Bear Fishing at Brooks Falls in Alaska

3,120 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DrummerboyWolf
DrummerboyWolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not sure if I have posted this link in previous years, but if you love the outdoors and nature, this is a great web cam to watch. The salmon are running for the next 6 weeks at Brooks Falls in Alaska. This is where the bears come to eat to build up their winter coats. The bears might eat up to 40 pounds of salmon a day. There are several different cameras to watch. You might see a mother bear with her cubs. Usually they won't be at the falls, but they will be just down river a little where there are not as many male bears for the mother to defend against. I watch this link every day and every year about this time.

https://explore.org/livecams/brown-bears/brown-bear-salmon-cam-brooks-falls
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
Mormad
Man that's really cool
DrummerboyWolf
Mormad said:

Man that's really cool
Yeah it's pretty neat. We went to Alaska in 2008 and after we completed a dog sledding camp(pulled you around on a wheeled sled) we had to cross over a little stream to get back to the tour bus. Right before we got to the bus, a bear came into the stream and caught a fish and I got it all on video.
Mormad
We went to Alaska for a week, and all I wanted to do was see a bear. We even took a float plane trip and the pilot flew us around looking for one. Never saw one.
DrummerboyWolf
Mormad said:

We went to Alaska for a week, and all I wanted to do was see a bear. We even took a float plane trip and the pilot flew us around looking for one. Never saw one.
We were there for almost two weeks. Saw plenty of bears but only one moose. The moose was at a conservation center and he came right up to the fence and we petted him.
PackMom
Alaska is one place I always wanted to go. I'll share that link with my granddaughter. She'll love it!
DrummerboyWolf
PackMom said:

Alaska is one place I always wanted to go. I'll share that link with my granddaughter. She'll love it!
Best trip I have ever taken.. It's not cheap, but it's awesome!
Steve Williams
Staff
DrummerboyWolf said:

PackMom said:

Best trip I have ever taken.. It's not cheap, but it's awesome!
Agreed. We were there a year ago this weekend. Best trip I've ever taken. Like you said, expensive, but worth every penny.
DrummerboyWolf
Here is a link to a web cam in Talkeetna which is about 60 miles from Mt. McKinley or Denali as the locals call it. It's cloudy as I am posting this and the mountain range pretty much makes it's own weather, so it can be cloudy a lot. When it's clear, it's a spectacular view left to right of Mt. Foraker(over 17,000 feet), Mt. Hunter)over 14,000 feet) and Mt. McKinley(over 20,000 feet) which is the highest peak in North America. We took a flight seeing trip and landed on a glacier somewhere between those mountains.

https://www.talkeetnaair.com/webcam/
BruceDouble
Good buddy of mine has worked up at brooks lodge last 3 or 4 summers. If y'all have been up there, you have probably met him. Maybe the only guy in Alaska with that thick of a southern accent.
DrummerboyWolf
BruceDouble said:

Good buddy of mine has worked up at brooks lodge last 3 or 4 summers. If y'all have been up there, you have probably met him. Maybe the only guy in Alaska with that thick of a southern accent.
I don't know about that. First day we were in Alaska, we went for a scenic rafting trip early in the morning down on the Kenai Peninsula. I had some N. C. State gear on and when we checked in for the scenic rafting, the girl asked if I went to State and I said yes. She and 3 of her friends had just graduated from UNC and were working that summer in Alaska. There was also a guide with the rafting company who went to State. My wife made me give him a brand new hat.

Later that day we went on a white water rafting trip and one of the guides was from Boone and his sister had gone to State. It is a small world.
BruceDouble
You're right. Crazy the connections with people you meet out in the world. I still feel like N.C. is small scale since I grew up here but damn it's grown. Everywhere I go it seems someone has a connection.
SupplyChainPack
DrummerboyWolf said:

Not sure if I have posted this link in previous years, but if you love the outdoors and nature, this is a great web cam to watch. The salmon are running for the next 6 weeks at Brooks Falls in Alaska. This is where the bears come to eat to build up their winter coats. The bears might eat up to 40 pounds of salmon a day. There are several different cameras to watch. You might see a mother bear with her cubs. Usually they won't be at the falls, but they will be just down river a little where there are not as many male bears for the mother to defend against. I watch this link every day and every year about this time.

Thanks for sharing this. That is excellent!
DrummerboyWolf
SupplyChainPack said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Thanks for sharing this. That is excellent!
No problem and you are welcome. It is extremely neat. I saw a bear on top of the falls catch 3 fish out of the air in about 5 minutes.
Mormad
Even my kids are hooked. Great link. Thanks so much. Makes me wanna make that trip when this craziness is over.
DrummerboyWolf
Was watching yesterday on the down river cam and there was a mother bear with 3 cubs. She kept leaving and two of the cubs would jump on her back while she was swimming. The third did not look well. She kept coming back and trying to get him to come. Finally he started swimming and looked like he made it to a little island, but that was the last we saw of it. The mother kept coming back for at least and hour and trying to find it or maybe see if it was ok. I learned today that the cub did not make it. The park rangers went and recovered the body today on the little island and said it died of natural causes. They could not intervene yesterday. Sometimes nature is tough, but it happens all the time with most species. Unfortunately my wife and I saw everything that happened and that was not the plan when I called my wife in from the other room.

SupplyChainPack
Wow, that's extraordinary. To see raw nature, the struggle for life like that is a double edged sword.
DrummerboyWolf
Here is a story about the lost bear and how life goes on for the mother and her two remaining cubs.

https://mashable.com/article/bear-cam-dead-cub/

DrummerboyWolf
There are also about 8 bears feeding at the falls as of about 7:15 pm this evening. 3:15 pm Alaska time.
Steve Williams
Staff
DrummerboyWolf said:

Here is a story about the lost bear and how life goes on for the mother and her two remaining cubs.

https://mashable.com/article/bear-cam-dead-cub/

Interesting. Thanks.
WolfQuacker
I tuned in at a pretty cool time:

DrummerboyWolf
WolfQuacker said:

I tuned in at a pretty cool time:

A bear in Wolf's clothing.

You also "caught" two of the other bears with fish.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.