Wrightsville Beach / Wilmington area dining recommendations

1,167 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by wilmwolf
Bell Tower Grey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mrs. BTG and I will be spending about a week or so at Wrightsville Beach beginning Tuesday. We've not been to that area of the coast in at least 15 years, if not longer. Looking for dining recs (all 3 meals) as well as any breweries, etc. that might be of interest.
wilmwolf
Even though I live here, I'm terrible with recommendations because I'm a hermit. A friend worked at South Beach for a long time, so I've eaten there some and it's good food. I liked Poe's tavern the time I went there. Honestly, if I'm on the island during the day, I'm probably eating at Roberts grocery. Their chicken salad is well known, but their hot food is good, particularly fried chicken. Wrightsville Beach brewery isn't on the island but is close. Most of the folks I know that go there say the beer is just ok but it's a nice place. If you venture to downtown Wilmington Front Street brewery is a good place to go for food and beer, and they have probably the best bourbon selection in town. There's a ton of breweries downtown now. My friends like New Anthem the best, but I've heard good things about some of the others. Lots of good restaurants downtown also. There's also the Mayfair area which is close to WB and would be new from the last time you were here. Lots it's restaurants there. I think most places are back open now, but like I say, I don't go out much. I'm sure there's lots of other great places that I'm leaving out, hopefully some of our other locals are more helpful.

And traffic across town sucks, and particularly in the areas around WB.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
SupplyChainPack
South beach grill in wrightsville is very good. (Seafood)

Jimbo's in Wilmington is great for traditional informal breakfast.

If you wonder down to Carolina Beach by chance, Michaels Seafood is awesome.
wolfman18
Japanese/Thai - Indochine...Yosake downtown is really good too

Seafood - Can't go wrong with Cape Fear Seafood or Hieronymus

American - Copper Penny, Fork n' Cork, Dixie Grill (Breakfast)

Anne Bonny's downtown is a pretty cool spot

Sweet n' Savory is a really good lunch spot close to WB

3rdGenPacker
On the island, be sure to go to Tower 7 - you'll love it. Near Wings. This is a must. If you don't go anywhere else on the island, go to Tower 7.

For lunch on the island definitely do Robert's chicken salad at least once like suggested, but also try Trolley Stop - one of the best hot dogs you'll ever have. Bring cash.

As others have mentioned, South Beach is a good seafood place.

If you're looking for atmosphere and being on the water, Oceanic and Blue Water are nice places with OK food that is a little over priced but again, you're paying for the views. Oceanic has a pier on the ocean and Blue Water is near the bridge coming onto the island.

Also on the water, just on the mainland side of the bridge, is Dockside. Not as upscale as South Beach or Oceanic or Blue Water but a cool hangout. Haven't been there in about 2 years though and heard it's not as good as it used to be.

I'd second the opinions on Wrightsville Brewery as well, nice place, good food, decent beer.
TheStorm
On Island casual hole in the wall. King Neptune for any of the three (3) meals. *Don't judge the book by it's cover, food is killer.

Watermans Brewery is tucked in there on a side street right after Wrightsville Avenue splits to the left after you just come off the island. Wrightsville Beach Brewery is at the corner of Military Cutoff and Greenville Avenue.

Oceanic (South end on Island right where Sunset dumps into S. Lumina).
BlueWater (Island side) on the ICWW lunch or dinner.
Bridge Tender, Fish House or Dockside (Mainland) ICWW lunch in my opinion.
Cruz (Mainland or right after Bridge) *same ownership group as Tower 7 on Island.
Osteria Chichetti (The Forum) or Roko (Mayfaire Community Center) if you want good Italian.

Casual lunch. Someone already said Poe's (on the Causeway)... PT's and Slice of Life (Progress Pointe at corner of Eastwood and Military Cutoff).

*I should have read above first, looks like a lot of this was already covered.

ushum
use to love the she crab soup at Oceanic but it's been a good many years since I've been...
WolfpackCPA
Some really good suggestions here

Indochine Make sure to sit out back it's an experience.

Also like fly trap brewing and Alcove.

Go to dockside Sunday afternoon and get a painkiller
stiflersmom
Haven't lived in that area since 2003 but Indochine(spring rolls), Sweet and Savory and Incredible Pizza are longtime favorites.

One that I'll disagree with is Oceanic. I really want this one to be a good restaurant but I recommend only going for a drink and a stroll on the pier. We've vacationed several times in ILM of late and the Oceanic food has been horrible. It used to be really good and enjoyable but now it's like their kitchen staff are amateurs at best.
SupplyChainPack
I will just mention here, if you are staying at a hotel in the area, steer clear of the Hilton Garden at Mayfair in Wilmington.

Normally you wouldn't think about a Hilton Garden as a roach motel, but in fact, they have a very large breeding population of that very creature.

I realize its harder to control them near the beach, but I don't think management at the Hilton Garden is even trying.

Truly disgusting.
Bell Tower Grey
SupplyChainPack said:

I will just mention here, if you are staying at a hotel in the area, steer clear of the Hilton Garden at Mayfair in Wilmington.

Normally you wouldn't think about a Hilton Garden as a roach motel, but in fact, they have a very large breeding population of that very creature.

I realize its harder to control them near the beach, but I don't think management at the Hilton Garden is even trying.

Truly disgusting.

Thanks for the heads up. No worries, not staying there.

Appreciate all the information thus far.
Bell Tower Grey
Bell Tower Grey said:

Mrs. BTG and I will be spending about a week or so at Wrightsville Beach beginning Tuesday. We've not been to that area of the coast in at least 15 years, if not longer. Looking for dining recs (all 3 meals) as well as any breweries, etc. that might be of interest.
Recap: Even though we were going to stay till Wednesday, we came home this evening following the first day of rain and crappy weather, in addition to having a few things around here I need to do. Was a nice get away. Love the beach in the fall.

Appreciate all the dining recommendations; we really never had bad food, just some better than other .

South Beach Grill was one of two co-favorites. Ate there a couple of times when we wanted a fried seafood fix. Their oysters, although small, were fried lightly and full of flavor. Scallops were fried perfectly, as were the shrimp. Wasn't a fan of the coleslaw, as it was loaded with mayo, and I'm not that big a fan of mayo. The big slice of corn bread that was brought out first was a nice option and was also very good. Service was outstanding and the waitress was a cutie. She knows how to work the diners.

Tower 7 (which I remember as K38 on the mainland) was the other co-favorite. I enjoyed both grilled tuna and grilled shrimp tacos. The salsa on both should be sold on the open market... Both were solid in their own right; I got one of each because I couldn't decide between the two. Mrs. BTG got an enchilada (I believe) of shrimp, bacon and pineapple. Had we gone back I would have gotten that - it was delicious. The margaritas were worth the visit alone. We ate at the bar in order to get served quicker. Bartender / server was engaging and was an outright smokeshow. I was caught more than once just locked in on her...you could bounce quarters off her all day long. Fortunately for me, Mrs. BTG acknowledged I was justified in my opinion.

If anyone is planning a trip to WB, definitely put these two on the "must do" list.

Dropped in at King Neptune for dinner one night. As one poster stated, don't judge the book by its cover. Mrs. got a combo platter of flounder and shrimp. There was 3 large pieces of fish and 8 shrimp, in additon to fries and slaw. Very good. I got a combo of sirloin steak and blackened shrimp. It was good, but not great. My judgement of this may be clouded because I'm not a sirloin (prefer ribeye) fan but it was the only steak choice and I wanted steak. Beer was cold and the server was attentive. Great venue to people watch, as there is only outside dining under a big tent, at this time.

Best breakfast was from Jimbo's, on College Rd in Wilmington. Hard to go wrong with a Greek owned joint. Standard fare, done well and reasonably priced. Service was very attentive. Definitely would go back again.

Saltworks was our choice for breakfast today. Small place, but they also have a tent with picnic tables set up, Absolutely the best grits I've eaten in a restaurant in many years. Actually ordered another side of them, along with some bacon, after I finished my initial order of bacon & egg sandwich with grits. Disappointing thing was the coffee. Not sure what went wrong with that, but overall, it was worth a visit and will return.

Also had breakfast one morning at Gulfstream, on the end of the building where Redix is. Used to be Causeway Cafe, and back in the day they had the field covered for breakfast. I understand it went down badly before closing. The new ownership has done a great job re-building the place. Bright, fresh interior. Solid service. Food was good and the best bargain, price wise, that we had. Loved that it was on the island, which was convenient. Would go back.
SupplyChainPack
Glad you had a good time. Sorry you had to cut it a little short.
wilmwolf
Glad you enjoyed yourself. And yes, WB is full of smoke shows.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.