Queen Elizabeth has Passed

1,970 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Werewolf
Cthepack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Long live King Charles?

ETA: Yes he will keep the name Charles and be Charles III
TraCha4
Sad news. Prays to the family

What an amazing life she had the privilege to experience and live.
PackFansXL
https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/09/queen-elizabeth-ii-r-i-p/

Charlie Cooke had this to say:
Quote:

If I were to set up a country from scratch, it would not have a monarch. But Britain, my country of birth, has already been set up. Which makes the material question not whether Britain ought to have a monarchy, but whether the monarchy and, indeed, the monarch that Britain has can be considered worthwhile. For more than 70 years, Queen Elizabeth II made it easy to answer that question with a resounding "Yes." She was a model of duty, honesty, and hard work, and for those admirable qualities she will immediately be missed.
70 years on the job! RIP QEII
Glasswolf
May she Rest In Peace. What a remarkable life. Guess Prince Charles finally gets to be king now
PackFansXL
Glass, how are your treatments going?
dogplasma
Amazing reign. I learned a lot from watching The Crown.

We currently have a life-sized cutout of QEII in our dining room. Our daughter and SIL just arrived in Scotland on Tuesday while he attends university in St Andrews for a few years, and the cutout is leftover from their goodbye party.
Glasswolf
One more left. So far so good
Packchem91
TraCha4 said:

Has any leader ever seen as much change as she did? Thinking of how the world has revolutionized the computer era of course, driving a sea change in how jobs are done, etc.
When she came in, her speeches / communications were basically only on radio, she could travel pretty much anywhere w/o regard for safety, and Britian was much more of an influencer.
PackFansXL
Glasswolf said:

Good news. Hang in there!
BBW12OG
Glasswolf said:

Great to hear!! Hopefully you'll have some good baseball to watch in the next few weeks! Praying for you!!

And God Rest the Queen....

Great leader from way, way back.
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
- Thomas Jefferson
Gulfstream4
RIP to a remarkable lady.
Cornpack
Packchem91 said:

TraCha4 said:

Has any leader ever seen as much change as she did? Thinking of how the world has revolutionized the computer era of course, driving a sea change in how jobs are done, etc.
When she came in, her speeches / communications were basically only on radio, she could travel pretty much anywhere w/o regard for safety, and Britian was much more of an influencer.
Don't forget the fact that almost 25% of the countries on Earth gained independence from England during her reign which is absolutely bonkers
Glasswolf
Thank you buddy. I'll be at the game Saturday lord willing
Packchem91
Cornpack said:

Packchem91 said:

TraCha4 said:

Don't forget the fact that almost 25% of the countries on Earth gained independence from England during her reign which is absolutely bonkers
right -- i didn't know that #, but I knew their era of colonialism had finally dried up during her reign. Crazy to think of India and HK being under her control at one point.
Packchem91
Glasswolf said:

May she Rest In Peace. What a remarkable life. Guess Prince Charles finally gets to be king now
I hope he's not as much of a ***** as the show portrays him to be.
TheStorm
Packchem91 said:

Cornpack said:

Packchem91 said:

TraCha4 said:

right -- i didn't know that #, but I knew their era of colonialism had finally dried up during her reign. Crazy to think of India and HK being under her control at one point.
India's independence came before her reign started (1947)... Hong Kong was a 99 year lease from China that ended in 1997.
BBW12OG
Glasswolf said:

Thank you buddy. I'll be at the game Saturday lord willing
I wish I was coming.... too much work to do to catch up from the week long vacation. Cheer them on.... and hopefully we see about 3 QB's Saturday night....... and a running game....
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
- Thomas Jefferson
PackFansXL
TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

Cornpack said:

India's independence came before her reign started (1947)... Hong Kong was a 99 year lease from China that ended in 1997.
I bet folks from Hong Kong would much prefer to be back under British rule than their current government.
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

Cornpack said:

Packchem91 said:

TraCha4 said:

Well dayum, thanks for the correction, I thought she was involved with India's independence.

As XL said, I'd bet if the folks of HK had a choice, they'd prefer to still be part of UK.
Oldsouljer
Packchem91 said:

Glasswolf said:

I hope he's not as much of a ***** as the show portrays him to be.
Well, perhaps he'll reflect on where Charles, first of that name, ended up, and shape hisself up.
PackFansXL
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/king-charles-ascends-the-throne-after-queen-elizabeths-death/

Quote:

The former Prince Charles became the king of the United Kingdom and its 14 realms on Thursday after his mother, Queen Elizabeth II, died at the age of 96.

Charles, the queen's eldest son and the longest-serving heir in British history, became king immediately after his mother passed, as prescribed by the British laws of succession. He also inherited other assets including land and property.

Charles Philip Arthur George will officially be known as King Charles III. He is set to address the U.K. for the first time as king on Friday, according to The BBC. He will then officially be proclaimed king during a ceremonial gathering on Saturday.

At 73, he will be the oldest British monarch ever crowned.

Great Britain's national anthem will change from God Save the Queen to God Save the King. The lyrics will be updated to swap out "queen" in favor of "king" and female pronouns will change to male pronouns.

Meanwhile, bank notes featuring the queen will remain legal tender at least until the period of official mourning ends, at which point the Bank of England is expected to provide additional information.

William is now first in line to the throne and is expected to inherit the title Duke of Cornwall, at which point he would inherit the Duchy of Cornwall, which is a 150,000 acre estate with a yearly income of $27 million.
Ellesdad
I wonder if there will be a monarchy in 50 years.
Packchem91
Ellesdad said:

Its becoming increasingly figure-headish already?
I actually think The Crown has probably resonated with lots of English folks and the strength from having a monarch. Now, they also had an incredible affinity for Elizabeth and what she took on at such a young age...and people of her generation likely still hold a lot of sway on public perception.
With Charles, and all his warts played out in public.....just think it will be tough for people to get on board. And he's 73.
William though....seems to have the cache to recapture teh public (who knows though as he becomes increasingly scrutinized now)
Cthepack
Ellesdad said:

There will be.
TheStorm
Cthepack said:

Ellesdad said:

There will be.
Of course there will be.
TheStorm
I'm watching the 96 Gun Salute live right now. Pretty impressive.
ncsualum05
What an amazing woman. Led with grace and class. 70 years of being in the public eye and called upon to say the right things in the face of national disasters, world disasters, FAMILY disasters. Composed and strong. Rest in peace.
Werewolf
Not a fan of the Windsor family......
#Devolution #Expand Your Thinking #Eye of The Storm #TheGreatAwakening
TheStorm
Watched as much of this as I could yesterday... a historic moment in time.
Oldsouljer
Werewolf said:

Maybe you'd like them better if they were the Coburg-Saxe-Gotha family.
Werewolf
Oldsouljer said:

Werewolf said:

Maybe you'd like them better if they were the Coburg-Saxe-Gotha family.
You are all over it!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.