Story Poster
NC State Baseball

NC State Signee Tommy White: "I Want To Become An Impact Player"

July 15, 2021

IMG Academy (FL) infielder Tommy White has had a hectic few days.  A NC State signee, he was closely following the 2021 MLB draft to see if he’d be selected, potentially leaving a tough decision to make: sign a pro contract or suit up for the Wolfpack.

However, White had a plan in place which ultimately played a role in him not being picked in the draft.

“This week was hectic,” White said, laughing.  “I had some interest and stuff, but I wasn't going to sell myself short.  I wanted to go to college and try to earn more out of college.  My goal has been to go to NC State for the longest time, play for three years, and hopefully go to Omaha a couple of times.  That has been a goal of mine since I was a little kid, to play college baseball.

“So we set a certain financial number to go pro and the teams knew what it was.  I was going to be strict and stand by it, and it didn’t hit.  It was really an easy decision for me because I was going to stick by my number no matter what.”

Clearly White was talented enough to be selected high in the draft.  The 6-foot-1, 230-pounder is considered one of the best pure prep hitters in baseball.  Perfect Game had him rated the No. 18 overall prospect in the country and the No. 1 third base prep prospect.

"I've always had the ability to hit with natural strength,” he said.  “I believe my hands and my hand-eye coordination are my biggest strengths.  It's really helped me hit and hit the long ball.”

White spent his senior year at IMG Academy, but his college decision was made prior to that. What played a role in him picking NC State?

“Coach Hart recruited me hard," he said.  “I was looking into NC State, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, FAU, and Florida, but some schools wanted me to change some things in my game. NC State, Ole Miss, and Notre Dame were really the three schools who wanted me for how I play... the first ones. 

“NC State was that first school to do it my sophomore year, and my goal was to go to the first school that wanted me for me. I fell in love with the coaches and the school. I know I can thrive at NC State. I think if I waited it out I'd have had a lot more interest, but I knew where I wanted to go.”

A corner infielder, White has primarily played third base in high school but could also slide over to first base on the college level. Does he have a preference?

“NC State recruited me as a third baseman," he replied.  “There has been some talk about moving to first, but I want to stay at third because that's where I feel the most comfortable."

While NC State wasn't able to get star shortstop Khalil Watson on campus, securing White was huge for the program, and the draft process yielded some high-pressure talks during the week.

“The NC State coaches were there for me the whole time,” he said.  “They wanted what's best for me, but they also feel I can come in and help the program, too.  

“Now that it's behind me, the focus is competing.  There have been talks about early playing time, but I have to come in and earn my spot to try and play my freshman year.  I want to become an impact player and help the team as much as I can my first year."

Discussion from...

NC State Signee Tommy White: "I Want To Become An Impact Player"

13,774 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Skylitdrive
HappyHooker73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Huge get for Pack9. Welcome
ciscopack
must be a heavy bat?
RedPooch33
Heck yeah
Skylitdrive
Looking forward to watching him play over the next 3 years. It'll be interesting to see how the success of this year pays off over the next few years with recruiting. Exciting to be in the spotlight again!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.