Raleigh Christmas parade canceled UPDATE 9/14 no 2023 Parade

2,486 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Wolfer79
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Raleigh Christmas parade was canceled Saturday after a pickup truck crashes into participants, injuring at least one.

Glasswolf
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

Wolfer79
Raleigh police say they're investigating an incident involving a parade float hitting a person who was in the Raleigh Christmas Parade.

They said the incident happened at the intersection of Hillsborough St. at Boylan Ave.

The person who was hit has been taken to the hospital, according to officers.

Raleigh police, fire trucks and EMS were seen surrounding one of the trucks that was in the parade.

Crime scene tape had also been put up.

CBS 17's crews said they heard a truck driver yell that he couldn't stop because something was wrong with his brakes, and then saw that truck hit somebody.

They said they talked to a group of dancers who were crying and said their float was right in front of the scene.

One dancer with C C & Co Dance Complex, a dance school in Raleigh, said her group was in the parade when a truck started honking and they were pushed out of the way.

She said she was shaking, and one of the moms said she was terrified.

The parade was stopped while crews responded, and has now been cancelled, according to our crews at the scene.

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-news/wake-county-news/incident-stops-raleigh-christmas-parade-parade-police-and-ems-responding/
Wolfer79
FinsUp
Please pray for the girl who was hit, it was an absolutely scary incident. My heart goes out to the little girl and her family.

This occurred just before where the ABC 11 broadcast was setup. My son is in the cast of Christmas Carol, they were directly in front of this float, and were literally walking up to perform on the broadcast. Unfortunately, my son witnessed the whole incident, including the kid getting hit. Fortunately, he saw it early enough to alert his group to get out of the way.

ncsupack1
FinsUp said:

Please pray for the girl who was hit, it was an absolutely scary incident. My heart goes out to the little girl and her family.

This occurred just before where the ABC 11 broadcast was setup. My son is in the cast of Christmas Carol, they were directly in front of this float, and were literally walking up to perform on the broadcast. Unfortunately, my son witnessed the whole incident, including the kid getting hit. Fortunately, he saw it early enough to alert his group to get out of the way.

Wow..so sad. Thinking of those involved.
PackFansXL
Prayers lifted.
Wolfer79
Girl dies after being hit by pickup truck as Raleigh Christmas Parade ends tragically

https://www.wral.com/20586305/
ncsupack1
Wolfer79 said:

Girl dies after being hit by pickup truck as Raleigh Christmas Parade ends tragically

My God…so terrible.
FinsUp
ncsupack1 said:

Wolfer79 said:

My God…so terrible.

Absolutely heartbreaking.
ncsupack1
FinsUp said:

ncsupack1 said:

Wolfer79 said:

My God…so terrible.

Absolutely heartbreaking.
Indeed. I can't imagine what that family and that truck driver are going through.
Bell Tower Grey
I cannot fathom losing a child at any time, but I have to believe that with Thanksgiving and Christmas upcoming, there is possibly no worse way to compound it.

Prayers for the girl's family, friends and those that witnessed this horrible tragedy; also to the driver of the truck.

I just can't imagine.
Bell Tower Grey
Per WTVD at 6 pm:

The driver, Landon Christopher Glass, 20, is facing charges of misdemeanor death by motor vehicle, careless and reckless driving, improper equipment, unsafe movement and carrying a firearm in a parade.
DJncsu13
They have now released the name, Hailey Brooks. Hailey danced in Fuquay up until this past summer when they moved to North Raleigh. She was in the same company classes with my oldest daughter and her sister with my youngest. It's obviously hits very close to home for our family, amongst the many other families that knew this sweet, vibrant, uber talented girl. I feel so badly for her family.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
PackFansXL
DJncsu13 said:

They have now released the name, Hailey Brooks. Hailey danced in Fuquay up until this past summer when they moved to North Raleigh. She was in the same company classes with my oldest daughter and her sister with my youngest. It's obviously hits very close to home for our family, amongst the many other families that knew this sweet, vibrant, uber talented girl. I feel so badly for her family.
So sorry for Hailey's family and friends. May God's peace and comfort fill your lives.

Have any further details come out about what exactly happened with the truck and driver?
DJncsu13
PackFansXL said:

DJncsu13 said:

So sorry for Hailey's family and friends. May God's peace and comfort fill your lives.

Have any further details come out about what exactly happened with the truck and driver?

Not a ton. WRAL found out that he had violations for failure to get the vehicle inspected, some speeding violations also. Past that, not really.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
Wolfer79
heard on WPTF yesterday that the dance stufio is resuming classes this week
FinsUp
Gun at Christmas parade | Father of man charged in deadly Raleigh Parade accident is charged with gun at parade, police confirm - ABC11 Raleigh-Durham

Father facing gun charge as well, seems he was pulling the other float.
Wolfer79
truck driver in court today
January 26, 2023
Wolfer79
The driver of the truck that hit an 11-year-old girl in the Raleigh Christmas Parade in November is now charged with involuntary manslaughter, according to Wake County District Attorney Lorrin Freeman

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-news/wake-county-news/driver-that-hit-11-year-old-in-raleigh-christmas-parade-charged-with-involuntary-manslaughter-da-says/
Wolfer79
The parents of Hailey Brooks have filed a civil lawsuit against the driver accused of hitting and killing their daughter in the Raleigh Christmas Parade and parade organizers, claiming her death was "a result of the gross negligence and recklessness of Landen Glass and the organizations and individuals entrusted with ensuring the safety of the parade's participants."

The lawsuit names Glass, as well as C.C. & Co. Dance Complex, Greater Raleigh Merchants Association (doing business as Shop Local Raleigh) and D&L Floats as defendants

https://www.wral.com/amp/20828648/
Wolfer79
2023 Raleigh Christmas Parade permit gets denied by city leaders after Hailey Brooks' death

The city of Raleigh said Thursday it would not grant a special event permit application for the 2023 Raleigh Christmas Parade.

On Thursday, Raleigh Mayor Mary-Ann Baldwin released a statement about the city's decision.

"This was a difficult decision for many reasons," Baldwin wrote. "It was done out of respect for Hailey Brooks', who was tragically killed last year, and her family.

"And with pending lawsuits and state legislation regarding parades, we felt this decision was best for the community. Our goal is to work with partners on events that celebrate the upcoming holidays, and ensure that we have appropriate rules and precautions in place for 2024, when we hope to continue this wonderful Raleigh tradition."

https://www.wral.com/story/2023-raleigh-christmas-parade-permit-gets-denied-by-city-leaders-after-hailey-brooks-death/21049022/
Oldsouljer
In other words, she's let the terrorists win.
ncsupack1
I hope the people of Raleigh are proud of that mayor…
dogplasma
I guess the city is worried that legislation could be passed days or hours before the parade that has stricter rules than what's already been set in the contract, and then they'd conceivably have to cancel at the last minute anyway? Weird situation. And why has the legislation been hung up since April? I realize bills can become complicated, but in theory (and without knowing any details), this doesn't sound like one that should be too partisan/complicated.
Oldsouljer
dogplasma said:

I guess the city is worried that legislation could be passed days or hours before the parade that has stricter rules than what's already been set in the contract, and then they'd conceivably have to cancel at the last minute anyway? Weird situation. And why has the legislation been hung up since April? I realize bills can become complicated, but in theory (and without knowing any details), this doesn't sound like one that should be too partisan/complicated.
Right now, the big fight is over the budget which is being held up by a smaller fight over gambling expansion. If I were an NC Democrat, I'd scream from the rooftops that the GOP majority has over the decades, basically made our "part-time" General Assembly indistinguishable from a full-time, year-round legislative body. We're caught between an increasingly corrupt and faithless GOP majority and a dangerous, power-mad Democrat minority. Not much electoral choice there.
Wolfer79
Oldsouljer said:

dogplasma said:

Right now, the big fight is over the budget which is being held up by a smaller fight over gambling expansion. If I were an NC Democrat, I'd scream from the rooftops that the GOP majority has over the decades, basically made our "part-time" General Assembly indistinguishable from a full-time, year-round legislative body. We're caught between an increasingly corrupt and faithless GOP majority and a dangerous, power-mad Democrat minority. Not much electoral choice there.

Much kinder description than I would use.
caryking
Oldsouljer said:

dogplasma said:

The Republican Party is a shell of itself…

Greedy monsters on both sides of the aisle. Just look at the power the Bush family is putting Texas through. It's looking more and more like Ken Paxton is the victim of Karl Rove and the Bush trying to run him out…
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
dogplasma
Oldsouljer said:

dogplasma said:

Good point. If all the focus is on the budget, this isn't going to get any traction.

Just heard the city is offering a non- motorized parade option. Guess that might be a decent compromise.
Wolfer79
Father of Hailey Brooks calls out mayor for blaming his family for initial cancellation of Raleigh Christmas Parade

"We were troubled to learn that the city denied the permit for this year's parade rather than enacting change that would have put safety measures that have substance in place and allowed the parade to go on," Trey Brooks said. "We were hurt and offended when you, Mayor Baldwin, pointed to our family as a cause for the parade being canceled."

"The city's official statement, as well as your statement, made the claim that the parade was being canceled to honor Hailey out of respect for the family," Trey Brooks said to Baldwin. "However, neither you nor anyone from the city has ever bothered to contact us on the tragic death of our daughter to ask whether we would consider it an honor for the city to cancel this year's parade."

Trey Brooks said had Baldwin or someone from the city contacted him or the family, they said they would have wanted to city to conduct a "thorough and transparent investigation into what went wrong."

Also, Trey Brooks asked for the city and organizations involved to enact "common-sense protections that should have been in place last year.

https://www.wral.com/story/hailey-brooks-father-calls-out-mayor-for-blaming-his-family-for-initial-cancellation-of-raleigh-christmas-parade/21090966/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.