NC State research Mental Health challenges for college students

2,916 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Wolfer79
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PackFansXL
This paper is an analysis of topics covered by the media. Our reactionary press is an echo chamber of the same tired ideas aimed at driving differences between people. One could argue that the media's penchant for implying racism at every turn is really the source of the student's mental health issues.
Wolfer79
PackFansXL said:

This paper is an analysis of topics covered by the media. Our reactionary press is an echo chamber of the same tired ideas aimed at driving differences between people. One could argue that the media's penchant for implying racism at every turn is really the source of the student's mental health issues.

Based on my discussions with various campus ministers over the last 10 years, the mental health issues among college students are an increasing challenge in their jobs and includes a number of factors.

Based on those discussions, to argue the blame and entire problem is the media is incorrect.
PackBacker07
Wolfer79 said:

Based on my discussions with various campus ministers over the last 10 years, the mental health issues among college students are an increasing challenge in their jobs and includes a number of factors.

Based on those discussions, to argue the blame and entire problem is the media is incorrect.
Great post.
Y'all means ALL.
PackFansXL
Wolfer79 said:

PackFansXL said:

Your analysis of discussions with various campus ministers is probably more revealing than a survey of what the media is currently promoting. In other words, if you provided details on those insights, you would at least be adding some new info. You are correct the entire problem doesn't reside with the media. My statement was not intended to blame the media for everything. I'm sure there are many factors besides the media harping on real and perceived slights for persons of all races, but if folks choose to listen to the hype about that topic, they are surely going to be emotionally impacted.

If things are like they were when I was at State, the mental health issues were related to choosing a path in life, dealing with relationships, temptations, drug/alcohol abuse, working/paying for school, and finding a way to be self-disciplined enough to study to keep up with the GPA pressures.

What are you hearing from these discussions you mentioned?
Wolfer79
PackFansXL said:

Wolfer79 said:

PackFansXL said:

Your analysis of discussions with various campus ministers is probably more revealing than a survey of what the media is currently promoting. In other words, if you provided details on those insights, you would at least be adding some new info. You are correct the entire problem doesn't reside with the media. My statement was not intended to blame the media for everything. I'm sure there are many factors besides the media harping on real and perceived slights for persons of all races, but if folks choose to listen to the hype about that topic, they are surely going to be emotionally impacted.

If things are like they were when I was at State, the mental health issues were related to choosing a path in life, dealing with relationships, temptations, drug/alcohol abuse, working/paying for school, and finding a way to be self-disciplined enough to study to keep up with the GPA pressures.

What are you hearing from these discussions you mentioned?

No particular order
Grades, cannot transfer out of First Year College into a major
Roommate issue
Personal financial issues
Body image, eating disorder
Friends and family members in military that are deployed overseas
Death or serious health issue of close friend, parent, grandparents
Boyfriend/girlfriend issues
Lack of boyfriend/girlfriend
Job market
Picking a major where there is hiring
Home financial issues
Unplanned pregnancy
Parents divorce/separation
Substance abuse
Figuring out who they are with a separate identity than a child of someone and just repeating those opinions and beliefs, what they believe about religion, politics, and how to handle those with different opinion.
Domestic violence from parent or boyfriend/girlfriend
Parental expectation of career

Not much on sexual orientation/sexual identity which surprised me.

Lots of fear and general pissed off about school violence and government response or lack of response.

Most of the homesick issues are gone second semester of freshman year, or they transfer or leave school.

One observation is students date in groups, not in pairs. Not sure if this is security of group or personal insecurity, fear of commitment, pain from previous relationship, or inability to be able to relate to person as peer adult who has their own stuff they are dealing with at same time.

A friend calls his son's, in their 20s, the "reset generation." They grew up playing video games and if they were losing they just hit the reset button. Their helicopter parents protected them and made sure everyone got a trophy so they never learned how to deal with disappointment.
PackFansXL
Thanks, Wolfer. That's what I expected. Not this lead about racism. Students have lots of issues to deal with, but the blatant pot-stirring hatred coming from news channels is helping no one.
Wolfer79
PackFansXL said:

Thanks, Wolfer. That's what I expected. Not this lead about racism. Students have lots of issues to deal with, but the blatant pot-stirring hatred coming from news channels is helping no one.

I will see at least 2 of the Campus Ministers I know in next month and am going to ask them about the racial part of this survey . Will let you know.
Wolfer79
What to Read When You Can't Talk About God

Kate Bowler blog
https://katebowler.com/read-cant-talk-god/

And lest we decry that the internet is poisoning the porous cavities of young minds with cat videos and circular comment-wars, Jonathan's research actually reveals that more millennials are having conversations about spirituality than any other generation

Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Similar subject

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.