Anybody here Ref?

956 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mdreid
mdreid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Been looking for a part-time gig for a while and have been debating on applying to be a Ref for the last few years so i just sent in the initial very brief application into the NCHSAA earlier this morning and they said i would be contacted within a few days with further instructions and information.

just curious what the process was like if anyone on IPS has Ref for them.

thanks in advance
Bell Tower Grey
mdreid said:

Been looking for a part-time gig for a while and have been debating on applying to be a Ref for the last few years so i just sent in the initial very brief application into the NCHSAA earlier this morning and they said i would be contacted within a few days with further instructions and information.

thanks in advance
Not a ref, but it looks like you may be hired sooner than later....

https://abc11.com/nchsaa-winter-meeting-referee-pay-increase-steve-schwartz-board-of-directors/12512016/
mdreid
that article is what prompted me to just go ahead and get the process started
Bell Tower Grey
Good luck.
AlleyPack
There's a definite shortage of refs right now in the NCHSAA.
WarrenPeace
Bell Tower Grey
mdreid, is this going to be worth it to you? I have no clue, but what is the "average" pay for a high school referee? Any idea? Note - before this pay renegotiation.
mdreid
Bell Tower Grey said:

mdreid, is this going to be worth it to you? I have no clue, but what is the "average" pay for a high school referee? Any idea? Note - before this pay renegotiation.
this is just a side gig for some extra cash, having a career with a municipality its hard to find a part/time job that will hire you,

pay will be prob be low at first but its better than nothing and it helps youth sports
Oldsouljer
mdreid said:

thanks in advance
Sincerely wish you good luck with that. But my snarky side says "hope you love parents!" Lol
SCUDDER
I did it in Va not NC. It was a lot of fun but the money wasn't great. Used it to buy a new rifle every year.

Be prepared to have your life threatened. Happened at all levels (youth, JV and Varsity). People are stupid.
mdreid
well it's easy to get hired as a ref, well because there's no hiring process

The hiring process in brief summation is click a link, sign up on dragonfly, which is how they assign games and pay you. watch a concussion video and take a test and select which sports you want to do and wait till that respective person eventually emails you, or do what i did and email them first because im not waiting around.

FEES, damn is being a ref expensive. 30 bucks for your background check, had to pay 80 bucks for baseball/softball organization dues. wanted to do lacrosse also but that would of been 75 bucks plus an entire different set of uniforms

Speaking of uniforms, need all black shoes, 1 black shirt, 1 blue shirt, heather pants and black belt...that was roughly 200 bucks.

So im around 300 bucks in and i dont even know when ill see my first game lol, now i know why there's a shortage

Im pretty confident ill see my fair share of games this season, we had our first meeting yesterday and for the Central/Piedmont region we only had maybe 40ish guys to show up for baseball and softball
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.