IPS Golf course discussion

3,840 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Lagniappe
Real Estate Brant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I just played UNC's golf course, Finley for the first time and I came away unimpressed. Sure the conditions are nice just like any golf course, but I found the layout to be bland. The course was very flat and overall pretty easy. Would I play there again, sure, it is a nice course but I much rather play Lonnie Poole. Lonnie's rolling terrain and sites of Downtown are beautiful. I walked the NCAA regional this year and asked different golfers how LP compared to other college courses they have played. Everyone Said it was very nice. I haven't played Duke yet, but the consensus is that one is the nicest of all three.

Here is a list of my 15 favorite PUBLIC golf courses in the general Raleigh area. Call it within an hour from State in any direction.

1. Lonnie Poole
2. River Ridge
3. Finley
4. Eagle Ridge
5. River Wood
6. Carolina Trace
7. The Neuse
8. Pine Hollow
9. Chapel Ridge
10. The Preserve
11. Keith Hills
12. Reedy Creek
13. Wildwood Green
14. Lochmere
15. The Crossing

I have not played Heriatge, Tobbaco Road or the Duke Golf course

How does my list compare to what you guys like?

redculler
I would put a lot of the courses in Southern Pines in my top ten if 1 hour from State is the parameters. Stoney Creek is also within an hour so I would put it there too.
gtman49
No RGA? Blasphemy.

I would tend to agree with that list - LP is by far my favorite course around here, only quirk is that $85 price tag on the weekends.
Former Tayap
metcalfmafia
You're missing Knights Play.
Real Estate Brant
gtman49 said:

No RGA? Blasphemy.

I would tend to agree with that list - LP is by far my favorite course around here, only quirk is that $85 price tag on the weekends.

Haha RGA is somewhere in the Wilmar Brevofield category.. I'm not hating I've played a ton of RGA

I'm in a Monday night league at Lonnie Poole. $25 for nine holes after 4:30.
Real Estate Brant
redculler said:

I would put a lot of the courses in Southern Pines in my top ten if 1 hour from State is the parameters. Stoney Creek is also within an hour so I would put it there too.
Ive never played any of these. Looks like Stoney Creek is going on the list. Care to share your favorites in Southern Pines?
Real Estate Brant
metcalfmafia said:

You're missing Knights Play.
I live 7 minutes from Knights play and love it. Great place to practice and walk 9 for a very reasonable price. They also have a surprising solid food.
Lagniappe
You've really missed out unless you have played GCC.
Real Estate Brant
What is GCC?
Packdub
Keith Hills is not what it used to be. It's better. With the champion bermuda, it is easily one of the top 5 public courses in the state. PS - ask TD21Pack about Stoney Creek. He has been a member for years. They are getting new bermuda this summer as well.
Real Estate Brant
I've played Keith Hills twice this season and it's fun a fun course. Top 5 public is quite a stretch.
Packdub
Played MacGregor Downs last Wednesday, and the work they have done there is impressive. Champion Bermuda greens are still a litte firm (2 y/o), but the golf course was in pristine condition. One of the better renovations I have seen in a while.
Run4Fun
Here's my top 6.

Lonnie Poole
Tobacco Road
The Neuse
Chapel Ridge
Duke
McGreggor

Tobacco Road has always been a bucket list item for me for 32 years. I had the opportunity to play it at a charity event and wow that course is immaculate, difficult and yet fun. I would love to play it again. It just wowed me.
TheStorm
Run4Fun said:

Here's my top 6.

Lonnie Poole
Tobacco Road
The Neuse
Chapel Ridge
Duke
McGreggor

Tobacco Road has always been a bucket list item for me for 32 years. I had the opportunity to play it at a charity event and wow that course is immaculate, difficult and yet fun. I would love to play it again. It just wowed me.
I think I played Tobacco Road right after it opened and that was right before the first US Open at Pinehurst in 1999. It either opened in 1998 or 1999.
SportManagementEngineer
Live in Miami now, but I used to play the Washington Duke for free through work, so I'd take clients there a bunch. Always liked it, nothing spectacular, though.

Was up in Baltimore for the Ed Reed Golf Tournament this past weekend. Tournament was at Mountain Branch Golf Club. Beautiful setting, average course. Also played the Timbers at Troy the day before the tournament. Again, great setting, average course. Lot of wildlife, had to wait for deer to clear the fairway at one point.

Been a few years since I played in Raleigh, besides playing Knight's Play the morning of my wedding to get a few swings in. Always loved that place.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
Real Estate Brant
Is Macgregor semi private or something? I thought It was private?
Lagniappe
JerseyWolfpack said:

What is GCC?
Garner Country Club, the nine hole monster!!!

Real Estate Brant
Lol I've always wanted to play Garner CC, I live pretty close to it. Is it semi decent?
Lagniappe
JerseyWolfpack said:

Lol I've always wanted to play Garner CC, I live pretty close to it. Is it semi decent?
It's actually not very good. A lot of crazy holes, but I enjoyed many days there in my youth. We (Garner) actually hosted a conference high school golf match there many moons ago and the course had NO golf balls for sale. This was over 40 years ago. Our coach went to his car to get golf balls for those that needed them
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.