Wokeism Is Corrupting Medical Education and Endangering Patients

1,602 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by packgrad
PackFansXL
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/07/wokeism-is-corrupting-medical-education-and-endangering-patients/

Quote:

This month, medical-school graduates will begin their postgraduate training positions and residencies nationwide. They'll primarily work at teaching hospitals, which are charged with ensuring that these future physicians uphold the highest standards of patient care. Yet woke ideology is undermining this essential part of medical education in two ways. First, admissions and testing standards are being lowered in the name of diversity and equity. Second, victimization culture is making it harder to give low-performing and unqualified residents the feedback they need to avoid endangering patients.

This decline is being driven by trends in medical school, where activists have pressured administrators to drop strict testing standards on the grounds that testing is racist. At least 40 institutions and counting have given in, dropping MCAT requirements mainly for those who are "underrepresented in medicine."

The lowering of standards on the front end of medical school is now matched by less grading at the back end. This year, the United States Medical Licensing Exam's first section, which residency programs have typically relied on to select candidates, has replaced objective grades with a pass/fail system. The medical-school deans who approved this seismic shift away from merit explicitly did so to allow more minority students to qualify for competitive residency programs.

Consider a study published in the prominent journal Academic Medicine in May. It asserted that lower scores by minority residents on evaluations of professionalism, medical knowledge, and readiness for independent practice can be ascribed to only three things: bias from supervising physicians, a worse training environment, or racist testing. At no point did the study authors consider a more obvious conclusion: that lower scores reflect genuinely weaker performance, an unsurprising result of years of lowering standards.

An attending physician at a prominent institution recently told my organization that residents now have the power and they're not afraid to use it against the physicians who are supposed to be their supervisors. Physicians rightly worry that administrators will take the residents' side in a dispute: What they know to be a necessary corrective action, the medical diversity-industrial complex could easily see as grounds for termination. So the physicians often stay silent, except with the most egregious mistakes.
There are so many unintended consequences of relying on Progressive policies. Knowledge of what is occurring in medical schools could actually drive normally unbiased people to suspect an otherwise competent physician is incompetent simply because they are the products of lowered standards at medical schools and residency programs.
GuerrillaPack
I refuse to call these insane people "woke" or "progressive". They are blind dupes, led by ravening Marxist wolves. And their Satanic ideology is regressive, acting to degrade our academic institutions, quality of life, and society as a whole.

Quote:

The medical-school deans who approved this seismic shift away from merit explicitly did so to allow more minority students to qualify for competitive residency programs
White people are quickly becoming the minority in the United States. They are already a minority in many states - like Hawaii, California, Texas, Nevada, New Mexico, and Maryland.

Will white people ever get the benefit of these "affirmative action" programs, when they are clear minorities? Or will they always be on the negative end of these policies, with the policies favoring non-whites and punishing whites?

Could it be that all of this insanity is actually an ANTI-WHITE agenda? Could it be that the Left doesn't truly care about helping those who are discriminated against? Rhetorical question. They openly advocate discrimination against whites. They blatantly demonize white/European peoples.

The reality is there is a highly sophisticated agenda to destroy the white/European peoples and nations. How could that be? It's because white/European people don't even rule the nations they live in. Their leaders (in media, government, etc) are of a different "tribe"...that looks white, but isn't. We can't really call them out openly can we?
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Glasswolf
"White people are quickly becoming the minority in the United States. They are already a minority in many states - like Hawaii, California, Texas, Nevada, New Mexico, and Maryland."

Weren't these states "non-white to start with? You do realize white people weren't the 1st people in this land right? Unless you are a Native American Indian you immigrated here.
GuerrillaPack
Glasswolf said:

Weren't these states "non-white to start with? You do realize white people weren't the 1st people in this land right? Unless you are a Native American Indian you immigrated here.
The "native" American Indians immigrated to the Americas too. In the beginning, this land was not inhabited by anyone. So actually, not any people are "native" to the land.

And white people were coming to the Americas long, long before 1492 and Columbus. The Vikings, for instance, traveled to and settled parts of North America centuries before Columbus, estimated beginning around 1000 AD. And actually, European/white peoples were coming to North and South America going back to the Phoenicians of Carthage before the time of Christ, with many Roman coins and other artifacts found in the Americas.

There may have been European peoples who first inhabited many of the lands in North America, before any "indians" inhabited those lands.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Glasswolf
GuerrillaPack said:

Glasswolf said:

The "native" American Indians immigrated to the Americas too. In the beginning, this land was not inhabited by anyone. So actually, not any people are "native" to the land.

And white people were coming to the Americas long, long before 1492 and Columbus. The Vikings, for instance, traveled to and settled parts of North America centuries before Columbus, estimated beginning around 1000 AD. And actually, European/white peoples were coming to North and South America going back to the Phoenicians of Carthage before the time of Christ, with many Roman coins and other artifacts found in the Americas.

There may have been European peoples who first inhabited many of the lands in North America, before any "indians" inhabited those lands.
Who was here 1st? Show me proof. Most Indians migrated from Mexico and other S. American countries
GuerrillaPack
Glasswolf said:

GuerrillaPack said:

Glasswolf said:

Who was here 1st? Show me proof. Most Indians migrated from Mexico and other S. American countries
It appears that "indians" arrived in the Americas, sailing from Polynesia. When that was, who knows. The "official" date for the founding of Mayan cities is starting around 750 BC.

If you look in "forbidden" history, you will find that the Phoenicians (from whom many modern-day Europeans descend) were sailing to North and South America. The Phoenician civilization flourished around that same time, with Carthage being founded in the 9th century B.C.

So in reality, you had people sailing to North and South America from both the Pacific and the Atlantic sides, at around the same time.

Let's say that maybe the "indians" were the first to set foot on the western side of South America, founding the Mayan civilization. I think it's equally possible that it was Europeans (Phoenicians, etc) who first set foot on the eastern side of North America, and possibly South America.
Oldsouljer
Glasswolf said:

GuerrillaPack said:

Glasswolf said:

Now there's a novel theory, up until now, I had thought that the Siberian-Alaskan land bridge migration route was universally accepted. I suppose it could work in reverse, with paleo-Americans heading west into Siberia to populate Asia.
PackFansXL
I would be curious to hear some opinions on this movement to reduce or eliminate standards as a method of increasing minority doctors. If I was a minority who worked my butt off to get in to med school and now see some folks skating while simultaneously causing some folks to wonder if I am an affirmative action recipient, I would not be happy about this new trend.

As a potential patient of a doctor who got all this preferential treatment and who may not be competent, I will now do much more research on the education, timing, and reputation of potential doctors than I did previously. I have used some of the background research sites before but I think I will need to be more careful in the future. To be clear, the issue is not a minority doctor or a majority doctor or man or woman. The issue of concern is less competent folks who have been allowed into the field without meeting the most stringent standards.

What about y'all?
PackMom
PackFansXL said:

I would be curious to hear some opinions on this movement to reduce or eliminate standards as a method of increasing minority doctors. If I was a minority who worked my butt off to get in to med school and now see some folks skating while simultaneously causing some folks to wonder if I am an affirmative action recipient, I would not be happy about this new trend.

As a potential patient of a doctor who got all this preferential treatment and who may not be competent, I will now do much more research on the education, timing, and reputation of potential doctors than I did previously. I have used some of the background research sites before but I think I will need to be more careful in the future. To be clear, the issue is not a minority doctor or a majority doctor or man or woman. The issue of concern is less competent folks who have been allowed into the field without meeting the most stringent standards.

What about y'all?
Yes, I'm with you. If I have to change again I'll be doing more research. Finally all my doctors but maybe one are younger than I am so I don't except most of them to retire real soon.

When I transcribed court hearings and depositions, I transcribed a lot of doctors, some local. There were a few I would certainly never go to after that.
PackFansXL
PackMom said:

PackFansXL said:

What about y'all?
Yes, I'm with you. If I have to change again I'll be doing more research. Finally all my doctors but maybe one are younger than I am so I don't except most of them to retire real soon.

When I transcribed court hearings and depositions, I transcribed a lot of doctors, some local. There were a few I would certainly never go to after that.
Hey Mom, have you found sources you find especially trustworthy when researching doctors?
PackMom
The most recent is a retired doctor friend whose family I've known for decades. But I'll probably need to find some good sites. Can't remember now but I've seen some that listed doctors as still in the town they did a residency when I know they've moved to private practice in other locations.
PackFansXL
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/top-med-schools-weed-out-applicants-who-dont-support-dei-new-report-says/

Quote:

The best medical schools in the country are weeding out applicants who are insufficiently devoted to the leftist creed of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI), according to a new report released by the non-profit Do No Harm.

"A review of the admissions process at 50 of the top-ranked medical schools found that 36 asked applicants their views on, or experience in, DEI efforts," reads the Do No Harm report, which was obtained by National Review. "Many were overt in asking applicants if they agreed with certain statements about racial politics and the causes of disparate health outcomes."

According to the report, medical schools are asking these questions in order to "turn ideological support for health equity and social justice initiatives into a credential that increases an applicant's chance of acceptance," "screen out dissenters," and "signal to all applicants that they are expected to support this new cause."

"Top medical schools have woven their commitment to woke politics into their application process, asking future doctors to prove their commitment to divisive ideologies or risk being rejected from medical school." concludes the report.

Dr. Stanley Goldfarb founded Do No Harm after serving as associate dean at the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine. In his view, the use of ideologically slanted application questions will stunt the development of those applicants who do make it through the gauntlet to enter a top medical school.
You can read actual questions from several medical schools in the article. Truly disturbing stuff.
packgrad
PackFansXL said:

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/top-med-schools-weed-out-applicants-who-dont-support-dei-new-report-says/

Quote:

The best medical schools in the country are weeding out applicants who are insufficiently devoted to the leftist creed of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI), according to a new report released by the non-profit Do No Harm.

"A review of the admissions process at 50 of the top-ranked medical schools found that 36 asked applicants their views on, or experience in, DEI efforts," reads the Do No Harm report, which was obtained by National Review. "Many were overt in asking applicants if they agreed with certain statements about racial politics and the causes of disparate health outcomes."

According to the report, medical schools are asking these questions in order to "turn ideological support for health equity and social justice initiatives into a credential that increases an applicant's chance of acceptance," "screen out dissenters," and "signal to all applicants that they are expected to support this new cause."

"Top medical schools have woven their commitment to woke politics into their application process, asking future doctors to prove their commitment to divisive ideologies or risk being rejected from medical school." concludes the report.

Dr. Stanley Goldfarb founded Do No Harm after serving as associate dean at the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine. In his view, the use of ideologically slanted application questions will stunt the development of those applicants who do make it through the gauntlet to enter a top medical school.
You can read actual questions from several medical schools in the article. Truly disturbing stuff.

That's how you get medical "professionals" saying transgenderism is not a mental illness.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.