Technician story on Alana Smith women's tennis

844 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Wolfer79
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Relentless positivity: How Alana Smith dealt with unexpected adversity as an athlete

Needless to say, when graduate student Alana Smith of the NC State women's tennis team was told she'd have to forgo her senior season in 2022 due to injury, she was shocked.

However, nearly a year and a half later, Smith's experience with adversity has become a part of her journey as an athlete, a part that she wouldn't take back no matter how tough it was.

However, it was a different story for Smith. While she had to persevere, she was forced to do it while cheering on her teammates from the sidelines and learning how to live without playing the sport she loves. While it wasn't easy, a determined mindset and a dedication to staying positive kept Smith afloat throughout the time that she was injured.

"So I feel like last year for me, I tried to stay positive," Smith said. "I don't think I was my normal self last year because I was down at certain times, but I think that by staying positive … now I'm getting to where I want to be."

Fast forward through many months of rehab, hard work and countless hours waiting until she could get back on the courts in her final season, Smith is back and better than ever.

Throughout the regular season, she looked like she didn't miss a beat, and added even more to her already impressive resume to secure her place as one of the best players in program history. Smith reached the 100-win mark in singles with her straight-sets win against Virginia Tech, on senior day, no less, making her the second player in program history with 100 singles and 100 doubles wins.

https://www.technicianonline.com/sports/relentless-positivity-how-alana-smith-dealt-with-unexpected-adversity-as-an-athlete/article_d0671358-de5c-11ed-aa42-8fe8945a564c.html
GuerrillaPack
I wonder what the 2021-22 team would have been capable of if Smith was healthy? They were ranked in the top 3 nationally for most of the year, only lost to both Duke and UNC by a score of 3-4, and made it to the elite 8 at NCAAs. If they would have had Smith in that line-up, IMO they would have had a real good chance of winning the team national title.

But maybe it's for the best to have her back for this season, to bolster this team's chances. Only problem is that UNC is much better this year than they were last year, and seems unbeatable.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Wolfer79
My hunch is NC State will one day win a team national title. When they do, it won't just be because of current players but also those who came before and built the platform for success. Smith and her teammates deserve credit for the past few years. What they've done is amazing.

Smitty out

Wolfer79
Generational player for @PackWTennis !!!
Highest team winning % during Alana's career and not even close. Top 10 throughout her 5 years, top 5 for the most part. 2019 NCAA Sweat 16, 2021 NCAA Final 4, 2022 NCAA Elite 8, 2023 ACC Champions & NCAA Finalist. 5 time ITA All American!

Wolfer79
The only program with 3 * Singles ITA All Americans & the most overall honors with 7 total!!

@lasmitty achieves AA honors in Doubles in all 4 years she competes!!

Diana is the 1st @PackWTennis freshman to achieve AA Singles status

& Millie takes her 1st S&D honors!!
#GoPack

Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.