North Wilkesboro reopened for racing

4,495 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Wolfer79
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CARS Tour founder and president Jack McNelly says they're expecting just under 20,000 fans for the race tomorrow at North Wilkesboro Speedway.

They've opened up the Turn 1 and 2 stands to accommodate the increased demand.

wolf howl
I wanted to go to the first race they had when it reopened just to see it but couldn't make it happen. I did have friends and family that went and loved it. Great time and it was PACKED. Glad they opened up additional seating especially with Dale Jr. running this week, lots of Earnhardt fans will come out I'm sure.
Everpack
I've got tickets for me and my old man to go tomorrow night. Excited to see the atmosphere more than anything. Also planning on going back in October when they run the WoO super late models on dirt.
Wolfer79
Everpack
It was a full house when the green flag dropped for the CARS race. Dale Jr brought the crowd. Great racing and a really cool experience. Walking into the track was like stepping back to 1996. Well worth my $50 for two tickets and the fuel to get here. I will definitely be back to see them run on dirt in October. And here's to hoping this Revival and the repaving next year brings racing back to North Wilkesboro and tracks like it.
PoleD
Yep and our very own BJ Barham was the Grand Marshal and drove the official Dodge pace car to start the race.

In case you don't know BJ is the lead singer and founder of the band American Aquarium. They were the headliner for this year's Packaplooza.
ncsupack1
Nice to see that place have some racing. Hopefully it continues.
Steve Williams
Staff
How was the racing? Did Jr win?
Wolfer79
Steve Williams said:

How was the racing? Did Jr win?

I saw Junior 3rd
Carson Kvapil 1st
Mason Diaz
Jonathan Shafer
Bobby McCarty
Macumbe
I'm so glad the event was a success....not a huge race fan but old enough to know that NASCAR got greedy and took for granted the fans that made it the success that it was. Not sure all the old raceways that had their dates bought then moved to larger tracks but hope they can come back.
Everpack
View from my seat in turn 1 last night. Even saw Tommy Burleson walk by.

Everpack

Do yourself a favor and watch this 16 minutes with Dale Jr after the race last night.
packgrad
Everpack said:

Do yourself a favor and watch this 16 minutes with Dale Jr after the race last night.

That was awesome. Loved that guy.
Tootie4Pack
Everpack said:

Great pics. Was fortunate to go to all of the races there from 1990 Thru 1996. Always had a great time and saw great racing.

Racing downhill on the front stretch, and going uphill on the back stretch. Beautiful country up there.
Wolfer79
A night when anything was possible

After 26 years of dormancy, North Wilkesboro became the center of the racing universe for one more evening. I'm still processing what just happened.

https://www.ncrabbithole.com/p/north-wilkesboro-dale-jr-racing-returns
ncsupack1
Everpack said:

Wow, what a cool picture! Place looks great.
TheStorm
Wolfer79 said:

A night when anything was possible

After 26 years of dormancy, North Wilkesboro became the center of the racing universe for one more evening. I'm still processing what just happened.

https://www.ncrabbithole.com/p/north-wilkesboro-dale-jr-racing-returns
Great article. Thanks for posting!
Everpack

I'll openly admit to being a Jr fan. Mainly because my dad was a Dale Sr fan, so I was, too. Then when Sr died, we did what most everyone else did, became fans of Dale Jr. My interest in NASCAR has faded a bunch over the last 10+ years, with it pretty much going to zero when Jr hung it up. I've kept up with him through his media stuff and always felt like he didn't really understand how big of a deal he was. He's just always seemed to be just a dude, who just happened to be stock cars prince. I've sort immersed myself into this North Wilkesboro stuff this week and I think it's just really cool to see someone of Jr's stature be the one carrying the beer cooler to victory lane for a kid he has hopes for and being the first one waiting on his driver to get to a historical victory lane. In a world where bigger and better and more money seems to always win, it's good to see some old school be better, even if just for a night.
PoleD

Bell Tower Grey
PoleD said:

"Know what I mean, Vern? "

Wolfer79
North Wilkesboro expected to host 2023 NASCAR All-Star Race

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/north-wilkesboro-2023-nascar-all-star-race/10365295/
ncsupack1
Really hope that the track takes off. I'm not even going to try and get tickets..lol
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
ncsupack1
This is awesome! Glad that this happening.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Officials unveiled the format Thursday for the 2023 NASCAR All-Star Race, which will use a pit-crew challenge to set the starting lineups for qualifying heats, all ahead of a purposely no-frills main event to highlight the return of North Wilkesboro Speedway.
The invitational winner will be determined by 200 laps, with just a competition break at or around Lap 100. Both green-flag and caution laps will count, and overtime rules will be in effect.
Each team will start on new tires for the All-Star Race, and have three additional sets to use. After the competition break, only one additional set of new "sticker" tires can be used.

The more traditional feel of the race meshes with the rebirth of the historic 0.625-mile track, which will mark its first appearance on the NASCAR schedule since 1996 with the All-Star Race on May 21 (8 p.m. ET, FS1, MRN, SiriusXM). Preliminary events include the return of the Craftsman Truck Series (May 20, 1:30 p.m. ET, FOX, MRN, SiriusXM), plus Late Model contests for the CARS Tour (May 17) and the ASA Stars National Tour (May 16).

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2023/04/06/all-star-race-format-revealed-for-north-wilkesboro-return/
ncsupack1
Can't wait to see this race. I'm not going but know a few that are. Should be lots of fun.
Wolfer79
TheStorm
https://www.speedwaydigest.com/index.php/news/nascar-cup-series-news/77170-the-legacy-continues-stp-will-sponsor-erik-jones-and-the-iconic-no-43-chevrolet-for-nascar-s-all-star-race-at-north-wilkesboro-speedway

This sounds like it could be pretty cool for some of us old timers...
Wolfer79
ncsupack1
Interesting. Can't think of one off the top of my head.
wolf howl
Can't imagine the amount of work that's gone into getting the track, facilities and surrounding areas ready for this event.
ncsupack1
wolf howl said:

Can't imagine the amount of work that's gone into getting the track, facilities and surrounding areas ready for this event.

I've been out there and yes, a lot of work has gone into this from SMI and NASCAR.
caryking
ncsupack1 said:

wolf howl said:

I've been out there and yes, a lot of work has gone into this from SMI and NASCAR.
Wouldn't it be awesome if they got a date on the Winston Cup Series?
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.