NC State Club Hockey "Icepack" 2019-2020

7,172 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Wolfer79
GuerrillaPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The 2019-2020 season starts this Saturday, Sept 21, against Duke at the Orange County Sportsplex.

Full 2019-2020 Schedule:
https://www.ncsuhockey.org/copy-of-schedule

An overview of last season, in which they went 25-0 in the regular season winning the ACCHL regular season championship, won the ACCHL tournament championship, and then won in regionals to qualify and play in the national tournament -- and a preview of the upcoming season:

GuerrillaPack
I'm here at the Orange County Sportsplex. NC State leads Duke 4-1 at the end of the first period, and are more dominant than the score indicates. Duke only had possession on the Pack's side of the rink 2 or 3 times during the first period, and scored on a power play.

Update: Pack leads 6-1 at the end of the 2nd period.

Final: NC State wins 14-1
GuerrillaPack
One of only 8 home games this Friday at the Raleigh Iceplex

GuerrillaPack
I'm at the Raleigh IcePlex. Nice crowd. NC State leads ECU 4-1 at the end of the first period.

Live feed of the game here:

Wolfer79
GuerrillaPack
NC State only has 4 home games left this season. One of them is this Friday (November 15) against Wake Forest at the Raleigh Iceplex (9:30pm).

This weekend, the IcePack won the annual Russell Tournament, winning 3 games and moving to a perfect 5-0 in ACCHL play.

"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
GuerrillaPack
The Icepack defeat Wake Forest 5-1.

Here is Riley Johnson with a "lacrosse-esque" goal to make it 5-1.

"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Wolfer79
GuerrillaPack
A closer look at that lacrosse goal last night:

Wolfer79
GuerrillaPack
NC State defeated Wake Forest tonight 4-3 in Winson-Salem in thrilling fashion, with the go-ahead goal scored with 13 seconds left in the 3rd period.

Next up is the big one - the Governor's Cup match against unc-CHeat at PNC arena on Monday, Nov 25 at 7:00 pm. For those who haven't been to one of these games, I HIGHLY recommend it. I've been to the last four against unc in the PNC, and it's always a big crowd (~5,000) and electric atmosphere. The Icepack also have about a 6 or 7 game winning streak versus unc.

Parking and admission is free, but a $5 donation at the entrance is suggested.

GuerrillaPack
Big game tonight!

Wolfer79

Wolfer79
Wolfer79

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdMtE6QetWLQCLsdsaBzBZtsUMqriKsEGH0a2qPfQ9_teGczw/viewform

Cost: $100
Customized: Includes name and number: $125
Youth cost: $75 (can be customized or not, at the same $75 price)

Deadline: Friday, December 6th at noon.
Delivery: Likely mid to late January, will update once the order is placed.
Shipping: Please add $15 for any jerseys to be shipped, they will be shipped US Postal Service in flat rate boxes.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
GuerrillaPack
The IcePack sweep Delaware in 2 games this weekend. Next up is another big game versus unc-cheat at PNC on Monday, January 20th at 7:00 pm. As always, parking and entry to the game is free, with only a suggested $5 donation to help support the team.

Wolfer79
Icepack wins it 9-3! https://t.co/uG7NuIkHAp
Wolfer79
"NC State fans would show up for a Jenga game against UNC, just to watch us beat them," said @NCStateHockey head coach Mike Gazzillo. "So yeah, you want to win these games with the big crowd and you want to win when you've got your rival"
https://t.co/1UaGwjUr9E
GuerrillaPack
Highlights from the game last night:

Full game:

Wolfer79
East Carolina Division: CLINCHED!

We'll see you in Winston Salem February 14th-16th for the @ACCHockey tournament

#cawlidgehawkey || #icepack https://t.co/CXjhKFnKYX
Wolfer79
Redwolf
I hope these young men will be known as the team that began our climb to D1 !
Nothing short of amazing, congratulations guys!
Wolfer79
Freshman forward Chris Solomon leads @NCStateHockey in goals (25), assists (27) and points (52) despite missing a few games due to injury. It is the team's ability to find these gems why it has proven to be so successful.
https://t.co/FYi3KYUFXK
GuerrillaPack
NC State just defeated Georgetown tonight 5-2 in the semifinals of the ACCHL tournament. They play Wake Forest in the championship game tomorrow at 1:00 pm.

The tournament is being held in Winston-Salem at the W-S Fairgrounds Annex. If there are any Pack fans in the area, come out and support the boys. General admission tickets can be purchased at the gate for $10. I'm going to be there myself.

Wolfer79
GuerrillaPack
I made the trip to Winston-Salem to watch the championship game. The Icepack jumped out to a 5-1 lead on the second period, then Wake Forest scored 3 goals in about one minute, to pull it to 5-4. Then there was no scoring for about the final 25 minutes of the game.

NC state are now back-to-back conference champs for both the tournament and the regular season. This is only their 3rd tournament title in the last 25 years, and 9th regular season title over that time period. They have won the regular season championship in 6 of the last 8 years.

Yearly champs: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Coast_Collegiate_Hockey_League

Post-game interviews with players and the head coach:

GuerrillaPack
PackDaddy
Some might think this is a dumb question but I am ignorant on this subject. Why can't we have a real ice hockey team? Is it funding? Would we then have to add a woman's sport also?
Wolfer79
PackDaddy said:

Some might think this is a dumb question but I am ignorant on this subject. Why can't we have a real ice hockey team? Is it funding? Would we then have to add a woman's sport also?

Title IX is one reason
NC State is around 45% female enrollment, class that entered fall of 2019 is first class with more women than men

Cost is another factor
http://www.collegiateconsulting.com/news/collegiate-consulting-completes-five-nhl-funded-hockey-feasibility-studies

Atlanta-based Collegiate Consulting recently completed a unique, six-month study for five universities as part of an effort by the National Hockey League (NHL), the National Hockey League Players' Assocation (NHLPA) and College Hockey, Inc., to expand college hockey.

Currently, there are 35 institutions in the country that have a Division I women's hockey program competing within four conferences and 60 institutions with a Division I men's hockey program competing among six conferences

Only 2 ACC members have men's ice hockey programs
Notre Dame plays in B1G
Boston College plays in Hockey East

Arizona State had independent team but Google says they had $32 million in donations to start and fund program.

Illinois did a study in March 2018 had these cost estimates
$345,250 in start up cost, about 2/3 is equipment

About $1 mlion a year in staff salaries
About $500,000 in administration costs
$1.3 million in operating costs, NC State would be much higher due to travel
18 scholarships would be $1 million per year

You would need to at least double the cost due to Title IX and a women's program would also have to be added
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.