Naomi Judd takes her life

1,674 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Packchem91
Bell Tower Grey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just damn. The lack of treatment for mental health in this country should never have gotten as bad as it has become today.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/naomi-judd-member-of-the-judds-dies-at-76
Glasswolf
Damn..
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

Mormad
Wow. Saddened by this.
Steve Videtich
Bell Tower Grey said:

Just damn. The lack of treatment for mental health in this country should never have gotten as bad as it has become today.

Agreed! One of our biggest issues that creates so many others. Very sad when you see this!

Oldsouljer
Bell Tower Grey said:

We got money for all kinds of crap, foreign wars, etc., but when it comes to securing our boarders, mental health, etc., it isn't there. To this day, I can't help but wonder what the state of North Carolina intended as a replacement for the closure and sale of Dorothea Dix.
hokiewolf
Oldsouljer said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

We got money for all kinds of crap, foreign wars, etc., but when it comes to securing our boarders, mental health, etc., it isn't there. To this day, I can't help but wonder what the state of North Carolina intended as a replacement for the closure and sale of Dorothea Dix.
they opened Central Regional in Butner to replace it.

Additionally, Duke opened a behavioral health ER at Durham Regional and Wake Med is looking to do something similar
Packchem91
Bell Tower Grey said:

Wow, that's terrible. Amd I 100% agree with your concerns about lack of mental health care. It's a severe issue, from pre-teens to old folks
Wolfpackrich1
Mental health is needed for everybody. All health care in this country is getting harder and harder because of expense. All helath care costs are going up and care is going down. I am sorry for the Judd family. So very sad.
TheStorm
I hate this as much as the next person here, but I seriously doubt that the Judd family had a lack of resources with being able to get their matriarch proper care in this instance.

Sounds like as far as the family is concerned, that this couldn't have been avoided outside of a "cure".
TheStorm
What do you do in a instance where the family could have had the individual in a care facility, but the individual didn't want that? Is the family then criminally negligent if that individual then hurts themselves? Just a question for those that always feel that someone always has to be held accountable.
Bell Tower Grey
One thing I know is that the person that is sick has to want to help themself, but the kicker is they may just be too tired to try to fight it any more. They may have all the resources money can buy, but the constant weight and battle to be better is something that no one understands, even the person fighting the battle.

Early intervention may help with some cases, but not always. Drugs may help, but making sure the person takes them as prescribed is a chore itself. Hospitalization, when available, may help. I don't think mental illness is ever cured, not even completely controlled. It's too vicious an animal to ever be tamed.

It's scary for those of us on the outside looking in, but terrorizing for those inside that are more often than not begging to "be normal".

I don't know what the answers are, but it scares the hell out of me for families and individuals dealing with it.
Bell Tower Grey
Damn...uncommon but not unheard of for a woman to use a gun to take their life, but:

Naomi Judd died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to daughter Ashley Judd.

Ashley appeared Wednesday on "Good Morning America" to speak out about her mother's death.

"She used a weapon… my mother used a firearm," Ashley said. "So that's the piece of information that we are very uncomfortable sharing, but understand that we're in a position that if we don't say it someone else is going to."

"It was a mixed day," the actress explained. "I visit with my mom and pop every day when I'm home in Tennessee, so I was at the house visiting as I am every day. Mom said to me, 'Will you stay with me?' and I said, 'Of course I will.'… I went upstairs to let her know that her good friend was there and I discovered her. I have both grief and trauma from discovering her."
TheStorm
You would have thought she would have heard the gunshot? But I guess it really doesn't matter... the end result was the same. Lucky that she didn't decide to take somebody else with her I guess...
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

I hate this as much as the next person here, but I seriously doubt that the Judd family had a lack of resources with being able to get their matriarch proper care in this instance.

Sounds like as far as the family is concerned, that this couldn't have been avoided outside of a "cure".

The sick person has to want help. Family members have to be willing to accept what the issue is (a sickness) instead of denying their loved one has one a sickness probably a much bigger issue in the past than today where it is more acceptable to seek mental health.

And then the docs have to find the right meds (or mix of meds) and the sick has to take them appropriately. Some meds work great on one person but not another, or cause the person to feel so blah, that they don't want to take it

It's a difficult battle, and I feel for all families going thru it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.