Could a passenger land a plane?

2,404 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DrummerboyWolf
Steve Williams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
I've always wondered about this so thought it kind of interesting. Funny that I thought she did well but she felt a passenger could not do it in a real scenario.

DrummerboyWolf
I believe all of the big airliners have the ability to land themselves and I think at least on one flight a day for the major carriers, it takes place to make sure it's working. I used to have quite a bit of contact with pilots of major airlines and I got this information from them.

I just watched the video and she did land it with the automatic system with the captain telling her what to do. It would be tough, but I think for sure most competent people could do it if they stayed calm. That would be the hardest part, but if one could establish communication with a pilot, then I think many people could press the right buttons to initiate the landing.
wilmwolf
Physically capable I would say, but in practice, the adrenaline, fear, etc would make it impossible. I think in that scenario the best you could hope for is a controlled crash.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
DrummerboyWolf
wilmwolf80 said:

Physically capable I would say, but in practice, the adrenaline, fear, etc would make it impossible. I think in that scenario the best you could hope for is a controlled crash.
The plane is capable of landing itself if the right buttons are pushed. A passenger would not have to control the stick, speed, and the part of putting the plane down. The computer would do that automatically.
waynecountywolf
DrummerboyWolf
waynecountywolf said:

One of my all time favorite characters. Buck Murdoch..."Irony can be so ironic"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.