What do you do for work?

3,015 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Amphibious
Amphibious
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just was curious. I am sure a lot of you are engineers of some type. And maybe all of you have a better job than me.

I am in Property Management here at the beach, it's my full time job. I have my 'SC Property Mngr In-Charge' License.

but, I also have a second job that I just started in May. I work at Dunkin Donuts from 430am to 7am, 7 days a week delivering donuts to other DD locations that doesnt have a baker. I didnt really need the extra money(although I do appreciate it), just that I wake up at 4am anyways(cant help it, cat wakes me up and I cant get back to sleep) and had about 5 hours of free time before my full time job. Nothing worse than sitting around waiting to go to work.

I really enjoy working...I do a lot of extra stuff on the side too. Working the door at Fat Harold's during SOS, working the door at the Spanish Galleon...I've even worked Monday After The Masters before. I also use to have my own kiosk at Barefoot Landing and Coastal Grand Mall.
PackDaddy
You should have done a better "job" getting Doty to come here
Amphibious
PackDaddy said:

You should have done a better "job" getting Doty to come here
lol, I had plans to go to the games and stand on the sidelines wearing an NC State shirt as I have a press pass. Maybe still will if DD tries to flip him...
Glasswolf
I've been in Construction Project Management since 1993. Spent up until last August as a PM in the commercial glass business and have been a PM in commercial flooring since in Raleigh
Amphibious
Glasswolf said:

I've been in Construction Project Management since 1993. Spent up until last August as a PM in the commercial glass business and have been a PM in commercial flooring since in Raleigh
my mother's husband is in glass...he is in the stain glass business. Lynchburg is the name of the company I believe...
PoleD
Currently I am looking for work.

My contract with the Army ended this past December. I applied for jobs January through March and then the **** hit the fan with my parents' health. My mom (78) was hospitalized due to dehydration which set a new baseline for her alzheimer's . My father (82) found out he has kidney cancer. Been a crazy year but things are stabilizing now. My mom has moved to Greece to be with my sister and aunts and uncles. My dad is waiting to see how things progress with his situation.

Luckily I saved enough during my contracting years that my family has been able to make it 7 months on just my wife's salary. She's a teacher and doesn't get paid in June and July. Now its time to get back at it.

I have a ME degree but haven't done much engineering recently. For 12 years I worked as a PM for a hydroturbine manufacturer. In that position I was the main contact for the customer and acted as the go between for engineering, manufacturing and field service. My main responsiblilities were budget, schedule and customer service.

The last 9 years I provided technical support for the Army Research Office located in RTP. They provide funding for universities and small businesses to do basic research for the Army. My role was more project coordination as I was responsible for gathering information to answer data calls that came down from the higher ups in the DC/MD area. Trust me when I tell you getting professors and phds to answer specific questions instead of giving you answers to what they think the questions should be has been one of the toughest things I've had to do.

If you know of any openings and can help out, I'd appreciate. Doesn't have to be a PM role. Just something where I can get money coming into the family and not have to worry about the mortgage and bills will be great. I'm good with people, understand the tech side of things, not afraid to work and I'm loyal for what that's worth these days.

I will say there are about 6-7 Saturdays a year and the occasional Thursday that I won't be able to work!
Wuffity
I've been a software developer for 38 years, will soon be retired.

In my past life, I've done the following:

Carney
Tobacco
Construction laborer
Grocery stock clerk/cashier
Auto Mechanic
Laboratory animal technician
Steve Williams
Staff
Amphibious said:

Just was curious. I am sure a lot of you are engineers of some type. And maybe all of you have a better job than me.

I am in Property Management here at the beach, it's my full time job. I have my 'SC Property Mngr In-Charge' License.

but, I also have a second job that I just started in May. I work at Dunkin Donuts from 430am to 7am, 7 days a week delivering donuts to other DD locations that doesnt have a baker. I didnt really need the extra money(although I do appreciate it), just that I wake up at 4am anyways(cant help it, cat wakes me up and I cant get back to sleep) and had about 5 hours of free time before my full time job. Nothing worse than sitting around waiting to go to work.

I really enjoy working...I do a lot of extra stuff on the side too. Working the door at Fat Harold's during SOS, working the door at the Spanish Galleon...I've even worked Monday After The Masters before. I also use to have my own kiosk at Barefoot Landing and Coastal Grand Mall.
That's actually pretty cool. Nothing better than those dang DD's when they're fresh.
PackMom
They're good, but I don't actually remember the last time I ate a doughnut of any description. Mmmmmm...
Amphibious
Steve Williams said:

Amphibious said:

That's actually pretty cool. Nothing better than those dang DD's when they're fresh.
I look forward to my free ice coffee every morning...and my apple fritter. lol.
NatePait94
Oh that's the bomb after the morning smoke
Amphibious
NatePait94 said:

Oh that's the bomb after the morning smoke
oh you know it!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.