Maddy Zampardo has spent most of her junior tennis career on indoor courts in Michigan. But when it came time to select a college, the blue chip recruit from Grosse Pointe Farms was more comfortable heading South, eager to work with the coaching staff at North Carolina State.

"I knew from the beginning that I was interested in going down South," said the 17-year-old, who will sign her National Letter of Intent for fall of 2023 next month. "I've always lived in Michigan, but I love the warm weather, training outdoors. I was making sure I explored all my options and I really took my time with my recruiting process. The coaches at NC State were really patient; they waited for me to make a decision. Nowadays it's kind of a late commitment, but I still have a lot of time."

Zampardo, a finalist at the ITF JB1 Pan American Closed earlier this month, took only two official visits, to North Carolina and North Carolina State.

"When I went on my visit, I got kind of a feeling that I knew I wanted to go to NC State," Zampardo said. "I loved the coaches, I feel like they really focus on making their players better players, just improving them as much as they can, reaching their full potential. I had a good feeling about NC State. I just kind of knew, and I didn't want to visit anywhere else."

The rise of the North Carolina State program under head coach Simon Earnshaw has impressed Zampardo.

"Their progress is clearly evidence that he makes his players better, and that's what I want most out of college tennis: to get as good as I can," Zampardo said. "I feel comfortable that's how it's going to be when I go there."

With three older siblings who played, Zampardo couldn't avoid exposure to the sport.

"My mom would drag me to their tennis lessons, because I was the youngest," said Zampardo, who began playing at age 7. "I just picked up a racquet and started playing and I ended up loving it. My mom plays tennis too, adult recreational, the same with my dad, so we are a tennis family."

Zampardo didn't train exclusively with any particular coach during her junior development, but her mother Marilyn and older sister Melanie, now playing at Division II Hillsdale College, shaped her approach to the sport as she began taking it seriously a few years later.

"I played in junior programs, moved around, hit with random people," Zampardo said. "I'm happy if I'm improving, that's what is most important to me. My mom and my sister are big believers of that. My sister's always trying to improve, she's such a perfectionist, she always wants to be the best she can."

Zampardo is No. 8 in the USTA Girls 18s Rankings
Zoo Tennis
When Zampardo played her first USTA National tournament, she saw the role tennis could play in her future.

"I was 11 or 12 when I played my first national tournament and it was like a dream come true," said Zampardo, currently No. 8 in the USTA 18s rankings. "I thought it was the most amazing thing ever. I was like, 'oh my god, my life's accomplishment.' That was one of my goals for so long, to get into a national tournament, so it was very exciting, a big deal for me."

Zampardo has continued to have success on the USTA junior circuit, with two major doubles titles, the 2020 Orange Bowl 16s and the 2021 USTA 18s Clay Courts, among the highlights.

"Doubles is so much fun, doubles is great," said Zampardo, who partnered with Vivian Miller for those two championships. "I've had some of my most fun moments with doubles. I like poaching at the net, being aggressive, that game style."

Zampardo, who is six feet tall, is an intimidating presence at the net, as well as the owner of an impressive first serve.

"I have an aggressive style of game," said Zampardo. "I like serving, I like dictating the points, that's how I describe myself. I think everyone can always improve their footwork and speed. That's probably always going to be a thing that I just want to keep getting better and better at. I want to see what [the NC State coaches] have for me, what they see they want to improve, if they see a hole in my game."

Zampardo and Vivian Miller in 2020 Orange Bowl 16s Final
Robby Lanes/USTA
Zampardo attended University Liggett, a private school in Grosse Pointe Woods, from middle school through her junior year, but is finishing her high school education online this year.

"It makes more sense to be able to travel more," Zampardo said. "Before, I was missing school 50 percent of the time and it was pretty stressful. So now I just can take that stress off and school's more flexible."

Zampardo is interested in pursuing a pre-law curriculum, citing writing as one of her academic strengths.

"I'd say I'm an English person. I love writing, I love reading," Zampardo said. "Non-fiction, pre-law, going into the Constitution, picking things out of there."

When she is not reading, writing or playing tennis, Zampardo likes to cook and bake, and enjoys spending her free time with friends and family. Travel, one facet of tennis that is not always popular, is also on her list of leisure activities.

"I'm a fan of the South, because I love the beach. I don't get to do that much in Michigan," Zampardo said.

While the Atlantic Ocean may be a couple of hours away from Raleigh, the chance to achieve another tennis goal is the prime reason Zampardo chose North Carolina State.

"I would love eventually to play professional tennis, that's my long term dream," Zampardo said. "I have a good feeling about NC State and I'm really happy about my decision."

https://tennisrecruiting.net/article.asp?id=403885636