NC State women's soccer spring 2021 (5-3-1, 0-0-0)

4,436 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Wolfer79
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The NC State women's soccer team has released its schedule for the 2021 spring season, as announced by head coach Tim Santoro on Tuesday.

The slate features eight matches, with five of them being contested at Dail Soccer Stadium or WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary, N.C. Due to the safety of our student-athletes, staff, and limited guests, general fans are currently unable to attend home events. Please visit GoPack.com for the latest updates.

"We're excited to play some games this spring since we haven't been on the field for a competitive game since last February," said Santoro. "This is an important step as we prepare for the fall and welcome in 12 new players to join our returning group. The small group we have this spring will get a lot of minutes and, if all goes as planned, should be very beneficial."

Due to a depleted roster as an indirect impact of COVID-19, the squad opted out of the 2020 fall season.

The Wolfpack begins its season with three consecutive home matches against Old Dominion (Feb. 7), UNCW (Feb. 13) and Campbell (Feb. 16). The match against UNCW will take place at WakeMed Soccer Park while the other two will be contested at Dail Soccer Stadium.

The team will then hit the road for a pair of matches, as the Pack travels to VCU Feb. 28 then meets Appalachian State March 13 at BB&T Complex in Winston-Salem, N.C. for a neutral site contest.

NC State's wraps up its schedule with nonconference matches against Wake Forest (March 20), North Carolina (March 26) and Boston College (April 17). The Wake Forest and Boston College contests will be held at Dail Soccer Stadium and WakeMed Soccer Park, in respective order, while the North Carolina match will be played in Chapel Hill, N.C.

Broadcast information will be available at a later date. Check GoPack.com for updates.
Wolfer79
.@PackWSoccer will kick off its eight-game spring season when it faces off against Old Dominion on Feb. 7.

The Pack was forced to opt out of the fall season due to roster limitations.
@nick_schnittker
https://t.co/qVhFT3ZJCP
Wolfer79
ACC Spring Sports

Women's Soccer
The conference played an eight-game league schedule in the fall and will not play any league matches in the spring.
Teams are permitted to play non-conference matches.
Florida State, the winner of the 2020 ACC Championship, is the conference's automatic qualifier for the NCAA Tournament. The NCAA College Cup is scheduled for May 13-17 at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary, North Carolina
Wolfer79
Wolfer79

Pack Perspective Lulu Guttenberger

*Editor's Note: Due to a depleted roster as an indirect impact of COVID-19, NC State women's soccer opted out of the 2020 season. Captain Lulu Guttenberger was one of the international members of the team who ultimately was unable to return to Raleigh in the fall amidst the pandemic. The following is a piece written by Guttenberger on her perspective and journey over the past 10 months.

When I left the United States in mid-March of 2020 after (NC State's) campus shut down, I obviously had no idea that I would be leaving my teammates, coaches and friends for 10 months. Looking back at it now, it was definitely the right decision to go home and spend these unprecedented times with my family.

It was the first time since moving out from home six years ago that I have had the chance to spend as much time with my family as I did from March until January, and I wouldn't want to change that for anything. It was a time to take a step back, slow down and figure out who I am outside of soccer. I never thought I'd graduate from NC State while being in Germany, but I am grateful that I was given the opportunity to finish my studies with the support from my NC State family.

The decision to stay home and not return for the fall season was probably one of the hardest I have ever had to make. I knew I wouldn't be able to be with my team to prepare for the fall season, and I knew I was not going to be able to see my friends for another six months. At the end of the day, this pandemic has affected millions of people around the world; people have lost their lives and many more have had to mourn unmeasurable loss. To me, soccer became secondary and I knew that it was time to take my individual interests and put them aside to make sure that everyone around me is safe.

I was devastated when I heard the news that the team would opt out of the fall season, as I knew of the work that everyone put in day in and day out. I really admired the team's reaction to the news and how they approached the unusual fall semester. From our first practice of the spring to now, I've seen the tremendous work everyone put in and how much the team has developed over the fall semester.

Going into this spring season, I feel extremely grateful that I am able to be back at the place that I have been privileged to call my home for the last three-and-a-half years. Being with my teammates and playing the sport that I love is something that I will never take for granted again. We are extremely privileged to be able to play games this spring and continue to improve as a team. It is a huge opportunity for everyone to finally get back to the field and get better against great opponents. At the end of the day, we are all here to win, and this is how I will approach every single game we play this spring season no matter the circumstances.

The world is still not back to normal, so being able to get back some sense of normalcy has been invaluable to me. Despite the fact that I was thousands of miles away during this unprecedented time, I never once felt like I was distanced from the team or program, proving the point that we really are always part of the Pack!

-Lulu Guttenberger
Wolfer79
.@PackWSoccer will take the field for the first time since last spring after opting out of the fall season, playing 4 of its 8 games this month.

Vs. Old Dominion - Feb. 7
Vs. UNCW - Feb. 13
Vs. Campbell - Feb. 16
At VCU - Feb. 28
@katpeters15

Wolfer79
The NC State women's soccer team will kick off its spring season Sunday when it welcomes Old Dominion (1-0-0) to Dail Soccer Stadium. Kickoff is set for 3 p.m., and the match will be broadcast on the ACC Network Extra.

Due to health and safety recommendations and current state guidelines, attendance at NC State women's soccer home competitions is limited to a pass list of player and coach guests only. No tickets are available to the general public. Please continue to visit GoPack.com for the latest updates.

2021 SPRING ROSTER
The team returns seven players who started or saw significant playing time in the 2019 season. Additionally, the program has added six freshmen along with junior transfer Denae Antoine to its 2021 spring roster.

NC State returns three of its top five goal scorers from 2019 in Lulu Guttenberger, Jameese Joseph and Leyah Hall-Robinson.

SCOUTING OLD DOMINION
ODU opened its season on Thursday evening with a 1-0 win over East Carolina at home. Emily Garrick found the back of the net in the 72nd minute.

In 2019 the Monarchs went 10-4-4 overall and finished ninth among the Conference USA standings with a 4-4-2 record. The team did not compete in the 2020 season as its league canceled fall sports due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Old Dominion returns four of its top six goal scorers from the 2019 season, who accounted for 18 of the combined 37 goals scored. ODU also brings back its top two goalkeepers, Jasmine Crawley and Kasey Perry, who helped its staff compile a 1.09 goals-against average that year.
Wolfer79
Halftime update:

NCSU 0, ODU 0
Wolfer79
GOAL WOLFPACK!

@meesecita gives us a 1-0 lead in the 68th minute.

#GoPackBaby
Wolfer79
GOAL WOLFPACK!

@denaeantoine find the back of the net off of a @leyahhr assist to make it 2-0 in the 80th minute.

#GoPackBaby
Wolfer79
FINAL: NCSU 2, ODU 0

#GoPackBaby https://t.co/Nrc5KrQYKh
Wolfer79
.@PackWSoccer took the field for the first time in roughly a year, winning 2-0.

HC Tim Santoro: "It is so nice to be out here. We wanted to win of course but we wanted to get to this day."
@nick_schnittker & @rachelbilenki
https://t.co/FXmCz4t05x
Wolfer79
The NC State women's soccer team (1-0-0) opened its spring season on Sunday afternoon with a 2-0 win over Old Dominion (1-1-0) at Dail Soccer Stadium.

Denae Antoine, Maria Echezarreta, Sandra Geiselhart, Margot Ridgeway and Mia Vaughan all made their first official starts in a Wolfpack uniform, while every available field player saw playing time throughout the match.

Jameese Joseph scored an unassisted goal in the 68th minute to put the Pack on the board. In the 80th minute, Antoine doubled her team's lead when she found the back of the net off of a Leyah Hall-Robinson assist.

The Pack returns to play Feb. 10 versus UNCW. Kickoff is slated for 6 p.m. at Dail Soccer Field, and the match will be broadcast on the ACC Network Extra.
Wolfer79
: Our match vs. UNCW on Sat., Feb. 13 has been moved up to Wed., Feb. 10 @ 6 PM at Dail Soccer Stadium.

The match will be on the ACC Network Extra, and tickets are currently not available to the general public for any home matches.

Wolfer79
The NC State women's soccer team (1-0-0) will continue its spring slate Wednesday when it welcomes UNCW (0-0-0) to Dail Soccer Stadium. Kickoff is slated for 6 p.m. and the match will be broadcast on the ACC Network.

Due to health and safety recommendations and current state guidelines, attendance at NC State women's soccer home competitions is limited to a pass list of player and coach guests only. No tickets are available to the general public. Please continue to visit GoPack.com for the latest updates.

SERIES HISTORY
Wednesday will be the seventh all-time meeting between the Wolfpack and Seahawks, as NC State owns a 6-0-0 advantage in the series.

The teams last met on Sept. 14, 2016 in Wilmington, N.C., and the Wolfpack earned a 2-0 shutout win.

SCOUTING UNCW
Wednesday will mark UNCW's season opener, as its match at UNCW on Sunday was postponed.

In 2019, the Seahawks compiled a 10-6-1 record and fell to James Madison, 3-2, in the first round of the Colonial Athletic Association Championship. The team did not compete in the 2020 season as its league canceled fall sports due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

This year's squad returns three of the team's nine goal scorers from the 2019 season, including Audrey Harding who had seven on the year. In goal the Seahawks lose standout Sydney Schneider, who was the 29th overall pick in the 2021 National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) Draft.

https://gopack.com/news/2021/2/9/womens-soccer-welcomes-uncw-wednesday-night.aspx
Wolfer79
UNCW opens the scoring very early. A clearance fell to the Seahawks just outside NC State's box and the shot flew over the keeper's head and off the bar before being tapped in.
Wolfer79
Halftime: NC State 0, UNCW 1.

Early counterattack gave the Seahawks the lone goal of the game. Wolfpack got more successful in playing out of the press as the half went on.
Wolfer79
Technician

Leyah Hall-Robinson levels things up. Lulu Guttenberger plays a great ball in behind and Hall-Robinson gets on the end of it before putting a calm finish by the keeper. 1-1.
Wolfer79
Still all tied up at 1-1 after 90 minutes. Heading to overtime.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Hall-Robinson scores her second of the game. Assist goes to Starova. Wolfpack wins 2-1.
Wolfer79
The NC State women's soccer team (2-0-0) picked up a 2-1 OT win over UNCW (0-1-0) on Wednesday evening at Dail Soccer Stadium. Leyah Hall-Robinson scored both goals for the Wolfpack to mark her first career brace and game-winning goal.

The Seahawks took an early 1-0 advantage when Madison Henry's shot off of a rebound found the back of the net in the second minute.

NC State had a chance to tie things up in the 25th minute when Denae Antoine was brought down inside the penalty box, but Toni Starova was unable to convert the penalty kick.

Hall-Robinson scored the equalizer in the 51st minute off of a Lulu Guttenberger assist, and despite outshooting the Seahawks 8-3 in the remainder of the second half the teams were forced to go to overtime.

Hall-Robinson managed to put away the golden goal in the 96th minute off of an assist from Starova to lift the Pack to its second win of the season.

NC State returns to action Feb. 16 when it welcomes Campbell to round out a three-game home stand. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. at Dail Soccer Stadium, and the match will be broadcast on the ACC Network Extra.
Wolfer79
.@PackWSoccer went behind early but eventually won in overtime behind two goals from Leyah Hall-Robinson.

HC Tim Santoro: "We got a little sloppy in the end and they missed a really good chance, but we found a way."
@nick_schnittker & @ksebastian0
https://t.co/9SdSMdOxg2
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
- We have added a neutral site match with Georgia to our spring slate. The contest will be played April 11 at 2 PM at the CSA OrthoCarolina Sportsplex in Pineville, N.C.

#GoPackBaby
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
NC State women's soccer (2-0-0) will round out a three-game home stand to start its 2021 spring season Tuesday night when it welcomes Campbell (0-0-0) to Dail Soccer Stadium. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m., and the match will be broadcast on the ACC Network Extra.

SCOUTING CAMPBELL
Tuesday will mark Campbell's season opener. The team did not compete in the 2020 season as its league canceled fall sports due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

In 2019 the Camels compiled a 13-4-2 record, highlighted by an 8-1-1 ledger in Big South play to finish second in the league and earn its sixth-straight trip to the semifinals of the Big South Conference Tournament.

This year's squad returns seven starters from the program's historic 2019 campaign, including Elyssa Nowowieski and Parker Ormsby who return as Campbell's leading goal scorers with four apiece.
Wolfer79
The NC State women's soccer team (3-0-0) defeated Campbell (0-1-0) on Tuesday night at Dail Soccer Stadium.

Denae Antoine scored what proved to be the game-winning goal in the 19th minute thanks to a double assist from Toni Starova and Sandra Geiselhart. It marked her second goal of the season.

Maria Echezarreta collected her second shutout of the year in goal, making three saves on the night. Additionally, Cara Elmendorf earned her first start in a Wolfpack uniform.

The Pack returns to competition Feb. 28 when it travels to VCU for its first road contest of the season. Kickoff is slated for 1 p.m. at Sports Backers Stadium in Richmond, Va.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
SCHEDULE UPDATE:

We have added a home match with UNCG on Feb. 24 at 7 PM, and it will be closed to the public. More details will be announced at a later date.
Wolfer79
NC State women's soccer (3-0-0) is set for its last home match in the month of February Wednesday, as it will welcome UNCG (0-1-0) to Dail Soccer Stadium. Kickoff is slated for 7 p.m.

The match will be closed to the public, and there will not be live stats or a broadcast.

SCOUTING UNCG
The Spartans fell to High Point on the road, 2-0, in its season opener on Feb. 13.

In 2019, UNCG went 10-8-2 and reached the semifinals of the Southern Conference Tournament. The Spartans return 68 percent of its goal scoring from that season, led by Nicole Souply (12).

The team was picked to finish third in this year's SoCon Preseason Poll while Kayla Campbell earned preseason All-SoCon honors.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
NC State women's soccer (3-0-1) ended its four-game home stand to start the 2021 spring season with a 0-0 (2 OT) draw against UNCG (0-1-1) on Wednesday night at Dail Soccer Stadium.

The Wolfpack outscored the Spartans, 20-7, and won six corners to UNCG's five, but was unable to find the back of the net. Denae Antoine put a pair of shots on goal in the regulation period and Mia Vaughan had a good scoring opportunity early in the second half.

Defensively, the Pack's backline remained sharp as it has only allowed one goal through four matches this year.

Mikhail earned her first start in a Wolfpack uniform, playing a career-high 104 minutes, while Mia Thillet made her first start since October 2018 and played a career-best 72 minutes.

For the third time this season freshman goalkeeper Maria Echezarreta recorded a shutout, as she was only forced to make saves in the 85th and 103rd minutes.

The squad will make its first road trip of the season Sunday when it travels to VCU. Kickoff is slated for 1 p.m. at Sports Backers Stadium, and the match will be broadcast on ESPN+.

Wolfer79
.@PackWSoccer managed 20 shots, including a very close shot in OT, but only three tested the UNCG keeper.

HC Santoro: "Best game we have played so far out of the four we were really good for a large part of that game."
@nick_schnittker & @bryanpyrtle
https://t.co/Odl0U1sMDh
Wolfer79
The NC State women's soccer team (3-0-1) is set for its first road test of the season when it makes the trip to Richmond, Va., Sunday to face Virginia Commonwealth (3-0-1). Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. at Sports Backers Stadium, and the contest will be broadcast on ESPN+.

SCOUTING VCU
VCU is undefeated through its first four matches of the season after compiling a 9-6-3 record in 2019. In the preseason, the Rams were picked to finish fifth in the Atlantic-10 Preseason Coaches Poll.

VCU returns 17 players from its 2019 roster, including six starters. Samantha Jerabeck, who was named A-10 Offensive Player of the Week on Feb. 16, was the team's top goal scorer in 2019 and has already scored five so far this year.

Goalkeeper Brecht Haakma was recently named the Atlantic-10 Defensive Player of the Week, and she has only allowed two goals to score against her. She has tallied two shutouts and has played every minute so far for VCU in goal.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.