Softball fall 2018 and spring 2019 (31-27, 9-15) season over

32,968 Views | 251 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wolfer79
ScoobyWolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wolfer79 said:

this is a great interview
RunsWithWolves26
Really interested to see how Kelli Wagner does. Had the chance to watch her several times starting as a sophomore in HS. Girl can flat out sling a softball behind the plate and can knock the over off the ball at the plate. Humble kid who was commited for a long time. Threw her batting practice one time and was afraid for the net in front of me.
PackFansXL
I'll be interested in watching how things go with our new coach, Patrick-Swift. She had so much turnover including some who left after briefly being on campus. I hope everything works well here, but these events were cause for concern. Let's go Ladies!
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
ScoobyWolf
I noticed that Catcher Haylee Kobziak is no longer on the GoPack roster. This seems to be a recent development. She was in the team picture from earlier in the week.

Freshman Kelli Wagner is the only catcher listed on the roster
ScoobyWolf
NC State softball looks to have a home run season
ScoobyWolf
Wolfer79
USF Opening Weekend Invitational Schedule
Feb. 8 NC State vs. Michigan 10 a.m.
Feb. 8 Illinois State vs. NC State 12:15 p.m.
Feb. 9 NC State vs. South Florida 8:15 p.m.
Feb. 10 Arizona vs. NC State 11:15 a.m.
Feb. 10 NC State vs. Florida 1:30 p.m.

*Only live stats will be available this weekend

Scouting The Competition
-Three opponents are ranked in the preseason top 25 (#5 Florida, #7 Arizona and #19 Michigan), while South Florida is receiving votes for the national poll.
-Four of the five opponents earned a spot in the 2018 NCAA Tournament, as Arizona advanced to a Super Regional and Florida reached the Women's College World Series.
-NC State has faced each team at least twice before this weekend.
-Each squad returns its top hitter and pitcher from 2018.
-Florida's Kelly Barnhill and Amanda Lorenz, as well as Michigan's Meghan Beaubien and Faith Canfield, earned NFCA All-America honors last year. Arizona's top offensive player, Alyssa Palomino, also garnered the accolade in 2018.
-Florida and South Florida were both picked as the preseason favorite in their respective conferences, while Arizona and Illinois State were predicted to finish in the top five of theirs.
-Additionally, Florida's Barnhill and Lorenz and Illinois State's Andrea Coursey tabbed preseason all-conference honors from their respective leagues.
-Arizona (4), Florida (3) Michigan (1) had a combined eight players named to the 2019 USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year Watch List.

GoPack link
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
rmcwpups
Just judging from the live updates, it appears that we may have pitching issues. Lots of walks, hit by pitches and wild pitches.
Wolfer79
The NC State softball team (2-1) captured its second win of the season on Saturday evening at the USF Opening Weekend Invitational in Tampa, Fla. The Wolfpack topped host South Florida (1-3), who is currently receiving votes for the national polls, 2-1, as Randi Farricker's two-run homer in the fifth was the deciding factor of the game.

On Deck

NC State will wrap up competition Sunday at the USF Opening Weekend Invitational. The squad will face No. 7 Arizona at 11:15 a.m. and No. 5 Florida at 1:30 p.m.

GoPack link
Wolfer79
PackFansXL
Wow! We beat a highly ranked team in Softball?
Congrats Coach and ladies!!
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
PackFansXL
I'm impressed with the team's performance this weekend. With all our departures and last year's underwhelming pitching, I expected this to be a complete rebuild. I hope they are much improved over last season and the winning ways build and gain momentum.
ScoobyWolf
Solid weekend for the ladies. Our two losses were both by just 1 run. We played some top competition too.
ScoobyWolf
WINNER: North Carolina State

After an offseason coaching change, the Wolfpack began their season with a tough slate five games that saw them facing off against, among others, Florida; Arizona; Michigan; and South Florida. The Wolfpack responded by emerging from the tournament with a 3-2 record; victories over 7th-ranked Arizona and South Florida; and a walk-off loss to Florida. The Wolfpack showed out so well during the first week of the Jennifer Patrick-Swift era, they may even earn some Top 25 votes for their efforts.

WINNERS AND LOSERS FROM OPENING WEEK
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79

dj5377
Very impressive weekend against our hardest opening weekend in school history. Honestly, breaking in a new staff, I was expecting 1-4, hoping for 2-3, knowing that 0-5 was possible.

To go 3-2, with a win over #7 Arizona, and only one run losses to #19 Michigan, and #5 Florida (who both moved up in the polls this week) is incredible.

The week before this tournament, I listened to a short interview on twitter by the coach talking about wanting to compete, and making sure we make the ACC tournament (top 8) and then anything could happen. Taking that into consideration, and knowing that we were in transition, my goals for this season was really just to have a winning record and get back on track.

Suddenly, based on this opening performance, getting back to the NCAA tournament is definitely on the radar. We need to follow it up with a solid weekend against Nebraska and Wisconsin.
Nebraska finished 31-23, RPI 45, just missing the NCAA tournament last year. Wisconsin finished 28-21 (then 29-23 after NCAA) making the NCAA tournament and going 1-2. Their RPI finished at 52. Both of these teams look like they could be top 50 wins. It's so early, so hard to know what we "need", but if I had to guess 2-2 should keep us on track for the NCAA. Anything above that will continue to impress, and probably keep us in or close to the national top 25. 1-3 or 0-4 would be a bit of a come back to earth moment, and a sign that we still need to build.

Hopefully we can keep playing like we did in Tampa, and if so we can have a successful weekend.

Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.