll see how biased some of these rankings really are after this weekend.
wilmwolf
I think if we sweep the series we may finally crack the top 20.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Wolfer79
wilmwolf80 said:

I think if we sweep the series we may finally crack the top 20.

Warrennolan.com RPI dropped 3 places from Sunday to end of play yesterday, do not get your hopes up too high.
GrayWolf98
Almost got the sweep. Lets see what the polls think this week.
Wolfer79

Wolfer79

D1BASEBALL #6
wilmwolf
Lol at UNC still in the top ten in the BA poll.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
metcalfmafia
Yay we're good now!
GrayWolf98
wilmwolf80 said:

Lol at UNC still in the top ten in the BA poll.
They are 2-4 in the conference yet ranked in the top 10. OK.
Wolfer79

Perfect Game #8
Wolfer79

Wolfer79
PackFansXL
Wolfer79 said:

That's a nice reward for a great start and a series win over FSU! Lot's of baseball left to play. Go Pack!
Wolfer79
ScoobyWolf
moved up to #5 in Baseball America poll and D1Baseball

College Top 25

D1Baseball Top 25
WolfPacker54
Baseball America is the most UNC homer ranking site ever. How in the world are they still considered a top 10 team?

They also list us as being 2-1 against the top 25 when we are actually 3-1.
PackFansXL
WolfPacker54 said:

Baseball America is the most UNC homer ranking site ever. How in the world are they still considered a top 10 team?

They also list us as being 2-1 against the top 25 when we are actually 3-1.
The good news is we will get the chance to prove we belong despite journalistic biases.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.