My dog tore his second CCL

497 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by caryking
WolfQuacker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
5 year old lab/hound mutt (42lb) went and tore his second CCL Friday. First round we had repaired by a traveling surgeon at our local vet with a TPLO surgery. He now has arthritis in that repaired leg as well and was favoring it prior to the second tear so this is a double edged sword.

Options:

Do nothing - vet says a fair number of clients choose to do nothing surgically and eventually most dogs will build fibrous tissue that will allow them to use the leg, usually at some diminished capacity.

Surgery:
NC State and a couple other board certified are on a longer wait - not taking consolts until August. ~$5,500 and up to do the surgery.

Non-board certified surgeon at my vet, estimated ~4,500

Either way, arthritis in both legs is highly likely, so he'll be dealing with some long-term mobility and pain.

Curious if anyone has had a dog tear both CCLs, or if if just one, what was your chosen treatment and results and would you do it again?
Glasswolf
No suggestions but damn I'm praying for complete recovery for your fur baby
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

PackFansXL
WolfQuacker said:

5 year old lab/hound mutt (42lb) went and tore his second CCL Friday. First round we had repaired by a traveling surgeon at our local vet with a TPLO surgery. He now has arthritis in that repaired leg as well and was favoring it prior to the second tear so this is a double edged sword.

Options:

Do nothing - vet says a fair number of clients choose to do nothing surgically and eventually most dogs will build fibrous tissue that will allow them to use the leg, usually at some diminished capacity.

Surgery:
NC State and a couple other board certified are on a longer wait - not taking consolts until August. ~$5,500 and up to do the surgery.

Non-board certified surgeon at my vet, estimated ~4,500

Either way, arthritis in both legs is highly likely, so he'll be dealing with some long-term mobility and pain.

Curious if anyone has had a dog tear both CCLs, or if if just one, what was your chosen treatment and results and would you do it again?
I was talking with a neighbor who was walking her dog a couple of weeks ago. My dog was so eager to go have a chat with her dog that he ignored his own injury and went out the front door for a "chat". I mentioned his injury and she told me about her dog's ACL injuries. First one followed by surgery and less than 12 months later, the second ACL tore. She didn't mention the specific surgery but the dog has obviously recovered well from the surgeries and gets around quite well. Regardless, that's a lot of cash! Do you have canine insurance?
mrcpack17
WolfQuacker said:

Options:

My dog had this happen to his happen to him. My vet gave me the same options you outlined but sort of encouraged me to take the do nothing approach. She said dogs are very resilient and can often times recover from things like this without need for surgery.

He was 4 when it happened and he made it to the ripe old age of 14. Never really showed signs of mobility issues with the leg until later in his life, which I attribute more to old age than anything else. Hope your pup heals up well.

ETA: He was a 60lb border collie/retriever mix for reference and only 1 leg had the tear, not both.
caryking
Wolfquacker, I hate to hear that. Our dogs and cats are very precious. I know we spent a fortune on our dog until we ultimately had to put him down.

I don't want to suggest you spend money; however, my wife and I emotionally couldn't let our dog go with some of his aches, prior to putting him down.
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.