Women's basketball recruiting

31,632 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Lobohowl
89_Grad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
braz213 said:

Who is off the board that went to UNX?
Anya Poole from SE Raleigh. THey've also signed a 5-star McD A-A out of Texas
FontanaRob
Timmons is a great pickup as combo guard in Wes' system. Speedy and can shoot.

Sucks we lost out on Rivers and Hall, with both committing to SCar. Was really hoping to land Rivers with Hall as a backup plan.

Now the attention turns to Aziaha James, another highly rated guard/wing who is rumored to be committing this weekend. She is from the Tidewater area and is AAU friends with Timmons. According to https://wbbblog.com/aziaha-james/ we are in her top 5 along with AZ, FL, Pitt and Miss St. The Bulldogs concern me due to some previous connections with her HS teammates.
Lobohowl
At first I was hoping the Rivers to USC rumors were just that, rumors. I no longer have any doubt that she did commit. More than likely, she wants to hold a public announcement, which is not possible just yet. Same goes for Hall. It's an unusual year, to say the least. I think we have a really good shot at James, though I haven't seen where we are the clear leader. Just a feeling on my part. Key, from nearby in Cary, is a strong possibility as well. I don't think anyone has a good read on her just yet. And I think it will be awhile before she decides.
89_Grad
Lobohowl said:

At first I was hoping the Rivers to USC rumors were just that, rumors. I no longer have any doubt that she did commit. More than likely, she wants to hold a public announcement, which is not possible just yet. Same goes for Hall. It's an unusual year, to say the least. I think we have a really good shot at James, though I haven't seen where we are the clear leader. Just a feeling on my part. Key, from nearby in Cary, is a strong possibility as well. I don't think anyone has a good read on her just yet. And I think it will be awhile before she decides.
Dawn Staley tormented Kay Yow's teams as a player (IIRC, those nationallly prominent UVa teams of the late 80s/early 90s were the first ACC program to really eclipse what Kay had built, UNC's fluke national championship notwithstanding), and now she's sticking it to Wes on the recruiting trail.

We really need to schedule them. It would probably be a complete ass-whupping the first couple of years, but I think our program could use it as a nice measuring stick.

ETA: I went and looked it up. "tormented" is probably too strong a word. Staley and UVa beat us in the championship game in 1990, her sophomore year when we were the No. 1 seed (that was the year of the epic 123-120 home loss to them), but they were upset as the No. 1 seed the next year, when Yow won her (and our, until this year) final ACC championship over 4th seeded Clemson. We lost in the first round of the ACC tourney her senior year, when they won as the No., 1 seed.
Lobohowl
I was at several of those games. I didn't like Staley as a player. She was extremely cocky. But I really couldn't stand Tammy Reiss. She stabbed us in the heart more than a couple of times.
Lobohowl
Rivers is official to the Gamecocks. Waiting on James' announcement at 6:30 this evening. Fingers crossed! If I had to call it right now, it would be the Pack. Would be a huge pickup. She is a legit McD. All American candidate.
mdreid
go here for Womens BB info

https://insidepacksports.com/forums/2/topics/6938
Lobohowl
James is in the fold! Number 21 player in the 21 class. Monumental pickup! Back court is now loaded for years to come.
89_Grad
Huge get. how many slots do we have left for 2021 class? I wouldn't take anyone else unless I think they were an All-ACC caliber player. No need anymore to take players who have no realistic chance of contributing at a P5 level, unless you think they are a glue player or have other nonathletic intangible benefits for team.
Lobohowl
I expect 2 more in this class. Coach Moore seems to generally use all his available roster spots each year. There are still a few excellent prospects for which we are in play. Only caveat is if they will both be freshman. The grad transfer market has shown some success lately with Leslie and now a seemingly excellent addition in Perez.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Lobohowl
I haven't been on the boards in a good while to talk recruiting. The main reason being COVID has really slowed down the whole process with extended dead periods and such. So there's not much to talk about. A couple of players are currently listing us. Cammie McKinney a PG from TX. And Tyana Todd. 6-0 guard from Canada. Hoping for a big year on the trail with the great success the team has been having.
89_Grad
Lobohowl said:

I haven't been on the boards in a good while to talk recruiting. The main reason being COVID has really slowed down the whole process with extended dead periods and such. So there's not much to talk about. A couple of players are currently listing us. Cammie McKinney a PG from TX. And Tyana Todd. 6-0 guard from Canada. Hoping for a big year on the trail with the great success the team has been having.
Lobo, what is our connection in Texas? Seems like we've been on the list for a lot of top Texas players lately (although I don't think we've sealed the deal yet with any of them).
Lobohowl
89_Grad To my knowledge, you are correct that Wes has yet to land a player from Texas since he has been State's coach. Pretty much every year it seems we recruit someone from there. Honestly, I can't find any connection to Texas in relation to our current staff. There is a good talent pool in Texas. I recall, a few years ago, we beat Texas in a tournament, I think in California or Hawaii, and coach Moore mentioned he hoped winning that game opened the door to kids from Texas. Maybe it's nothing more than that?
grandpack1
I think when you win the ACC then are a consensus top 5 team in America, you can take the oportunity to open doors to a lot of areas in the country.
Wolfer79
Big congratulations to Jessica Timmons for being named the NCBCA District 9 PLAYER OF THE YEAR

#indyhoops #GoPack

mdreid
Wolfer79 said:

Big congratulations to Jessica Timmons for being named the NCBCA District 9 PLAYER OF THE YEAR

#indyhoops #GoPack

Lobohowl
What a crazy start to the off-season! 4 players out the door to the transfer portal. Putting their names in the portal are Jada Rice, Ellie Sutphin, Rebecca Demeke, and Devonta Waggoner. There are two players who are pretty much a done deal to be coming in via the portal as well. Madison Hayes from Mississippi State and Diamond Johnson from Rutgers. Interestingly enough, we were finalists for both of them out of high school. Madison Hayes was the top player on our board her senior year and I thought we were the next thing to a lock. Both were 5 stars. There is another player who I am hearing is a strong possibility to join them in Raleigh. If she comes, we will be Uber-stocked. And, I believe will leave us with 2 spots for this recruiting cycle.
89_Grad
Lobohowl said:

What a crazy start to the off-season! 4 players out the door to the transfer portal. Putting their names in the portal are Jada Rice, Ellie Sutphin, Rebecca Demeke, and Devonta Waggoner. There are two players who are pretty much a done deal to be coming in via the portal as well. Madison Hayes from Mississippi State and Diamond Johnson from Rutgers. Interestingly enough, we were finalists for both of them out of high school. Madison Hayes was the top player on our board her senior year and I thought we were the next thing to a lock. Both were 5 stars. There is another player who I am hearing is a strong possibility to join them in Raleigh. If she comes, we will be Uber-stocked. And, I believe will leave us with 2 spots for this recruiting cycle.
How sure are you about Johnson? I've heard Hayes is in the bag, Diamond not so much. Poor Jada Rice. Unlike Sutphin, I didn't think Rice looked so bad on the rare occasion she came in, but she didn't seem to have any kind of outside shot, and in Wes' system, a big who can't shoot is going to be buried deep on the bench. As for Demeke and Waggoner, both were plan B type players who we took after we missed on higher ranked players. I don't expect either to tear it up at their next stop, and I'd be surprised if either ends up at a P5 school with a winning program.
89_Grad
mddocisa said:

I'm curious that you believe that Jada was recruited over as the last two classes do not have any scoring guards which is her position. She played AAU with Kendal Moore and the pair would have made State a very potent team when they are both on the floor since they know each other's game so well. With that said, Jada would probably not see much playing time next year with Ace ahead of her. I believe somehow the Peebles soured on NC State because Danny's son also transferred from State. When things clear up in a year or two, I would not be surprised to see jada transfer to State.
As an update on Peebles, she ended up at Illinois. The good news? She led Illinois in scoring this year and played 35 minutes a game. The bad news? Illinois went 2-16 in the Big 10, 5-18 overall, and lost by 25 points in the quarterfinals of the conference tourney. Good for her, she would have never gotten 35 minutes a game her. You are probably correct--the star player on bad teams is typically who you see getting a shot at a year or two in a much better program. But if it isn't us, hope it isn't some other ACC school...
Lobohowl
Honestly, what I've been hearing is Johnson is the next thing to a done deal and should announce in the next few days. But I wouldn't bet money on it or anything. This year is to wacko to do that. I've heard some say we have too many players at her position, so she won't want to compete with that, but I don't think she is someone who will be scared by competition. We shall see!
jwpack
If Johnson comes to state she would be the best guard on the team, she will play in the WNBA when she is eligible.
Lobohowl
Bam! There ya go! Diamond Johnson in the fold = top 5 preseason and definite final 4 talent.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.