2020 NC State women's soccer - no fall schedule

2,493 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Wolfer79
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
BUCKETTOFCOLDWATER
they are not playing this season? i just heard
Wolfer79
BUCKETTOFCOLDWATER said:

they are not playing this season? i just heard

Lagniappe
Is there more to this story?
BUCKETTOFCOLDWATER
Lagniappe said:

sounds to me they had a number of players opt to attend class online and also have some injuries. But i also wonder what if there could be something more to it.
Wolfer79
BUCKETTOFCOLDWATER said:

Lagniappe said:

sounds to me they had a number of players opt to attend class online and also have some injuries. But i also wonder what if there could be something more to it.

I heard last week that ACC had not released any schedules for Olympic sports that are scheduled to start September 10
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79

"We were intending to play," @PackWSoccer's Tim Santoro said. "We would love to be playing right now Our protocols have been great. Our testing has gone great for our team. We wanted to play. We just simply ran into a numbers crunch."

The Wolfpack had three internationals who were set to join the program, but with uncertainty surrounding visas, travel restrictions and a season happening at all, Santoro said it was best if the three of them signed professional contracts in the spring.

In addition to the three internationals who were set to join the Wolfpack prior to signing professional contracts, Santoro said the team's three returning internationals, midfielder Toni Starova, defender Lulu Guttenberger and goalkeeper Maria Echezaretta, did not return for the fall, but he said all three will return to the program for the spring semester.

With just the internationals missing, Santoro said they were prepared to play with the amount of players they had but knew they could not lose anyone else. Unfortunately for Santoro, two players were still not at full fitness due to injuries from last year and two other players got injured during training last week, which was the final straw for pulling the plug on the season.

"Once we lost those five, six players it just became a low roster," Santoro said. "We had two injuries returning who aren't quite back yet and then we had two in training last week. Once those happened last week in training, I just said, 'I owe it to our institution and I owe it to the other coaches in the ACC to make a decision before we get into a schedule and a season.' And that is what I did."

Another factor in the decision was a late change to the schedule for the fall season, which has yet to be announced in full.

"We got into a room last week with the conference and all of a sudden, we were told the schedule's changing again," Santoro said. "It was going to be more games. Right then we were like, 'They're not single game weekends; they were going to be double game weekends.' So now we are playing with a small roster on a double weekend. Which I wasn't in 100% favor of. But then when we had the injuries ultimately, in practice, it just became not safe. It's not safe to put such a small number out in the field. You're going to have more injuries in the span of a season. I've never gone through a season without injuries. So it's not like just because we have 16 or 14 field players, because we need them, they aren't going to get injured."

Apart from the internationals, who are not returning to the country this fall, Santoro said none of his players wanted to opt out.

"We talked about that early in the summer, midsummer," Santoro said. "Everyone was comfortable that, if I was going to bring them back, we were going to have the protocols and we were going to do it safely. There was never any apprehension about that at all. The girls were all in."

In addition, Santoro said just one player has tested positive during the preseason and she is already back training with the team.

"We've had, in the four weeks we have been here, I think we have had over 150 tests," Santoro said. "We've had one positive. That was four weeks ago and she is already back. The protocols have been great. I can only speak for my program but it's been flawless."

The original statement made on Monday said the team would turn its attention toward the 2021 season but also mentioned the possibility of playing in the spring if that became an option.

"We are just going to have to see how the fall goes," Santoro said. "The NCAA put out a nice statement that sounded like they were trying but I don't think they know right now. They're going to want to see how the fall goes, see where the virus is. It is hard to guess. There are 280-plus teams that aren't playing this fall. It is not like we are just one of a small number... I think there is going to be some sort of plane; I just don't know if it's going to be as elaborate as a season with an NCAA tournament and all that. I would be shocked if we saw an NCAA tournament in the spring."

While there will be plenty of other opponents the team could possibly play in the spring, with many conferences deciding to postpone their fall season, Santoro did not rule out the possibility of a spring season that sees the Wolfpack play ACC opponents.

"In a normal fall you'll have to play 20 games, and that is what we're allowed to play this year," Santoro said. "[The ACC] is going to play eight plus a conference tournament, plus they might add a few nonconference, but most of the teams are trying to target around 10 games counting games this fall which would leave them 10 in the spring. So we would have the option, if the ACC allows it, and our administrations and institutions allow us to pay for that we could play another eight to 10 game ACC schedule. That is what we would love to do but, again, a lot of that is out of our hands. From the way it sounded, those remaining games you have from your 20, you can pretty much do what you need to as long as you are allowed to. So ACC games could happen. Absolutely."

While focus will be turned toward next fall, or possibly this upcoming spring, Santoro's team will continue to practice throughout the fall, something he said seems almost natural due to the loss of this year's spring season.

"Like the spring season would be training, lifting, running," Santoro said. "We won't be playing in competitions. But just like we would in the spring, we train four, five times a week. We lost the spring, so for us, it is like we get to go back and do that part of the season I said it yesterday to someone: It is a logical progression. You have five months off, now you train for four months, we will take a Christmas break and then whatever they tell us we can do in the spring we will do. In a weird way, it is the way it should be."
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79

There hasn't been a Division I sporting event in Virginia since the MEAC basketball tournament in March. That changes Saturday when @UVAWomenSoccer hosts @HokiesWSoccer at Klockner Stadium.
"I don't think many of us thought we'd get to this point."

Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Women's
Duke vs. Virginia ACC Network, 6 p.m.
Florida State vs. Notre Dame ACC Network,
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
"Likewise, we will face all the unprecedented circumstances that this pandemic and fall season have to offer and be stronger because of it."

@MiaThillet shares the perspective that she and the rest of the team have had throughout the fall semester.

Editor's Note: Due to a depleted roster as an indirect impact of COVID-19, NC State women's soccer opted out of the 2020 season in August. The following is a piece written by junior Mia Thillet on the perspective that she and the team have had through these unprecedented times.*

On August 31st, NC State Women's Soccer announced to the world that we would not be participating in a fall season because of the indirect impact of COVID-19 on our roster size. A few days prior to that, our coach, Tim Santoro, called for a team meeting over Zoom to break the news to us. I remember staring at my computer screen and watching as the disappointment spread across the little boxes that digitally housed my teammates. It was heartbreaking knowing that we would have to watch as the majority of the teams in our conference restored some semblance of normalcy and got to compete. We were essentially being relegated to the sidelines, and as athletes that thrive on competition and playing the game, this was a reality that was difficult to contend with.

There was, however, a considerable silver lining in the fact that we were allowed to remain on campus and continue practicing together as a team. I cannot begin to say how grateful I am that we have been able to keep training throughout this time. However tough this season has been and regardless of the challenges that we have had to deal with, having practice and being able to connect with each other on a daily basis has been a huge positive.

One of the biggest themes of this season for us has been perspective. It's certainly difficult to live through a months-long stay-at-home order without gaining some perspective through the experience. As disappointing as it was to hear that we would not be competing this fall, it was difficult for any of us to deny the reality of our team's situation. Several of our international players were unable to travel back into the country and this, compounded by a few injuries during preseason, really depleted our roster size. Facing an elite ACC team with such a small roster week in and week out would have been a near impossibility.

I think the fact that we were able to understand this perspective from pretty early on has helped us make the best of this season and focus on the opportunities we do have. Additionally, our small roster size has allowed us to all grow closer together and connect with each other on a deeper level. Living through these crazy times and being able to lean on each other has really strengthened our team chemistry, and I know I will always care for and appreciate these girls.

If there is one thing I would want the world to know about Pack Women's Soccer, it is that we are undeniably resilient. During my freshman year, we got to travel to California to play in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. When game day came around, we ended up having to walk a significant portion of the way to UCLA's campus from our hotel because our bus broke down. In true "Pack" fashion we busted out our speakers, had an impromptu dance party and marched through the busy streets of Los Angeles ready to face any situation head-on. We won that game in penalty kicks because of our grit, determined spirit, commitment to each other, and our ability to turn challenges into opportunities. Likewise, we will face all the unprecedented circumstances that this pandemic and fall season have to offer and be stronger because of it.

-Mia Thillet
Wolfer79
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.