Household WiFi extender?

935 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by dogplasma
AlleyPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone have any experience with a GOOD/reliable wifi extender?

I have a multi-level home with lots of nooks and crannies, and in the nether reaches (offices, bedrooms, etc.) the wifi signal is pretty weak.
I've tried various extenders/boosters in the past, and they've either been junk (didn't really work at all) or they quit working after a year or two.

Amazon isn't much help. Some boosters have high reviews -- but also some very low ones -- and I have a feeling that sometimes items are given "fake" high reviews to bolster their overall profile.

So... does anyone have first-hand experience with a brand, model, etc that is a proven benefit?

Thanks
packgrad
I use google mesh Wi-Fi in my home and it has worked wonderfully. Used to be a few slow spots. Now there are none.
AlleyPack
packgrad said:

I use google mesh Wi-Fi in my home and it has worked wonderfully. Used to be a few slow spots. Now there are none.

How does the Mesh system work if you already have an existing server/router?
For example, I have Spectrum's router --- would there be any conflict?
Thanks
packgrad
AlleyPack said:

packgrad said:

How does the Mesh system work if you already have an existing server/router?
For example, I have Spectrum's router --- would there be any conflict?
Thanks

It replaces your router. It plugs into the modem. Then you place access points throughout the house.
PackPA2015
packgrad said:

I second this. We use the Google mesh system and it works great. Our router would continuously drop our doorbell cameras and be slow to stream TVs. No problems since switching over.
Civilized
Third.

Lots of good fairly affordable mesh systems out there these days. Think of them as being "smart" wifi extenders; they monitor and balance signal around a house automatically so they're way easier to dial in and eliminate dead spots.
AlleyPack
Thanks, all.
I went ahead and ordered the Google Mesh system. It will arrive next week and I'll give it a go.
Oldsouljer
I have a 3400 sq. ft ranch, only 20% of my place is second level. Spectrum placed my gear in the extreme west end of my pad so I use a Netgear extender plugged in upstairs at the midway point of my house and it does the job, both upstairs and in the east end of the house. Interfaces smoothly with Spectrum stuff and was surprisingly easy for a 20th century dinosaur like me to install.
dogplasma
We also have Google Mesh that was put in when we switched from Spectrum to Google Fiber and it's great. Strong signal all across our home.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.