ROB'S TAKE: NC State's Win In Durham

2,855 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Wolfpackrich1
James Henderson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Some Notes Rob McLamb...

NC State slugs past Duke
NC State used a six-run outburst in the top of the fifth inning followed by a pair of runs in the next frame to eventually ease past Duke, 14-5, in a scrimmage game that lasted 12 innings Friday evening at Durham Bulls Athletic Park.

Josh Hood and Payton Green each had two-RBI triples and Chase Nixon crushed a pinch-hit homer over the wall in right to highlight the Wolfpack attack at the plate.

The game was played longer than the needed nine innings to get both teams some extra work as the season remains months away.

Some Random Thoughts

DURM
I did not get the final attendance number but there was a solid crowd (I tweeted some photos) in Durham. The Wolfpackers of the area deserve a ton of credit. They are out there supporting their squad. It was an October scrimmage game on a Friday night with the baseball season about four months away and a big football game the following day, but the fans did their bit.

It was a wonderful fall evening in beautiful downtown Durham, North Carolina -- just like it always is.

State Hood
The Pack did serious damage at the dish in the top of the fifth, scoring six runs to reverse a three-run deficit. Noah Soles and J.T. Jarrett were among those who got key hits.

Josh Hood, a transfer from Penn, cleared the bases with a triple that drove in the fifth and sixth runs of the frame.

I am very high on Hood. I project him to be one of NC State's better players in 2022 and I think he has First Team All-ACC potential. Keep an eye on Josh Hood.

Green Monster
Another player I like, and apparently Major League scouts agree, is Payton Green. The freshman eschewed an offer to play professionally for Boston after he was selected in the 15th round by the Red Sox in the most recent draft.

The Green Hope alum also tripled home two runs. His blast to the wall in the sixth inning put the game out of reach as it gave the Wolfpack a five-run lead. Green, like Cozart, is 6-3 and has the build to take on more muscle. He got the start Friday at shortstop and wears the No. 8, which obviously has deep meaning in NC State's baseball program. He is another player that could find his way to All-ACC status by the end of the season.

Catching Recognition
Jacob Cozart, a freshman from High Point, NC (Wesleyan Christian Academy), threw out two baserunners attempting to steal second base in the first inning.

Cozart is 6-3 and, while his weight was not listed on the game notes, he looks like a sturdy fellow already. When you see an impressively built catcher that bats from the left side, the first inclination is to compare him to Hall of Famer Ted Simmons. That type of pressure can wait, but it is relatively clear that a few months in the weight room and he will look like someone Wolfpack fans can count on seeing in the lineup in the spring and beyond.

With one out and runners on first and second base in the top of the fifth inning, Cozart doubled to left-center and drove in the Wolfpack's first run of the game.

A Growing Payne
The last time Garrett Payne was seen on the mound was in Omaha. While that was his only start and just his seventh appearance, Payne performed well and looked like a pitcher that may make the transition to weekend starting in 2022.

Payne was handed the ball Friday against Duke and pitched well. In three innings, he allowed no runs and two hits. If I had to make an educated guess right now, I'd say Payne gets handed the ball on Saturdays or Sundays. Time will tell.

In Summary
Overall, NC State will be a young team in 2022. It is months away from the start of the campaign, but don't be surprised if the Pack starts slow as it finds its footing and establishes an identity. The wild swings of 2021 are not the norm, so expect State to start better and not finish the regular season as blazing hot as last season.

Will the Wolfpack make a return to Omaha? That is a question best left for next spring. As it is now, don't be surprised to see the best version of this team in May and June of 2022. They should continue to get better.
pack2010
my lineup, post Duke (assuming health of everyone)

C- Cozart
1st- Groover
2nd- JT
SS- Green
3rd- Hood
LF- Truitt or Dom P
CF- Soles
RF- Brown
DH- White

Top reserves- Godman, Truitt/ Dom P./ Eisert/ Nixon/ Lavoie

SP- Highfill
SP- Willadsen
SP- Payne

Closer- Villaman

Top pen arms-Harrison, Baker Nelson, Sipple, Cooper, Logan Adam, Silver, Ingle.

I think a couple other young guys such as Dienes, Miralia, Carson Kelly, Lawson will get a shot too
wilmwolf
In the highlight video, there was a clip of Cozart saying "they ain't running on me!" or something to that effect. Like that attitude. That's a big question mark position for me, so if someone like him can step in and take that job from day one, that would bode well.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
wolfpack1437
It will surprise me if Payne is a weekend starter this year. I was thinking we might see Harrison on Sundays and Payne as the midweek guy.
wilmwolf
I agree, I think it would be good for him to have the role like Villaman did last year, midweek guy that you can use for long relief later in the year. I just can't see not having one lefty in the weekend rotation, just to mix things up. I think it will be Villaman and you look for someone else to be the closer, but we'll see.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
pack2010
wolfpack1437 said:

It will surprise me if Payne is a weekend starter this year. I was thinking we might see Harrison on Sundays and Payne as the midweek guy.

I agree, and I forgot to mention Harrison in my guess. I only went with Payne because of Robs notes, I'd like Harrison there
JCooke93
Not bad
Rob McLamb
Staff
wolfpack1437 said:

Y'all might be right ultimately, but I am telling you this: Payne is a dude. He has a huge upside and has not touched on his top potential yet. He will be a factor this season in my opinion.
Twitter: @RobMcLamb
JCooke93
Yes he will
wolfpack1437
Rob McLamb said:

wolfpack1437 said:

Y'all might be right ultimately, but I am telling you this: Payne is a dude. He has a huge upside and has not touched on his top potential yet. He will be a factor this season in my opinion.
I'm definitely with you on his potential-- he will be a key cog for the Pack. I'm not sure he will ever have "wow" stuff but he keeps the ball down and with some added strength and size he could definitely add some ticks to his fastball
JCooke93
Yup
Wolfpackrich1
Rob McLamb said:

wolfpack1437 said:

He is a dude!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.