2023 NC State Women's Cross Country 11/19 NCAA CHAMPS!

37,858 Views | 338 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by toddl
rmcwpups
How long do you want to ignore this user?
2nd
DrummerboyWolf
Parker Valby wins the individual with Katelyn Tuohy 12 seconds behind in 2nd and Kelcey Chmiel in 3rd.

Northern Arizona wins the team title with all 5 scorers being in the top 18. All 7 runners in the top 44. Team total of 52 which is pretty damn impressive. Wolfpack will finish 2nd with a team score of 95. I don't think Bush or Tynnismaa ran.

https://live.pttiming.com/xc-ptt.html?mid=5839
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
jadawson
Very Very impressed with both Parker Valby and NAU's team today. Can't really word it any other way than Valby dusted Tuohy today. I'm not saying im worried, Henes and Tuohy have peaked well for nationals historically. Just saying that today you have to give major props where its due.

And I'm not sure we beat NAU today even if we have Tyynismaa and Bush. Really shows the depth of the sport right now on the women's side. Both Tuohy and NC State will need to bring their A+ game at nationals to win.

For our team, Tuohy and Chmiel added up to less than 5 points as expected and 2 more really solid runs for Leah Stephens and Grace Hartman in their first race against so many of the top women in the country. Really impressed with Hannah Gapes improvement as well. 51st is not a result to sneeze at for her, it's just ideally not going to be our 5th scorer going forwards.

2nd Katelyn Tuohy 19:29
3rd Kelsey Chmiel 19:52
14th Leah Stephens 20:12
26th Grace Hartman 20:29
51st Hannah Gapes 20:44
91st Jenna Schulz 20:58
109th Gionna Quarzo 21:08
Wolfer79
DrummerboyWolf
I just noticed that Sam Bush ran but Did Not Finish. Hopefully she is not hurt.
jadawson
DrummerboyWolf said:

Im fairly certain she didn't run and they are just listing as DNF right now since she was on the entry list and they didn't see her chip cross the line. I'll have to rewatch the video but i thought i only saw 7 athletes on the start line for us.
DrummerboyWolf
jadawson said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Im fairly certain she didn't run and they are just listing as DNF right now since she was on the entry list and they didn't see her chip cross the line. I'll have to rewatch the video but i thought i only saw 7 athletes on the start line for us.
I was just going by the results listed. Hopefully you are right.
GuerrillaPack
Gonna need either a healthy and near top form Tyynismaa or Bush in order to compete with NAU at nationals. If we have just one of those two at top form, it will be a close battle that could go either way for the title. If both are at top form, then I'd say we're slight favorites.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
jadawson
GuerrillaPack said:

Gonna need either a healthy and near top form Tyynismaa or Bush in order to compete with NAU at nationals. If we have just one of those two at top form, it will be a close battle that could go either way for the title. If both are at top form, then I'd say we're slight favorites.
Pretty fair. If one of the 2 finished 13th in this field (right at the back of a natural gap between groups) that takes off our 50th place finish and displaces 3 of their scorers back and makes it a 55-59 score in favor of NAU (Hartman gets bumped back as well). So at that point we would just need the other one to be better than 22nd to take the win.

But there's only 6 weeks to get those women to that fitness level so fingers crossed.

Mike Smith of NAU is the only coach in the country who i'd put in the same category as Laurie Henes. He's had the mens program dominating that scene for almost a decade now. Now he's getting talent on the women's side and you see what he can do with them. Gonna be a battle in November.
jadawson

Womens race already on youtube. Bad quality due to weather. Also dont see Bush on the start line so i do think she was a DNS instead of a DNF.
mddocisa
COrockclimber on Packpride said "Bush was a DNF and did not make it 2kms. Maybe the cold wet course was a bit too much for whatever is ailing her."
GuerrillaPack
mddocisa said:

COrockclimber on Packpride said "Bush was a DNF and did not make it 2kms. Maybe the cold wet course was a bit too much for whatever is ailing her."

At around 3:13 in video of race above, I don't see Bush on the start line.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Wolfer79
jadawson
A few NC State athletes went over to Greenville this morning to run at the ECU invitational. The team has used this meet regularly the last few years as a low-cost way to let some athletes that are not a part of the travel squad at the moment and some redshirting athletes race. For the women the following athletes participated (the freshman look good for their first ever 6k):

2nd. Jolena Quarzo 20:58.9 (unattached)
4th. Kate Putman 21:21.0 (unattached)
7th. Angelina Napoleon 21:40.9 (unattached)
8th. Caroline Murrell 21:44.8
Wolfer79
jadawson
Coach Henes had a chat with Chancellor Woodson

https://news.ncsu.edu/2023/10/red-chair-chats-chancellor-woodson-and-coach-laurie-henes/

Wolfer79
jadawson said:

Coach Henes had a chat with Chancellor Woodson

https://news.ncsu.edu/2023/10/red-chair-chats-chancellor-woodson-and-coach-laurie-henes/

Thank you
Just saw this and was going to post
GuerrillaPack
I've been checking periodically, and just noticed this morning that tickets are now available for purchase for the NCAA D1 Cross Country National Championships to be held in Charlottesville, Virginia on November 18th.

You will probably want to act very soon (today or ASAP), because it says that they expect these to sell out. I just purchased my two tickets 5 minutes ago.

For the link to the Virginia site to purchase, click the link at "D1 Cross Country" here (at 2nd row from top):

https://www.ncaatickets.com/championships

As it explains at the Virginia site, tickets are only available online at this link and cannot be purchased at the race site the day of the event. Tickets are $20, and that includes the cost to park at a shopping mall and then be able to use the shuttle to and from the race site.

FYI, the first race starts at 10:00 am, so if driving from the central North Carolina area that morning, you would need to leave around 6:00 am (or earlier), since it's about a 3 to 3.5 hour drive. I'll probably leave at around 5:00 am, to plan to get to the course around 9:00am. It's a beautiful drive up highway 29 through Lynchburg, which is the route I took when driving to the ACC Championships at this course last October.

Also, if anyone has an account on PackPride (I do not) or posts on other NC State message boards/communities, please spread the word ASAP. I only post here on IPS. Would be nice to have a decent contingent of NC State fans in attendance. I plan to bring my red 3'x5' Tuffy logo flag to the race, so if you are there you will probably see me (or on TV).
toddl
Staff
I won't be able to make it all the way up to Virginia for the national championship, but regionals is in Spartanburg SC on Nov 10 (USC Upstate's course on the Milliken campus). 30 minute drive for me, so I'll definitely be there. Regionals is the most boring of the races for the season, though. No glory for winning - survive and advance is the only objective.
mddocisa
Guerilla,

I just posted your info on PackPride courtesy of you. Thanks for the info.
GuerrillaPack
mddocisa said:

Guerilla,

Thanks.

And for those that don't know, it should be mentioned that this may be a near once in a decade(s) type chance to have the cross country championships this close (easy driving distance) to the Raleigh area. In the ~40 years of this event, the closest it's been is Tallahassee (2 years ago), Virginia in 1987, and at Furman (Greenville SC) in 1997 and 2001. Every other time it's been super far away, usually in Indiana or somewhere else in the middle of the country.
toddl
Staff
GuerrillaPack said:

mddocisa said:

Guerilla,

Thanks.

And for those that don't know, it should be mentioned that this may be a near once in a decade(s) type chance to have the cross country championships this close (easy driving distance) to the Raleigh area. In the ~40 years of this event, the closest it's been is Tallahassee (2 years ago), Virginia in 1987, and at Furman (Greenville SC) in 1997 and 2001. Every other time it's been super far away, usually in Indiana or somewhere else in the middle of the country.
Not to mention that Charlottesville should have decent weather. I went to nationals in Ames Iowa in 2002 (I think) and it was like -15 wind chill. Middle of November for an outdoor sport in some of these locations is awful, even when you're able to make the trip.
jadawson
entries for the ACC Championships in Tallahassee are out. The 10 running for the Women's team are

Samantha Bush
Kelsey Chmiel
Hannah Gapes
Grace Hartman
Mariah Howlett
Gionna Quarzo
Jenna Schulz
Leah Stephens
Katelyn Tuohy
Amaris Tyynismaa

Women's race scheduled to start at 9:30 AM ET

https://www.flashresults.com/2024_Meets/xc/ACC/index.htm
Wolfer79
Atlantic Coast Conference Cross Country Championships, Apalachee Regional Park, Tallahassee, FL
Men's 8K Championship and Women's 6K Championship ACC Network, 8:30 a.m.
jadawson
Women win 8th straight ACC title. Katelyn Tuohy with the win
DecaturWolf
Wolfpack Women's XC have won more ACC championships in any sport from any school, except for Wolfpack men's swimming. 2 consistently elite Pack programs.
Posted for years as ColoradoWolf and Rick from Littleton. On Twitter as @espwapoujacmel
jadawson
1. Katelyn Tuohy 19:22
3. Kelsey Chmiel 19:36
8. Leah Stephens 20:01
11. Samantha Bush 20:11
14. Gionna Quarzo 20:19
19. Grace Hartman 20:21
26. Hannah Gapes 20:35
27. Mariah Howlett 20:40
28. Jenna Shulz 20:42

Amaris Tyynismaa was in 15th running with Quarzo at the 5k split and DNF'd
jadawson
Good to see Bush finish well and good to see Tyynismaa at least toe the line and get through 5k well. As this finish stands i dont think this team beats Northern Arizona's A game at nationals. But theres still 1 month to go and Bush is getting stronger as today shows and Tyynismaa is close. Really solid run by Quarzo today as well to bounce back from a tough on at Nuttycombe. She can be the Rauber role this year to hold down the fort if Tyynismaa fades at nationals.
GuerrillaPack
jadawson said:

Good to see Bush finish well and good to see Tyynismaa at least toe the line and get through 5k well. As this finish stands i dont think this team beats Northern Arizona's A game at nationals. But theres still 1 month to go and Bush is getting stronger as today shows and Tyynismaa is close. Really solid run by Quarzo today as well to bounce back from a tough on at Nuttycombe. She can be the Rauber role this year to hold down the fort if Tyynismaa fades at nationals.
Only 3 weeks. I sure hope Tyynismaa can get back to near top form, or I think you're right and we finish 2nd to NAU. Bush is still a little ways to go to get to her form from last year. With the level she was at today, she probably scores around 30-40 points at nationals.

Would be a real bummer if they were to finish 2nd at nationals, with as stacked as this team is. I'm making the drive up to Charlottesville to see the race regardless, even if (hypothetically) we would appear to be the 2nd best team -- as this is a once in a decade chance to have the NCAA Championships this close to NC and within easy driving distance.
DrummerboyWolf
Congrats to the ladies winning the ACC Championship again. Hopefully Amaris is close to being back and just did not want to push it too much today. NAU is definitely going to be tough to beat, but it's still a few weeks away and things change. We are still going to have a good showing at Nationals and hopefully that ends with a 3rd straight National Title.
Wolfer79
jadawson
Parker Valby is going to be very tough for Tuohy to beat this year. She looks unreal. Won SEC's by 34 seconds after being tied around 3.7k.
Wolfer79
Wolfpack91
Dynasty level.
GuerrillaPack
Wolfpack91 said:

Dynasty level.
Most ACC titles of any women's program, now at 29 for women's XC. Only second to NC State men's swimming (32) for number of ACC titles of any sports program in the ACC. The current streak of 8 straight women's XC titles breaks their previous record of 7 straight from 1987-1993.

Quickly scanning the history of ACC titles in all sports (at link below), the NC State women's cross country program is the 3rd most dominant program in league history, winning 29 of 45 championships (64.4%), only behind Virginia women's rowing (22/23, 95.7%) and Duke women's golf (22/34, 64.7%). And more dominant than UNC women's field hockey (25/40, 62.5%) and UNC women's soccer (22/38, 57.9%).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atlantic_Coast_Conference_champions

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.