Softball fall 2018 and spring 2019 (31-27, 9-15) season over

32,974 Views | 251 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wolfer79
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
The NC State softball team (3-5) suffered a 6-0 loss to Nebraska (6-2) on Saturday evening in the ACC/B1G Challenge at Dail Stadium. Despite putting runners at first and second on multiple occasions in the contest, the Wolfpack was unable to bring a run across for its first shutout of the season.

On Deck
NC State will wrap up competition Sunday in the ACC/B1G Challenge when it faces Wisconsin at 12:30 p.m. at Dail Stadium. The game will be broadcast on the ACC Network Extra.

https://gopack.com/news/2019/2/16/softball-suffers-setback-against-nebraska-in-acc-b1g-challenge.aspx
Wolfer79
catching up on softball uniforms this season, latest first

Wolfer79
Wolfer79
ScoobyWolf
Rough weekend
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
dj5377
Certainly was a come back to earth weekend for the Pack. I expected it to be a rebuilding year, and that first weekend sort of raised expectations more than expected. There's not much sugar-coating 0-4 against presumed bubble teams at home, when it felt like the opponents controlled the action. Part of the excitement of the first weekend was not just the 3 wins, but only losing by 1 run in the two losses. This weekend, we lost by 2, 3, 5, and 6 runs in the four games. Both Nebraska games were essentially blowouts. So visions of being top 25 can be put to rest, but being top 75 and making the ACC tournament is certainly attainable, and a 3-6 start against this schedule does not eliminate you from NCAA contention, but it puts us on the outside of the bubble at the moment.

If you do want to sugarcoat it a bit, Pitt was #2 in the ACC last year, and we picked #4 out of 12 this year. (for reference, NCSU was picked #11 of 12). Pitt played these same teams on the same field (it was the ACC/Big10 challenge), and Pitt went 0-4 with scores of 8-0, 14-1, 8-0, 16-2. So maybe (hopefully) Nebraska and Wisconsin are better than we know. Wisconsin is 8-1. Of the 8 wins, 6 of them were by 8+ runs. Only the two wins against NC State were by less, and they only beat us by 2 and 3. Nebraska is 7-2. Nebraska and Wisconsin's only losses are to Texas Tech who is 10-0 and ranked. Nebraska and Wisconsin are a combined 15-0 against teams not named Texas Tech. So there is the sugarcoating for you. We may look back on the season and see that these two teams were just really good.

Now pushing forward, this weekend, the schedule lets up in competition level, UMBC twice (#266 last year, 0-1 this year), Murray State twice (#210 last year 4-6, but competitive against good competition this year), and Georgia Southern once (#85 last year, 9-4, but weak competition this year).

At home, this is where we really need to see the hitting start to improve and find it's stride. A NCAA tournament team would go 5-0 against that slate. A top 75 team, would be looking more at a 3-2 or 4-1 weekend. Going 2-3 or worse would indicate that we definitely have a true rebuild on our hands. Hopefully, opening with UMBC can get the bats going and get some confidence back. For what it's worth, I'm predicting a 4-1 weekend.

Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
ScoobyWolf
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Real Estate Brant
Wolfpack win 10-1 over the racers in 5 innings and move to 6-6 on the year.
Wolfer79
dj5377
A nice 3-0 weekend to get our confidence back a little. Had to struggle a little with UMBC (who going in I thought was the worst team in the tournament), but then dominated Murray State twice, who came in at 4-6, but had played tough competition.

Overall we are 6-6. Wisconsin (13-1) and Florida (18-0) continue to dominate. Our best win is Arizona who is ranked #12. Nebraska is 8-5, but 4 of those losses are to ranked teams. So our RPI would probably be pretty decent at this point. I would guess an NCAA resume against our schedule would be 8-4 or 7-5, so we aren't that far off the pace.

I'm most pleased that the bats seemed to wake up against Murray State. I obviously hope that continues. This week we have at Charlotte, Kansas, Campbell twice, and Charleston Southern. We are two games in the hole due to rain purposes, so no idea if we make any effort to re-schedule anyone to make that back up. A quick look at the teams this week.

Charlotte - 5-6. Blown out by 2 ranked opponents, but handled Elon, Campbell, Youngstown. Tough to get a read on them based on schedule. Last years RPI finished 161 (18-32). Have to say that's a "probably should win" game.

Kansas - 3-10 - Have played a ton of ranked teams, but blown out by Oregon, Stanford, Arizona State, and Tennessee. Beaten by Utah, Missouri (Twice), Iowa, Louisville. Last year 27-25, with RPI of #112. I would probably put this in "favored to win" category, but expect a battle.

Campbell - 4-10 against a mixture of good and bad teams. Last year 29-27, RPI of 147. I'd put both of these in the "probably should win" category.

Charleston Southern - 5-12 - Lost 8 of 9 including being shut out 5 times. Last year 26-30, RPI of 161. Another "probably should win" game.

So it's a five game week against teams that I think we are favored to beat. An NCAA tournament teams goes 5-0 against that group, but that's a tall ask for a young team finding it's legs. If we do go 5-0, and push our record to 11-6, then we really can start thinking again about the NCAA tournament. I still don't have a good feel for how good we are, and for some reason I'm seeing a 3-2 week in our future. But I'm hoping that excel and we see 4-1 or better. One game at a time though. If we can get that road game Wednesday, we just might get on a roll and take them all.
PackFansXL
I really enjoy your analysis, dj. Thanks for the thorough review!
Wolfer79
Wolfer79 said:

catching up on softball uniforms this season, latest first

Wolfer79
dj5377
PackFansXL said:

I really enjoy your analysis, dj. Thanks for the thorough review!
Thanks. I'm always glad to do it. It helps me keep track for some of the non-revenue sports, and I figured that I would share it in case anyone was interested.

Also, quite a nice win yesterday at Charlotte. I hoped to win, but didn't expect to dominate like that. It bodes well for the weekend. We have Campbell twice, and Charlotte beat Campbell 10-4 already this season.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
rmcwpups
That's only fair. Kansas scored 4 in the 7th because our pitcher couldn't hold on to the ball, which was due to the rain. Kansas didn't have to pitch in the rain.
PackFansXL
rmcwpups said:

That's only fair. Kansas scored 4 in the 7th because our pitcher couldn't hold on to the ball, which was due to the rain. Kansas didn't have to pitch in the rain.
Ahh, I was wondering how that worked out so nicely for us. Cool!
ScoobyWolf
wow. what a break.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.