2023 NC State Women's Cross Country 11/19 NCAA CHAMPS!

37,875 Views | 338 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by toddl
GuerrillaPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good write up here on the ACC Championship, with quotes from Henes and Tuohy. Henes says that Tyynismaa did not finish the race due to cramps.

https://www.dyestat.com/gprofile.php?mgroup_id=44531&do=news&news_id=667244

Quote:

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - North Carolina State's Katelyn Touhy claimed her second individual title and the Wolfpack women won their eighth consecutive team title Friday morning at ACC Cross Country Championships at Apalachee Regional Park in moderate 67 degree temperatures and high humidity conditions (99%).

It was the same course where the Wolfpack won their first NCAA D1 title in school history in 2021 after winning the AIAW titles in 1979 and 1980. The first AIAW National Championship meet was held in Tallahassee as well. The return to Tallahassee was not lost on head coach Laurie Henes, who's been an athlete or coach in the program since 1988.

"I was actually in a group text with three of the women that I am coaching now post collegiately that were a part of that championship team. Ally Hayes, Savannah Shaw and Hannah Steelman. We were reminiscing about being here in Tallahassee. This did kind of start this ball rolling with this group. Man I miss them, but that's the fun of it in what we do. They left a legacy that allows the leaders to carry on the same."

Saturday saw the first race for Amaris Tyynismaa in a Wolfpack uniform. The senior transfer from Alabama was 15th at the 5k, but suffered some cramps and did not finish, Henes said.

"We tried to work on grouping and it didn't happen exactly the way we wanted to today, but we had some people coming back. We had some people running well. Our veterans ran really well. Sometimes you take that for granted and certainly we should not."
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
DrummerboyWolf
Here is the replay from the ACC Network of both races. The women's race starts at about 51 minutes of the video. Men's race is first.

https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/bd411114-3721-45a2-be08-df5f1bdba044
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
DrummerboyWolf
Good that Amaris Tyynismaa only had cramps. I am sure it was quite warm down in Tallahassee and being her first meet back, she was probably amped up more than she normally would be.
jadawson
Going back and watching the race and looking at the splits ive got as close to full faith as i can have that Bush is going to be back to her normal self. Bush was much close to the teammates she needs to be running with here than she was at Joe Piane a month ago. 3 more weeks of tightening the screws and I think she'll be good to go at nationals. Stephens is going to be solid as she's proven by now. A really nice performance for her would be 15-20th, id probably set expectations at something more like 30th and anything extra is gravy.

Tyynismaa is obviously the x factor. At her best she's top 10. But she hasn't finished a race this year. If she runs with Bush and Stephens then i think we win. If she isn't there then i think NAU wins by a solid margin because i dont think Hartman has the top 30ish place we'll need out of our 5th runner in her right now.
Wolfer79
With her third-place finish of 19:36.5 last Friday at the 2023 ACC Championships, Kelsey Chmiel became the first ever five-time All-ACC cross country honoree in program history

GuerrillaPack
The anonymous poster "Tuffy" on the LetsRun forums (believed to be an "insider" to the NC State XC program) has posted that 2-3 members of the women's team might rest and not run at Regionals. I think it makes sense to rest Stephens, obviously, since she has run every race this season from the Adidas Challenge to ACCs. Maybe rest Chmiel too? I'm no running expert, but I think you might want to run Bush and Tyynismaa in order to test where they are at, and build their confidence up.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
GuerrillaPack
cylonwolf has the entire race posted:

jadawson
NC State picked up their 4th commitment on the Women's side today. Chandler Welsh from RJ Reynolds HS in Winston Salem. She has PB's of 4:59:10:35/17:44 and she just took 2nd place at the 4A state championship meet last weekend. Her PB's get more impressive as the distance gets higher so hopefully she can be someone that adapts to and thrives at the 6k distance in college.

https://instagr.am/p/CzUt1tWxW9k
jadawson
The National Letter of Intent period opened today for Cross Country/Track and Field. 2 previously committed recruits signed with the wolfpack women today. Justine Preisano from Cuthbertson high school who just finished 7th at the 4A state meet last weekend.

https://instagr.am/p/CzaBkGZsxcr

Also Chandler Welsh who just recently committed has signed. She is from RJ Reynolds high school and was just 2nd at the 4A state meet last weekend.

https://instagr.am/p/CzZ5iwNxUPj

Wolfer79
The NC State men's and women's cross country teams are set to return to the course on Friday, competing in the 2023 NCAA Southeast Regional in Spartanburg, S.C.

NCAA SOUTHEAST REGIONAL MEET INFORMATION:
Date: Friday, November 11, 2023
Live Results:Available Here
Schedule:Available Here

Live results will be provided on meet day via Twitter @Wolfpack_TFXC and Instagram @wolfpack_tf_xc.

https://gopack.com/news/2023/11/8/cross-country-pack-primed-ncaa-southeast-regional
Wolfer79
No streaming for regional

https://www.ncaa.com/live-updates/cross-country-women/d1/2023-di-cross-country-regional-championships-schedule-times-live-updates-results
jadawson
Another member of the women's distance class of 2024 has signed. Bethany Michalak from Monument, Colorado. She was just recently 6th in the Colorado 5A state championship 2 weeks ago.

https://instagr.am/p/Czb0sDrx-JT

Wolfer79
jadawson
The final member of our women's distance class (so far at least) has signed. Xela Martinez from Spain.

https://instagr.am/p/CzcnA9wM8PF
toddl
Staff
Light rain starting 20 minutes before the race starts…
GuerrillaPack
The story currently up on the Wolfpack T&F/XC Instagram has a short video of the following 7 warming up: Tuohy, Tyynismaa, Bush, Schulz, G. Quarzo, Hartman, and Howlett.

Don't know if any alternates would be warming up. So maybe that's the 7 running, and Chmiel and Stephens are resting and not running today.
jadawson
Yes they've updated the athletes listing on the results site to only show 7 names and its the 7 you listed. Makes sense to me as Chmiel and Stephens were the two who seemed to be fading more than finishing strong and passing runners at the end of ACC's. Give them a rest and let them be 100%.
toddl
Staff
Black and white. New uniforms
toddl
Staff

jadawson
good to see Tyynismaa confident enough to roll with the leaders at the start. She was 3 or 4 seconds back at this point 2 weeks ago
DrummerboyWolf
2K split. Tuohy and Tyynismaa 1 and 2. Furman up 55-58 in the team
DrummerboyWolf
Pack leading right now. Maybe not all the runners were through when I first saw it. 69 for State and 70 for Furman
GuerrillaPack
toddl said:

Great shot
DrummerboyWolf
3.5 K split Pack is leading with 46 to 67 for Furman. State has 5 of the top 22. Tuohy was 4th and Amaris tenth. Still a lot of runners closely packed at the front.
jadawson
group starting to separate at 3.5k. Judy Kosgei of South Carolina pulling away a bit. Tuohy, Tyynismaa, Hartman and Quarzo all right there in the chase pack. Bush, Schulz and Howlett a few seconds back. Curious as to the race plan for Tuohy if she even bothers going for the win or not, or if this is more of a workout effort for her.
DrummerboyWolf
Tuohy first across at 5K. I think she wants to win
jadawson
question answered. Tuohy back in front at 5k by 10 seconds lol. She means business
jadawson
either tyynismaa's chip didn't get scored or she dropped again. Worrying sign if the latter
DrummerboyWolf
State has 42 points at 5K. Furman 61

State had 4 of the top 14 and Amaris was not one of them.
DrummerboyWolf
Tuohy wins the individual again.
DrummerboyWolf
Bush, Hartman, and Quarzo in the top 12.
DrummerboyWolf
Schulz finishes 25th.
Wolfer79
Thank you for updates and pictures
DrummerboyWolf
Pack with 40 points to win the regional. Still only showing 6 and not sure what happened with Amaris. Hopefully her chip stopped working.
jadawson
so Tyynismaa is obviously a downer and Henes is going to have to weigh if she thinks she can finish at nationals. Running 6 finishing runners is a big risk.

Positive signs from today: Sam Bush is pretty much back IMO. She just needs to start a bit more confidently. She just had one of the best closing K's in the field which has been her trademark for the past few years. Hartman was really solid again as was Quarzo. Throw in Chmiel and Stephens and that is 6 really capable runners.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.