NC State Pressing Strategy

485 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by grandpack1
Luke12321
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I often hear about Keatts loving to press.

It seems like we show press but as soon as the ball enters the court, we back off.

I was watching a re-run of the Boston College game, in the first half we forced two turnovers by stealing the entry pass and it resulted in two points.

That is great, but we are expending lots of energy for just two turnovers.

Maybe that Boston Game 1st half was an outlier but I seem to think not?

Our general strategy seems to be show press, man up...if we can steal the first pass, great but we never trap the first pass.

I know Keatts came from Pitino system so I watched a game from that 2013 run. The final four game against Wichita State.

It was a slower paced game, obviously that Wichita team is a million times better than BC of 2021. But quite a few less possessions than a typical Louisville game in 2013 I would imagine.

Pitino in the first half trapped the ball 5 times. Two after made baskets (resulting in one turnover) and twice after a dead ball (no turnovers).

He also threw in a 1/2 court trap off the first pass that resulted in a turnover.

Beyond the traps, he was constantly switching between zone and man, something I have not saw much of in the Keatts era.

I understand implementing a pressing/trapping style game takes time. But we are in year 4, I just don't understand why we aren't mixing in a few traps if we are going to show press constantly.

The two turnovers were great, resulted in easy 4 points in that BC game in the 1st half.

It is year 4, Keatts maybe hasn't landed his first choice of recruits but he still has a pretty athletic team. BB isn't a good fit for the press but all the other players shouldn't be a liability.

It seemed like Louisville was always pressuring and ready to trap. Sometimes they would spin the ball handler and have a guy coming instantly to go for the steal once he spun. That forced a turnover.

Has he discussed the strategy behind pressuring but never trapping? Great that we got those two turnovers and converted them into baskets but it seems like mixing it up would benefit us even more?

grandpack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There are a lot of reasons for pressing Steals are great but not the major reasons you do it. The major reasons you do it other than turnovers is 1 shrink the clock. If you can make a half court patient offense take 15 seconds before they get into their sets. They have less time to run their sets making them rush and rush their shots or get a shot clock violation. 2 you want to get the ball out of the hands of the point guard. Have you ever seen a full court press where they are guarding the guards tight but a big guy is wide open in the middle making it easy to throw to him. Did you think, what was the point of that. Well that was the point. They want the ball in his hands instead of the playmakers. This too takes time off the shot clock. I would not do all the time. But I do understand. Pressure is why you are seeing a lot of three guard lineups with a forth wing that is ball handler. Getting to state We have two huge problems that we need to deal with. First. We suck at getting back on defense and yes you can press and get back. Second. We are playing a huge liability on defense in my opinion and that makes the first problem harder to do. Teams are getting past our guards way too easy. That is why we got killed I believe and having your big as a fouling backdrop is not the answer at this level
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.