Katelyn Tuohy sets college record in mile

2,067 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by PackFansXL
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Katelyn Tuohy takes down the collegiate record in the mile with a time of 4:24.26

#WolfpackTF

Nairo
Heard the announcer said she's "not a pretty runner." Good lord what an idiot.
Wolfer79
DrummerboyWolf
Congratulation Katelyn. You continue to do special things representing yourself, your teammates, and N. C. State. Thanks so much for bringing your tremendous talent to Raleigh!!

Keep it going young lady!!
Being an N. C. State Fan Builds Great Character
jadawson
Nairo said:

Benefit of the doubt maybe he meant her form, which is still pretty wrong. And someone that is paid to talk for a living should know how to word themselves better than that.
GuerrillaPack
jadawson said:

Nairo said:

Benefit of the doubt maybe he meant her form, which is still pretty wrong. And someone that is paid to talk for a living should know how to word themselves better than that.
I didn't see/hear the broadcast. But assuming he was talking about her running form, that would be absolutely preposterous. Tuohy has one of the most beautiful running motions/forms anyone has ever seen. She is like poetry in motion. Almost everyone who sees her run recognizes and talks about how beautiful her running form is.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
jadawson
GuerrillaPack said:

jadawson said:

Nairo said:

I didn't see/hear the broadcast. But assuming he was talking about her running form, that would be absolutely preposterous. Tuohy has one of the most beautiful running motions/forms anyone has ever seen. She is like poetry in motion. Almost everyone who sees her run recognizes and talks about how beautiful her running form is.
Dan O'Brien is the announcer. Legendary Decathlete, but sadly known to be a bit of an idiot as an announcer. He has no idea what good distance form is, 1500 is the only distance event in the olympic decathlon and it was probably his worst event out of the 10.
toddl
Staff
interviews:

jadawson
Absolutely wild that she says she hasn't done much speedwork yet and they just decided on a whim to stick in her in this meet after she did a good 1200 time trial. Just casually breaks the NCAA indoor record without training specifically for the event....

TheStorm
Just like that one off 1500 she ran last year at the ACC's... (hope I'm naming the correct meet?)
GuerrillaPack
Here's a video of the full race:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8hovwc
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
PackFansXL
Nairo said:

Perhaps Dan needs a couple of weeks off to think about his insensitive comments.
jadawson
Should be noted that Alicia Monson is a 14:31 5K runner. She is more of a strength based 5k/10k type than Tuohy who is more of a speed/turnover based 1500/5k type, but still noteworthy that Tuohy could hang with her. I dont think the 15:15 from December is very indicative of the shape she is in right now.
toddl
Staff
"I like Katelyn Tuohy, she's just a tough runner. Not the prettiest runner out there but when she decides to put her nose down you can see she just goes to another gear. Head kind of comes down. I'd love to see her drop those shoulders just a little bit. But really just a tough youngster - you can see that at the NCAA championships cross country this season - one big title already this season under her belt."

Her shoulders have always looked a little off to me as well. Manages to hunch her back while still lifting her shoulders. Just looks a little out of the ordinary.
jadawson
toddl said:

"I like Katelyn Tuohy, she's just a tough runner. Not the prettiest runner out there but when she decides to put her nose down you can see she just goes to another gear. Head kind of comes down. I'd love to see her drop those shoulders just a little bit. But really just a tough youngster - you can see that at the NCAA championships cross country this season - one big title already this season under her belt."

Her shoulders have always looked a little off to me as well. Manages to hunch her back while still lifting her shoulders. Just looks a little out of the ordinary.
In a world where Timothy Cheruiyot can run a 3:28.2 with his form, i have a hard time believing perfect form exists. Though i do like Jakob Ingebrigtsen's form. It does look a little like Katelyn's with the dropped shoulders you are suggesting.

toddl
Staff
If we really want to talk about ugly form, the two runners who beat her in the mile also beat her in looking weird while running. But if it works, it works.
PackFansXL

Quote:

With a mile being 1,609 meters, the race also gave Tuohy the women's national collegiate 1,500-meter mark at 4:06.49. The former mark was 4:09.77.
https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/2023/01/29/tuohy-breaks-indoor-college-womens-mile-mark-holt-2nd-in-mens-mile/69844941007/

The quote comes from the linked article. I am assuming her 1500 meter time is not official and would not count as a new record. Does the NCAA allow timing to count for two race standards in a single event?
TheStorm
toddl said:

If we really want to talk about ugly form, the two runners who beat her in the mile also beat her in looking weird while running. But if it works, it works.
Honestly, I think that this entire conversation about Tuohy's form is really more of the fact that it bothers these people that she's not as tall as most of the elite runners... just gives them something to talk about I guess.
PackFansXL
PackFansXL said:

Quote:

With a mile being 1,609 meters, the race also gave Tuohy the women's national collegiate 1,500-meter mark at 4:06.49. The former mark was 4:09.77.
https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/2023/01/29/tuohy-breaks-indoor-college-womens-mile-mark-holt-2nd-in-mens-mile/69844941007/

The quote comes from the linked article. I am assuming her 1500 meter time is not official and would not count as a new record. Does the NCAA allow timing to count for two race standards in a single event?
Todd or someone else know the answer to this question?
jadawson
PackFansXL said:

PackFansXL said:

Quote:

Todd or someone else know the answer to this question?
as far as i'm aware, the NCAA doesn't maintain an official record list for track and field.

The USTFCCCA (US Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches association) list does allow for the standard to be obtained en route to a longer event and Tuohy is listed as having both the Indoor 1500m and Mile records from that race.

https://www.ustfccca.org/records-lists/collegiate-all-time-bests?gender=2&sport=1&div=1&top=25&event=8
toddl
Staff
I always use the USTFCCCA list. If they count it, that's good enough for me.
PackFansXL
Thanks, jadawson and toddl for the response. Congrats to Katelyn for achieving new women's records in both the 1500m and 1 mile distances!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.